Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Mark
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Credit where Credit is Due!

Postby Mark » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:45 pm

We got this mail the other day:

Hello Chris. My name is Robert Gergely. You may remember that in 2003 I contacted you with regard to my S3M music (mystique part 1 & 2 under timelord) for your game Uplink and we came to an agreement with a check issued. I was very pleased to learn that the game has become very successful for you since its release on Steam! Congratulations. I am however, in need of your help.

I was looking at the soundtrack section for the game on wikipedia and nearly all of the other composers have real name credits listed for their work. I am having a lot of trouble getting my name to "stick" due to the fact that my identity is not easy to verify, I didn't include my real name in those tracks.

Would it be possible to have some sort of official mention of my name for the record? I am only seeking to get proper credit listed on the wikipedia page. I'm not sure how to do this, but I think the easiest way is to update the FAQ on your official uplink site. Could this be possible?

Thanks very much for your time and assistance with this matter.

Rob Gergely

I want to issue a public apology to Rob that we neglected to provide any evidence that he was part of the process. I hope this forum post clears it all up and I also help that some of the right-minded Uplink fans will shoot to the wikipedia page now and help set the record straight.
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:02 pm

Was added last night by Wikipedia user Radak. I've added a link to this thread as verification.
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:41 am

Timelord wrote:Just to see if I understand the facts correctly: several years after the game was published and distributed, someone wanting money contacted the game publisher claiming he had written some of the music used in the game in the previous decade, though he had no concrete proof of authorship and his identity was not mentioned in the music files themselves, and someone actually wrote a check out to the guy? Amazing.

Um... no. Several years ago, someone wrote some music that was used in a game, but he published that music under a nom de plume that he no longer uses. In order to get appropriate attribution in the future, he has asked that the credit be modified for future reference. No checks were written, and one assumes that IV know who they are dealing with.
robg
level0

Postby robg » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:25 pm

Hi, I'm Rob.

The person registered as "Timelord" on the forum here has done so under false pretenses. He also tried to take credit for my work in 2006 on another site shortly after Uplink was released on Steam.

The administrator at modarchive.org decided to look into this matter more closely, and if you are interested you can read his conclusions here:

http://sagamusix.de/other/timelord/

Return to “General”