Uplink 1.50 Patch (Windows/Linux), Demo Windows

Discussion about the latest patch

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Rkiver, frenchfrog, JamesL

frenchfrog
level5
level5

Uplink 1.50 Patch (Windows/Linux), Demo Windows

Postby frenchfrog » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:32 am

As usual, download the windows patch, linux patch (note that it requires all the .dat files to be in lib/) or linux patch with installer.
View the full changelog here.
The windows demo.

On Linux, if you hit a crash please report the relevant part of the ~/uplink/debug.log file, please also report the distro you are using. All testing was done on Ubuntu 6.06 .

Saved games from this version will be incompatible with older versions of Uplink.

Please note that on the linux version, font are bigger to make them easier to read.

Also, lots of changes have been made to gateways, please test.

EDIT: note, there is some problems loading old save game using custom gateways in this version, should be better in the next.

VERSION 1.50

- Fixed : Crashes with custom gateways.

- Changed : Font rendering library on Linux.

- Note : Saved games from this version will be incompatible with older versions of Uplink.
Last edited by frenchfrog on Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jokeyrhyme
level1
level1

Postby jokeyrhyme » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:50 am

Well, nothing unusual so far in the Windows version.

Just a Vista note (I can almost hear the sigh of exasperated programmers everywhere): Uplink needs to "Run as Administrator". Running in normal mode causes a "Fatal Error". I don't even get any debug information. I have to assume it's a file permission thing, but Defcon and Darwinia seem to run flawlessly.

Anyhow, I'll test out the Linux version and post an initial report soon.
Last edited by jokeyrhyme on Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
jokeyrhyme
level1
level1

Postby jokeyrhyme » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:06 am

Okay, Linux version looked at. I'm testing this at 1280x800. Just a few things:

The increased font size means that the "If you are registered as an Uplink Agent..." text above the authorisation box on the main login screen gets wrapped one word too early. "Agent," "below" and "button" all get their own lines, and the bottom half of "button" seems to now fall underneath some invisible black box.

On the Financial tab, there's not enough space between the column headers (AccNo, Balance). The account numbers are so large that they push the balances out of neat vertical alignment.

And I'll probably get used to the new font, but it seems a little difficult to read at first. If possible, could we have a choice to use the old font (the same one as in Windows)? Or can the old font no longer be rendered correctly?

These are only cosmetic things, once I've played with Gateways sufficiently, I'll report again.
jatqceer
level0

linux patch with installer error in MD5 checksums

Postby jatqceer » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:04 am

Code: Select all

$ ./uplink-patch-1.50.sh
Verifying archive integrity...Error in MD5 checksums: 14d92f4ee0cf87374131a9c1484768e4 is different from d7f9ca18b783511d2473a91c94b9e580
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Re: linux patch with installer error in MD5 checksums

Postby frenchfrog » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:02 pm

jatqceer wrote:

$ ./uplink-patch-1.50.sh
Verifying archive integrity...Error in MD5 checksums: 14d92f4ee0cf87374131a9c1484768e4 is different from d7f9ca18b783511d2473a91c94b9e580
Fixed, the file got corrupted in the transfer.
indohack
level0

Postby indohack » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:23 pm

uh can I just patch my game straight to this patch or I have to patch the version in order?
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:55 pm

frenchfrog wrote:This question have already been asked a couple of times, [...] (you only have to get the latest patch).

Now, I simply cannot get why people are asking this question. The last time I saw a game with forced incremental patches must have been Vietcong which is already ~3 years old, incremental patching remind me of the dial-up internet access era, where every bits should be saved. Now, _every_ games provide a full patch, and sometimes a update patch from the last version.
idle
level0

Postby idle » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:50 pm

good job :)
font is ok now and no errors so far.

