Uplink extra stuff and "modded" gateways

Moderated discussion about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Neutralmind
level0

Postby Neutralmind » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:38 am

Okay, I'm very sorry but I really don't have any idea how I'm supposed to get contact to people who use aliases that aren't even creative.
For example Acid burn is created by "L33T H4X0R". Now there can't be many of those with that kind of an original name on the net can there :?
The readme file says "Created by L33T H4X0R", so I'm supposed to find him on the basis of that? I can't contact these guys so I'm sorry for everyone who can't have this "extra stuff" download from here.

<chop-PB>

I'm sorry if you think I'm "morally" wrong in distributing this patch, but imo there is nothing wrong with it, it just makes getting the extras for uplink a bit easier for some people .
I don't want to start arguing. After all it's not my forum, I don't make the rules.
Punisher Bass
level5
level5

Postby Punisher Bass » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:39 pm

I've already told you what to do if you can't get in contact with them, YOU DON'T USE THEIR WORK! And you obviously didn't try looking for their contact info very hard or else you would have found atleast a few people to contact. I already told you you've used my AWOL work and yet you haven't asked me for permission.

Just because you can't/won't contact the creators doesn't mean you can go ahead and distribute their work.
There is no patch for human stupidity.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:00 pm

Neutralmind wrote:I'm sorry if you think I'm "morally" wrong in distributing this patch, but imo there is nothing wrong with it, it just makes getting the extras for uplink a bit easier for some people .
I don't want to start arguing. After all it's not my forum, I don't make the rules.

Taking other peoples work and redistributing it without their permission is wrong by every Intelectual Property law their is, You try and keep distrubiting it, with it containing something made by someone, like PunisherBass, without their permission, you are lining yourself up for a lot of trouble.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
fragmonkey
level1
level1

Postby fragmonkey » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:33 am

I had a nice long post but in the end I figured argument would get me banned, so I will just say:

despite all of the crap involved I did greatly appreciate your modpack, something in that pack got my UL working whereas it wasn't before plus there were alot of those mods I had not heard of/found in my roaming looking for stuff for UL.
Neutralmind
level0

Postby Neutralmind » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:19 pm

I see I can't even distribute my own e-mail address, kind of hard censorship don't you think?
How about I remove your awol gateway from the pack, can I then share the link? Because I think asking to use your gateway at this point would be in vain. If the answer is no (to using the gateway pack), then I guess there's nothing for me to do and no point in commenting any more.

I'm just trying to make peoples lives at least a bit easier, not harder :?
Punisher Bass
level5
level5

Postby Punisher Bass » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:16 am

No you can't use my AWOL work, had you asked before it might have been a different story.

You keep missing the point, since you didn't obtain permission from anyone to use any of their work, you need to discontinue distribution all together. If you make an effort to contact the mod makers and they give their ok, then go right ahead and distribute any kind of mod pack you want, but only if you have permission.

But what would probably be the best solution for you at this point is to simply make a list of the mods you like the best and direct the reader to where they can download them (Modlink or AWOL).

That way no one gets their toes stepped on.

There is no patch for human stupidity.
Neutralmind
level0

Postby Neutralmind » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:23 pm

Punisher Bass wrote:No you can't use my AWOL work, had you asked before it might have been a different story.
That's what I thought...

Punisher Bass wrote:You keep missing the point, since you didn't obtain permission from anyone to use any of their work, you need to discontinue distribution all together. If you make an effort to contact the mod makers and they give their ok, then go right ahead and distribute any kind of mod pack you want, but only if you have permission.
I know what you're point is, and in some level you are right. I should have contacted them, and I would have if it was possible by some normal means.
Punisher Bass wrote:But what would probably be the best solution for you at this point is to simply make a list of the mods you like the best and direct the reader to where they can download them (Modlink or AWOL).

That way no one gets their toes stepped on.

You're forgetting that I repriced the gateways to a sensible level, I would also have to tell everyone how to do that, and that might go against your sense of righteousness, because in some way you might think it's remodding their gateways, which I think it's not.
Some of the gateways' prices had been balanced to match the default gateways but not the pack I have. So I did that.

I don't know why do I even bother trying to argue about this. It's a matter of view and as an admin you can state what views are allowed and what not.
I will stop now if nothing new is set on the table.
daset
level3
level3

Postby daset » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:48 pm

<snip>
Last edited by daset on Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nilao
level0

Postby Nilao » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:45 pm

Just my 2 cents here but I would love to see your legally filed Copyright to this material. If you made something and have not copyrighted it then from a legal standpoint anyone can alter it in anyway they want. It's just not the moral thing to do. And what you are doing by dropping a link is borderline censorship.
m1571k4l
level0

Postby m1571k4l » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:57 pm

http://www.whatiscopyright.org/

Before to many get in on this I think you all should stop by here and read.

I understand all sides here & just want to add there are a FEW hard core players still around and can be found. But in a group of like minded people (Based on HAKCING even if it is a game) what do you expect I have to say here PB your acting like the MAN.

BTW I like A.H.O.L.E. Gateways any how.
Elsniperino
level0

well...

Postby Elsniperino » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:09 pm

I may seem dumb here, and might get flamed (thus the fire suit), but where can I download this. I scanned through the posts and couldn't find a link, but may have skimmed by it. Help appreciated.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:21 pm

Was removed because the poster haven't handled copyright issues.

See Modlink Gateway list instead.
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
Lucrius
level0

Gateways

Postby Lucrius » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:31 pm

Can someone give me an answer?
I'm making my own gateway in program GatewayMaker, I've placed all desires components same as ground, but I have questions about editing connections. This program allowing me to make several connections from one component to another. If I make seven connections from Power component to CPU instead of one will my gateway run faster? If it will, is there any faster way to connect two components together with more then just one connection? Will my gateway work faster with more Power components?

Thanks for reading.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:36 pm

The only things that affect gatway speed are the speed and number of CPUs and the bandwidth of the modem. When you design a gateway, all you're doing is setting the number of slots for the various hardware components and arranging them as you like in the picture representing it.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
Lucrius
level0

Copyright problem

Postby Lucrius » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:51 pm

People, if you use another gamer gateway, modify it, post it like that..., well I have to say that that makes you worse gamer then you really are or could be. Instead of arguing about this you could simply present your knowledge by answering my question that I've posted few minutes ago. Or you can make a gateway better then those you are trying to modify.

Return to “Uplink in Moderation”