Uplink 1.54 Patch/Demo (Windows/Linux)

Discussion about the latest patch

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Rkiver, frenchfrog, JamesL

Flashmaster
level1
level1

Postby Flashmaster » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:37 pm

what is the latest patch for the german version?
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:47 pm

I think it's the shipping version (aka 1.31).
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
neas15us
level0

Postby neas15us » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:30 am

when will 1.55 be out or made?
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:34 am

Are there any significant bugs in 1.54? frenchfrog isn't going to make a new patch just for the hell of it!
neas15us
level0

Postby neas15us » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:10 pm

KingAl wrote:Are there any significant bugs in 1.54? frenchfrog isn't going to make a new patch just for the hell of it!

no need to bite my head off besides it would be nice to have new stuff add too it sh*t
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:00 am

I wasn't meaning to 'bite your head off' :) . I was just making the observation that 1.55 isn't necessarily inevitable.
N0ught
level3
level3

Postby N0ught » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:59 pm

Alright, so I have been working on a new theme for uplink, and I have discovered a couple things:

* Can anyone figure out where the new graphic for the "retire agent" choice from the main menu is being stored? I can't find it.

* Any mod-related maps will have to be renamed to "worldmaplarge_defcon.tif", etc. to override the current Defcon-style maps.

* There are three files now present in the Uplink directory: "patch.dat", "patch2.dat", and "patch3.dat":
~ "Patch.dat" seems to contain a lot of redundant files exactly like those found in the "graphics.dat" file. I wonder why.
~ "Patch2.dat" only contains a "worldmaplarge_mask.tif" file, exactly like the one found in "graphics.dat"... I wonder if this file is even necessary.
~ "Patch3.dat" contains the new Defcon-style maps (with the "_defcon" addition to the filename), including a mask - more proof "patch2.dat" is useless.

---

Anyway, I have a cool new uplink theme in the works, so I better get to work on it. ;)
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:01 pm

The patch.dats may be needed for backwards comptability
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:56 pm

N0ught wrote:* Can anyone figure out where the new graphic for the "retire agent" choice from the main menu is being stored? I can't find it.

graphics.dat, mainmenu\loadgame.tif, mainmenu\loadgame_c.tif, mainmenu\loadgame_h.tif

N0ught wrote:* Any mod-related maps will have to be renamed to "worldmaplarge_defcon.tif", etc. to override the current Defcon-style maps.

Right. (but see below for use of the old world map)

N0ught wrote:* There are three files now present in the Uplink directory: "patch.dat", "patch2.dat", and "patch3.dat":
~ "Patch.dat" seems to contain a lot of redundant files exactly like those found in the "graphics.dat" file. I wonder why.
~ "Patch2.dat" only contains a "worldmaplarge_mask.tif" file, exactly like the one found in "graphics.dat"... I wonder if this file is even necessary.
~ "Patch3.dat" contains the new Defcon-style maps (with the "_defcon" addition to the filename), including a mask - more proof "patch2.dat" is useless.

If you look correctly at Patch.dat you will realize that it contains the stuff needed for LANs, IRC and themes (those feature aren't present in Uplink 1.0 and thus not in graphics.dat).

Patch2.dat contains a more precise worldmaplarge_mask.tif which in turn correct the problems with servers located on water. Also, you can still use the old world map by selecting it in the option menu (only apply at agent creation time).

As for the reason behind the use of patch file, is that it make the patch smaller, no need to include the whole graphics.dat, it's also easier to revert to a older version (like the Dev CD mods) . This is the way unknown companies like Id Software have used for Quake and it's descendant ;)
Swift_Sl0th
level0

Postby Swift_Sl0th » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:17 am

I can't patch the game. I have version 1.47 downloaded from Introversion, when I try to patch the game from a clean install the install button in the patch is blanked out. Does anyone have any advice to fix this?

Thanks
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:24 am

Is the patch installation path the same as where you have the game installed?

KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:07 am

Is it a 'Hacker Elite' version or from Steam? The former is unsupported, and the latter is updated automatically.
adDictNZ
level0

a small problem

Postby adDictNZ » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:06 am

hi all im a big fan of uplink, gives ya a great rush :P but... every patch i have installed since the 1.31 has made the in game buttons and words off center ie: the login screen only shows half of the "uplink" title at the top of the page same with all the buttons (only shows half a button, as with the login name too, also when i mouse over a button i actually have to put the mouse above it like there is button above the actual button that i cant see it just all seems ...off?

when i revert back to 1.31 its all good again. any tips? i would post a screenie but i cant find the image i just got .. big thanks to any help as i would like to play past any 1.31 fixes.

edit: im using the windows version and playing with the "simplyuplink" mod and nothing else no skins tweaks or anything... just in case you needed to know.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:51 am

1) Mods which change the executable aren't compatiable with patched versions later than 1.31.
2) Did you consider seeing what happens when playing without the mod i.e. install Uplink, patch to 1.54?
3) Screenshots are saved to your Uplink directory

adDictNZ
level0

Postby adDictNZ » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:29 am

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/5558 ... hot1ji.jpg

ok it wont let me upload another image of the actual in game shot but it show much the same thing as the login page the shot here is of standard 1.54 nothing else (no mods) if you look at the new user button its highlited but my mouse curser was actually above it not touching the button at all, and i cant even make out my user name. and i makes it really hard to click the buttons.

in the other shot i have got it shows only the botom half of the words for things in the file browser and alot of the other things like the time and date (things at the top of the page didnt show at all (ill try upload it somewhere else)

i just cant seem to figure this one out but playing from the 1.31 patch has got me hooked :P i really like this game.

edit: ok heres the other screenie... hope it helps

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/7643 ... ot29iv.jpg

Return to “Latest Patch”