Macs get screwed again

Discussions on the Mac release

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

UplinkVictim
level1
level1

Postby UplinkVictim » Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:35 am

So far all downloaded gateways dont work, no Hex editors work, Red shirt is a bizzare piece of crap that will take me several years and Harvard diploma for Quantum mechanics, lord knows where Gamebible is, and we cant disable that god awful music (what am I hacking a database or going to a RAVE?).  This always happens, BIG powerful computer, pieces of crap as ports.  I love the game for what it is, but it sucks when everyone else has access to loads of fun stuff and we dont, just because we have different operating systems.  (and all you wormy little side show freaks who love to spit on macs, just go ahead crawl back into the darkness, because I have heard them all already so save it) Well Im done venting, reply as you wish. Thanks guys.
"I the willing, lead by the unknowing, am doing the impossible for the ungrateful.  I have done so much for so long with so little, I am now qualified to do anything... with nothing."
Yann
level0

Postby Yann » Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:47 pm

You may have done something wrong ... i'm a mac user and have no problems with others gateways and skins.

Sorry but no ... we are not screwed ... remember also this is a first release of the game there is always bugs on 1st release of games. So far it have little bugs but nothing major (it's 100% playable).

About sw to create mods on mac ... well this is the problem of mac dev, not the pb of introversion or ambrosia (introversion only made the game if i remember, not the 1/3 part tools).

Note that new gateways are available only for new users (aka created after you installed new gateways). For more informations on how to customize the game, install skins and others mods go www.ambrosiasw.com/games/uplink/ and search from there.

So far it seems for me Mac version is 95% compatible with linux/win version.

For great mods go there http://www.modlink.net

Thanks introversion and ambrosia for porting the game on the mac platform.

yann

(Edited by Yann at 12:48 pm on June 4, 2003)
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:09 pm

I would have to agree with Yann, those problems you mention seem to be due to your own lack of computer experience, not anything IV/Ambrosia/Contraband have done.  :)
JohnWho
level2
level2

Postby JohnWho » Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:17 pm

Concerning "redshirt": Someone posted a link to the source code of the redshirt tool in the forums (I think it was einstein), and since MacOS X is said to be based on BSD, I guess it should compile without major problems... Anyone tried this? (I don't have a Mac...)
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:25 pm

Adriac has written a redshirt program for OSX.  It is avalible from the Ambrosia site.  He's even made it so easy even a Mac user could use it.  ;)
UplinkVictim
level1
level1

Postby UplinkVictim » Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:47 pm

ohhh ouuch.. *pulls knife from his back".. Ok for real, thanks guys for your input, you're always a help :)
"I the willing, lead by the unknowing, am doing the impossible for the ungrateful.  I have done so much for so long with so little, I am now qualified to do anything... with nothing."
Yann
level0

Postby Yann » Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:36 pm

Sorry ... i realize my post was rude.

Yann
UplinkVictim
level1
level1

Postby UplinkVictim » Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:10 pm

No way dude Yann you werent rude at all!  You were totally correct, it WAS my ignorance.  Thanks you guys Im hacking at a 4th grade level!  Soon Ill be able to tie my shoes, memorize songs, and recite my ABC's!  Don't worry my main man, Ive got tough skin and you were only helping, no worries :)
Hektik sniper
level5
level5

Postby Hektik sniper » Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:29 am

maybe if u didnt use a mac and used a real computer you wouldnt have problems
British Army The Number 1 UK Soldat Clan
Winners of Storm and Destory CTF
PeterClark
level0

Postby PeterClark » Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:29 am

Thats unfair and totally offtopic.
Uplink + Mac = Mmmmmm
Hektik sniper
level5
level5

Postby Hektik sniper » Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:44 am

its true though

elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:46 am

no its not HS :P mac are more stable then Windows.. wha is it your running again? UMM??!

and the Mac conversation of uplink is (again) being done by one bloke, called (again) Chris...

Mac is alright, just cos you dont like them. dont try and start a flame war HS :P
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
Ghostalker
level5
level5

Postby Ghostalker » Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:50 am

I agree with elDiablo here, Mac's are a lot more stable, I used to have one, and it hardly ever crashed I remember it doing that once or twice, as compared to my win PC that crashes at least once a week, if I'm lucky!

Windows sucks is the point, unfortunetly microsoft spreads like a virus, they have infected many computers with their impure crap.  Just a shame that all games run on windows as a primary system, mac and linux second...
~Watch me all In Flames ~ On a Butterfly I ride~
Hektik sniper
level5
level5

Postby Hektik sniper » Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:37 am

but but but, im just saying that i prefer pcs to macs because of the games issue. I do agree from when i used one at school that they are pretty stable though.

(Edited by Hektik sniper at 9:18 am on June 15, 2003)

Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Sun Jun 15, 2003 11:11 am

Stability is a moot point if there isn't actually anything to run on the thing ;)

Return to “Mac Uplink”