Bizarre Blitz happenstances.

General discussion about Game Play

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Pinky
level2
level2

Bizarre Blitz happenstances.

Postby Pinky » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:50 am

I just had a game of Blitz against Imeanunoharm and some french guyn whose tag began with 'mini', and a Blue CPU.

Frenchy was top-left, Imeanunoharm was top-right, CPU was bottom-left, and I was bottom-right.

At the end of the game, situation was thus:

Imeanunoharm: 4 flags, his home flag, the flag between me and him, the flag between him and Frenchy, and the center flag.

Frenchy: 2 flags, his home flag, and the one between him and the CPU

CPU: No flags, eliminated for not having control over anything at the end of the game.

Pinky: 3 flags, the Pinky-CPU line, including both our home flags.

This raises three questions:

First, why is the CPU so bad? In fifteen waves, Frenchy got one, Imeanunoharm got two, I got the other thirteen, ten of which were straight towards my home flag. Every time units spawned, Blue would arrive with the previous spawn and cut my numbers in half. It did this even when I didn't have the Pinky/CPU flag but Frenchy had the CPU/Frenchy flag. This effectivley took me out of the competition for Imeanunoharm's flags.

Second, I won this game. Are home flags worth more than other flags, or something?

Third: Are games unranked by default now? Becuase no-one said unranked, yet the Ladder says the game was unranked.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Re: Bizarre Blitz happenstances.

Postby Mas Tnega » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:20 pm

Pinky wrote:First, why is the CPU so bad? In fifteen waves, Frenchy got one, Imeanunoharm got two, I got the other thirteen, ten of which were straight towards my home flag. Every time units spawned, Blue would arrive with the previous spawn and cut my numbers in half. It did this even when I didn't have the Pinky/CPU flag but Frenchy had the CPU/Frenchy flag. This effectivley took me out of the competition for Imeanunoharm's flags.
I'm guessing it went for you because it didn't like you.

Second, I won this game. Are home flags worth more than other flags, or something?
Eliminating an opponent is worth 10 flags.

Third: Are games unranked by default now? Becuase no-one said unranked, yet the Ladder says the game was unranked.
CPU from start = Unranked.
Pinky
level2
level2

Postby Pinky » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:24 pm

Thanks for clearing that up. Except for the CPU thing, which remains as mysterious as ever.
MikeTheWookiee
level4
level4

Postby MikeTheWookiee » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:37 pm

You mean 'why is the cpu awful'?

It's what separates men from machines - the ability to improvise and learn from your mistakes.
Pinky
level2
level2

Postby Pinky » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:44 am

I don't mean "why is the CPU awful", I mean "why is the CPU such a dick?".

It was like trying to fight a spawn camper in any other game, without the horrid voice chat.

Really the only thing that won me the game was that Imeanunoharm didn't attack. With the forces he had, he could've wiped me out in an instant.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:19 pm

That's the thing, it isn't being a dick. The AI can't prioritize as well as we can, isn't more likely to take revenge for an attack, team up against a stronger foe, etc. Those are psychological strategies it would be hard to make it use, I think.
What I've seen it do on other modes, is to go for unprotected areas, or areas with few MWs. On Blitz, though, I think I've seen it do stuff like you said, instead of the above, so it's either a tweak that is not quite working, or a combination of AI directives making it focus on just one opponent.

Return to “Gameplay Discussion”