Testers Wanted

Moderated discussion about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Stormchild
level2
level2

Testers Wanted

Postby Stormchild » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:18 am

I have recently updated some mod code to work with version 1.55 of Uplink and now it just needs testing. To this end, I have compiled TestMod!
I would appreciate it if people would take the time to download and play around with it for a while, and see if they can spot any errors or mistakes that I have missed.

Features

* InterNIC DNS database and corporate nameservers
* Missions to change DNS records on the above
* Companies other than Uplink now sell software
* Purchase auxiliary gateways to act as remote fileservers
* If you have to nuke your gateway, Uplink will reconnect you to an auxiliary gateway of your choice
* Random SPAM!
* And Viruses

New Software

Compressor / Decompressor
Makes files smaller, and then bigger again.

Compiler / Decompiler
As of this build, these are more of a technical test rather than a useful tool. The decompiler turns a program file into a set of source files, and the compiler turns them back into a program file. In future builds, there will be hidden source files to recover for use with the compiler.

HUD_KeyMapper
Allows you to map programs to the function keys. Pressing the function key launches the mapped program.

Viruses
Do a variety of things ranging from the creation of random data files through to the scrambling of any program file you are stupid enough to run it on :)

Future Plans

Adaptive security is nearly finished, and will be merged in for the next build once a few technical issues are resolved.

Feedback

Anyone attempting to heap praise on this cobbled together mess will be ignored :) I don't want to know what works, I want to know what doesn't. I want to know what it takes to break the mod, and the easier it is to do so the happier I will be. After all, I'm going to get bored very quickly if I don't have any bugs to fix.

Download

http://www.iridiaprime.co.uk/uplink/testmod.zip

The mod works with a fresh installation of the non-steam version of Uplink, version 1.54 or 1.55. While the mod is technically capable of loading old user files, most of the new features would be lost so the mod forces you to use new users.
Compatability with steam is currently a low priority. If you disagree, feel free to yell abuse at me.

Screenshots

Browse around http://www.iridiaprime.co.uk/uplink/1.55/
Most of the mods displayed there are either in TestMod, or under development for inclusion in future builds.
= Registered Uplink Agent =
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:13 pm

Nice job Stormchild, good idea to put up a mod.
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
Cyberwarrior
level2
level2

Postby Cyberwarrior » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:01 pm

Neat. I like the virus concept, and the compression/decompression - I think this'll help a lot when trying to grab those gigantic databases some companies want you to get! :)

Will there be an anti-virus to de-scramble any files you accidentally (or intentionally?) run a virus on?

The KeyMapper sounds pretty nifty too.
CyberGenesis
level2
level2

Postby CyberGenesis » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:07 pm

I'm wondering if testers are still needed considering the time it's been since posts here have been made, if so i'll install the patch....hell i think i will when i get home just to see how Storm wrote virii into the game...

(Currently at the hospital so i don't have a copy to work with)
Cyberwarrior
level2
level2

Postby Cyberwarrior » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:28 pm

Argh. :? I usually pay more attention to thread dates. My bad.
CyberGenesis
level2
level2

Postby CyberGenesis » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:37 am

i'm on my laptop in class so i still cant use it...no disc and i have Onlink installed.

I still wanna see what he did. I had some ideas last night on how to expand the console useage and such, so i REALLY gotta find $60
CyberGenesis
level2
level2

Postby CyberGenesis » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:37 am

"This program failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem"

thats the error i got...all i did was extract it into my uplink folder
Sabertooth
level1
level1

Postby Sabertooth » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:24 am

I believe you have to install the Visual C++ Express package.
CyberGenesis
level2
level2

Postby CyberGenesis » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:42 am

I have visual studio 6.0....VB/C++ plus other crap...If i needed a compiler to run it i'm sure that would suffice. Besides he didn't say its required...dl it yourself....its just a couple images and an exe.

I'm currently a Software Programming student and work part time for a software company near school. Thats the only reason i have a $1000 piece of software for free >.<
Sabertooth
level1
level1

Postby Sabertooth » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:01 am

Yeah, I actually play that mod on my PC at home but it didn't work here at my work PC. I have all the Dev stuff installed on my home PC and the google results on that error message all point to having to have the Visual C++ dev stuff installed. I dunno if I can install all of it here. No biggie though.
CyberGenesis
level2
level2

Postby CyberGenesis » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:58 am

guess we'll never knwo since storm seems MIA

um...you have the Dev CD don't you? So that may actually be what's causing it. I don't have it yet.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:03 am

You shouldn't need the DevCD to run it, I wouldn't think - DevCD mods use the same resources as standard Uplink (as long as you're patched to the version which the mod is for, i.e. 1.55).
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
CyberGenesis
level2
level2

Postby CyberGenesis » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:13 am

I am patched, but it's the only diff i can find between us. Or that mod just hates me...I think im going to try a clean install on my laptop when i wake up and try then...It's 4 in the damn morning...I just spent 6 hours mindlessly debugging code...sleepy time....
Sabertooth
level1
level1

Postby Sabertooth » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:49 am

I've been browsing forums about that problem all night, and I have some leads that I'm going to follow up when I get home. I'll keep you posted if I find a solution for you. My wife's PC doesn't have any programming resources installed on it, so I'm thinking it'll be a good test platform for me to try on.

I don't think that having the Dev CD is the solution though. That'd be kinda wrong. ><

edit: Right, so I'm having no luck getting this to work on any other machine besides my own PC. :(
Stormchild
level2
level2

Postby Stormchild » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:47 pm

If this is an issue related to having cimpiler related files installed, I may have trouble tracking it down as all my machines are set up for compiling, but I will attempt to find a solution to the problem.

As for being MIA, I was out of the country :P I barely had access to electricity, let alone the internet.

At present there is no way to undo the damage to the files, though if you are lucky and scramble a file enough times, it might scramble into something that works :P

There is also an updated keymapper sitting here, I shall merge it into the mod while trying to make the download work properly.

And testers are always wanted, us poor mod writers never get much feedback :(
= Registered Uplink Agent =

Return to “Uplink in Moderation”