Who's selling Hacker Elite? IV takes legal action...

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Steeds
level2
level2

Postby Steeds » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:04 pm

Defining irony:

A company that develops and sells a game in which the premise is about Illegal file hacking/copying and then charging them money for it, is taking legal procedings on sites or groups that do illegal file hacking/copying and then charge you money for it....
"If god had meant us not to wear clothes, we would be born naked...."
Leetkey for all your firefox L3375p34k requirements
Lord_Doskias
level4
level4

Postby Lord_Doskias » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:44 am

hahaha!

and also SF have f**d with the code so that you can't use mods or patches

question: when did SF mess with the uplink code so it wont patch? ive got an SF copy from half-price books, and it patches just fine...
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:50 pm

Lord_Doskias wrote:question: when did SF mess with the uplink code so it wont patch? ive got an SF copy from half-price books, and it patches just fine...

The downloadable versions from trygames et al won't work with patches and mods, also possibly some of the boxed editions that were in the budget range and bundled with other games, although I'm not sure about that.
Kamen
level0

Postby Kamen » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:34 pm

The downloadable versions you are speaking of not being compatible with patches or mods, would this be the ActiveMark wrapped version? Though I detest birthdays bringing me ever closer to the grave, I do so enjoy unwrapping gifts :twisted:
Lord_Doskias
level4
level4

Postby Lord_Doskias » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:19 am

ah, gotcha. because i have u:he, and all the mods work fine, but then again, its v1.0; thats before sf were dicks
b1n_bash3r
level1
level1

Postby b1n_bash3r » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:06 pm

piracy is a crime, did you know that 59% of internet users pirate movies and software, thats insane over half of them lol, kinda funny.. but yea, piracy is a crime, and people should pay for the game man, its so more satisfying about getting all the goodies then just downloading a file just to play it (why go through the hastle n the 1st place.. BUY EVERYTHING)
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:28 pm

Indeed.

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
Atomidynamo
level2
level2

Postby Atomidynamo » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:09 pm

hey i got a copy of hacker elite from compusa if that counts....it was in the really cheapy stuff rack for five bucks......last copy left.....
I no longer exist.
erty9999
level0

Postby erty9999 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:33 pm

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://www.yqxia.com//GameView/Game_9299.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Duplinkbank.exe%26start%3D20%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN
Here's a site
It's giving it away for free.
It's in chinese though.
I would copy this and put it in a google search box and when it loades up click translate page.
themodmeister2006
level0

Postby themodmeister2006 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:55 am

i kno 1

i dont know if u allowed them to sell it but i got mine from
http://www.amazon.com
nobody knows what Mr.Blair is gonna say. Until he says it
Tom
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Strategy First Update...

Postby Tom » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:44 am

It can be a cruel world sometimes... but then again it can things can also turn around in a matter of days.

Our lawyer proceeded to inform Strategy First of their breach of contract (the breach being that they filed for bankruptacy). However it turns out that SF persuaded the Canadian courts (under which the contract is based) to ensure that a moratorium preventing termination was granted.

In English this means that we can't terminate the agreement under the clause that's supposed to be there to ensure that we can terminate the agreement if one of the parties goes bankrupt... go figure!

So. Just to update everyone, Strategy First are not in breach of their contract with us (they have even started paying us some money now - not a huge amount, but enough for a 'day out' racing a Porsche (Mark & Chris) vs a Corvette (Tom and John) on route 1 in San Francisco ;-) (which wasn't as expensive as you might think) ).

But in a strange twist of negotiations there's going to be an interesting announcement about Uplink in the next couple of months...

Thanks for all your help. I'll keep you posted...

Tom.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:52 pm

Interesting announcement eh?

Also nice that you are starting to get some money, but sneaky wankers for getting the courts involved to litterally break the contract, while not breaking it.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
IVEBEENHAD
level0

Postby IVEBEENHAD » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:01 am

I got mine from compusa too from SF awhile ago....Didn't know this was going on. Well I think mine is the 1.0 version but I don't wanna patch because I like the cheat/god mode in 1.0 . But I will be buying the IV version ASAP when I have the cash.
Didz
level1
level1

Postby Didz » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:50 am

just incase no one has said this...
im sure Limewire, Bit Comet and other torrent p2p programs will have uplink listed...
Is it illegal to use someone elses game, since you are not actually buying from them, just taking with concent...
I'm currently borrowing uplink from my mate Josh untill i can get the money for the game myself..
I'm not actually doing anything wrong am i ? since im just borrowing till i purchase the full CD ?
replies would be nice, so i can see where i stand :)
Thanx
\m/ rock as fuck \m/
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:26 pm

It could be, technically, said to be illegal. However plenty of people borrow games off friends and nothing comes of it bar a bit more then a demo. If you plan on getting the game once you have the money I doubt Introversion would hunt you down and sue you, unlike say Microsoft or the RIAA.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ

Return to “General”