Multiwinia crashes every 2nd or 3rd match...

Get community help for technical problems

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

MadrMan
level0

Postby MadrMan » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:11 pm

I wish. :(
Looking at your log spookster it does look like you're running out of ram. it says its only using 74% of RAM but you got 4gb of ram which multiwinia (which is 32 bit) can't completely use so it is actually at its max.

Both of our stackstraces seem to have a sound path in it so it's likely to be a sound problem, but considering we both have different sound cards and different OSes and it doesnt seem to be a problem everyone is getting i dont know anything that the both of us have.
You seem to have an ATI card and the same drivers as me so that could be the cause, but i dont see how that is related to the sound.
It's possible the latest ATI drivers have a bug in the OpenGL code that is sucking up the memory, and the code crashes in some sound related section because it tries to allocate more memory there (but even then a lot of ATI users should be reporting this.., im just wildy guessing here)

It's up to the IV team to either fix it or give us clues on how to do it or what's causing it because i'm running out of ideas.. :(

Does it crash for you if you start a match and leave it open for an hour or so? because it does for me.
spookster
level1
level1

Postby spookster » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:03 am

yup game crashes when i let it run for a while, and yes it is using a LOT of RAM...
otherchirps
level0

Postby otherchirps » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:39 pm

I've been having these symptoms for a while now (since July or so). Haven't piped up about it since I'm running Steam + Multiwinia under WINE (1.1.32) on Ubuntu, so I never expected support (or that this was happening to "native" windows users). :) Just for clarity's sake, I still don't expect support, but if I can inadvertently cough up a clue that helps fix this, all the better.

Consistently I get about 8 minutes-ish into a 10 minutes match, and bam! Out of swap space (multiwinia using between 1.4 to 1.8GB), and the game slows to a crawl. Then hangs. Then if I'm lucky I can kill it. Prior to this, everything works well. So it's looking very much like an out of memory thing. My system is a 2GB box, with a 256MB nVidia card.

Unfortunately, I don't see any crash logs -- as I said, things hang rather than explode. Judging from the other posts this problem happens a bit more slowly for proper windows boxes (someone was saying they managed to get 3 matches in, versus my 8/10ths?), so it might be easier to recreate on wine.
If there's another helpful log that steam or multiwinia drops, let me know.

Out of anecdotal interest, I also see folks pointing at sound drivers as potential causes. One of the weakest links I've found, in getting windows games running on wine, has always been the sound support. Usually, it doesn't eat memory though. It normally just doesn't work. But who knows?
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:38 pm

On a complete side note, you can run the retail version of Multiwinia with Wine instead of Steam. You can get your CD-Key from the multiwinia folder in steamapps/common (there's a file without an extention - open with notepad/whatever).
spookster
level1
level1

Postby spookster » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:55 pm

i installed catalyst 9.11, still the game uses up ram like there would be an endless amount of it.
so on the second game it crashed.
i will restart the game after every game from now on.
this is no fix, but a workaround.
MadrMan
level0

Postby MadrMan » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:11 am

Yea that's what i've been doing, restarting the game after each round. It's rather annoying though :(
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:51 am

spookster wrote:i installed catalyst 9.11, still the game uses up ram like there would be an endless amount of it.
so on the second game it crashed.
i will restart the game after every game from now on.
this is no fix, but a workaround.

Did you try disabling in-game sound? You said you changed which soundcard you were using but you didn't say if you tired disabling it all together.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
spookster
level1
level1

Postby spookster » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:44 pm

is there an option to do that for the game or do i have to disable my soundcards in windows?
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:35 pm

Well, in the settings in the game there is the Master Volume that you can turn all the way down, but I don't know if that disables sound or mutes it (there's a huge difference). In any case, it can't hurt to try. Also restart the game after turning it off through there.
otherchirps
level0

Postby otherchirps » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:26 pm

NeatNit wrote:On a complete side note, you can run the retail version of Multiwinia with Wine instead of Steam. You can get your CD-Key from the multiwinia folder in steamapps/common (there's a file without an extention - open with notepad/whatever).

Thanks very much for that! It looks like I can run the retail version fine. Weird. Maybe a steam problem, rather than a MW one? My other steam games don't seem to suffer though. Both MW copies look like they're running version 1.3.0.

Finally managed to crush that red tribe... No more Act of Crash to save them. :)

--
Whoops. Spoke too soon. Now I get a few games (4 or 5) before the memory limit is hit. Definitely a big improvement, though, compared with the steam version, where I have less than one game.
Alexw
level0

Postby Alexw » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:01 am

I think I had the same problem as you, I couldn't get through a 10min game! I never saw Multiwinia actually using the RAM, but the crash log had 58% usage on 4GB so it sounds similar. I changed the sound options, I had it on 44hz High and 64 channels. I changed it to 22hz Med and 32 respectively - no more crashes!
arnout091
level0

Postby arnout091 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:09 pm

I have the same problem. Memory just keeps hogging up until it crashes Multiwinia. Using Steam version 1.3.0, ATI Graphics, etc. Filed an error report earlier this evening, tweaked some settings, nothing helps.
Thaddeus
level0

Postby Thaddeus » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:08 am

Same problem here, 4 gb system on 32bit. Multiwinia uses ~1.2 gigabytes, crashes after a while. Fix is to restart after every round.
arnout091
level0

Postby arnout091 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:20 am

I tried the "demo method" but it doesn't have any effect. Multiwinia just eats away the entire RAM until it crashes. No problems with Darwinia though. What to do?
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:25 pm

Did you try tweaking the sound quality like Alexw suggested?

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”