*edit
ok i found something...
when i got to the "gateway upgrade" page there are some overlaps with the font...
Click
and i think some chars are hard to read.. like a etc..

when i change to another system shell (on my real mashine) uplink exist after a few seconds...
Version 1.50 (RELEASE)
Compiled on Oct 9 2006 at 23:57:43
(code-C)(code-M)(code-T)
./uplink: line 44: 6331 Segmentation fault $here/lib/uplink.bin.x86 "$@
Last edited by idle on Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gentoo
Amd 64 3700+
jokeyrhyme
level1
level1

Postby jokeyrhyme » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:06 am

Okay, found something else. It's very repeatable, but I have only tested it on the Linux version (might apply to Windows but who knows?).

Run Uplink. Login. Open the IRC HUD thingy. Logout. Login. You'll see the OK button telling you you've just signed in. But you'll have the IRC options covering the welcome text. Hit OK. Hello ugliness. I think it's text from the IRC options, peeking through the lines of your bookmark list.

Idle: I don't know if you misread my earlier post, but Uplink Linux does normally give you a ~/.uplink/debug.log file. What I meant, was that under Windows Vista RC2, without Administrator priviledges, Uplink dies before it can even write to the debug.log.
jokeyrhyme
level1
level1

Postby jokeyrhyme » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:34 pm

I can confirm that the IRC HUD Client graphical bug on login exists in the Windows version too. On the plus side, because Windows uses a different font, we don't have any awkward font size issues (wrapping, tabbing, etc) like in the Linux version.

Something I've noticed, and this may have already been discussed: scrollbars. It'd be great to be able to drag them. Forget smooth scrolling if that's a huge can of worms, I don't mind if they snap so that only whole lines of content are displayed. At the moment they still feel only slightly better than not having them at all. Handy for big jumps through lists, but not at all useful for accurate browsing.

Of course, having said that, I realise now that drag 'n' drop doesn't have a role in the game at the moment, and maybe introducing that technique would require touching up all the other widgets, for consistency.

I still have not yet gotten to the point where I can purchase custom gateways. Maybe I'll just make some really cheap ones for testing. I'll get back to you on that.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:12 pm

The IRC hud problem exists since it was added (around Uplink 1.20). It should be fixed in the next release.

The scrollbars should work with mouse drag in the next release.

Also, like stated in the first post, please post the relevant part of your ~/uplink/debug.log file on crash on linux.

Note that there is some pretty cheap and small gateways on http://www.modlink.net/mods.php?modtype ... y&pageid=1 .
Ph4te
level0

Not Installing

Postby Ph4te » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:21 am

when I run the patch, it brings me to the "Select folder where Uplink is installed" page....Install is not available, and when i hit browse OK instantly becomes unavailable to...i can't select the folder where it is installed.
Double You Tea Ef?
ReconMikel
level1
level1

Postby ReconMikel » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:08 am

is there source code available for DevCD owners on the changes in this patch?
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:08 pm

Ph4te: On which version of Uplink are you trying to apply the patch? (it won't work on Steam version.)

ReconMikel wrote:is there source code available for DevCD owners on the changes in this patch?
it's not available, but it`s the next thing I'll attack now that the Linux version seems to _work_ .
offsides
level1
level1

Linux Font Problems

Postby offsides » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:48 pm

I just upgraded to 1.50 (linux) and now I'm having font problems- the font being rendered looks terrible and is too wide for the line spacing it's given, so that I have various problems, such as:

On the opening screen, I see:

If you are registered as an Uplink
Agent,
enter your username and password
below.
Otherwise, click on the New User
button.

On the Code Card Verification screen, where it asks for the verification code I see:

Enter code from Row X,

But the column is on the next row, which is not visible.

And on the Gateway upgrade screen, the names of the gateways very badly overlap the cost unless the gateway name is short.

I'm running a very up-to-date Gentoo 2006.1 system with Xorg 7.1 and KDE 3.5. Let me know what (if anything) more you need to help diagnose the problem.

Thanks for your hard work on the updates!

Return to “Latest Patch”