Bug or cheat?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Spacemonkey
level4
level4

Bug or cheat?

Postby Spacemonkey » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:40 am

This is the second time this has happened to me, i'm not going to accuse people of cheating because it could easy be a bug.

It's really annoying those, in both cases it caused me to lose a major navel battle, where other wise i'm sure I would have won.

What happens is the enemy units are invisible while they're are your radar range, today when I was playing, I had two fleets of battles ships in the pacific, then all of a sudden about 20 bombers appear above my ships, in a few seconds later all my ships have been destroyed, While they were being destroyed, the bombers would appear and disappear, making it very hard for my battleships to hit them.

EDIT: I have found out what the problem is, stop telling me to turn my radar on.
Last edited by Spacemonkey on Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:54 am

If this occurs around the map joint then its a bug.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:06 am

Someone crafty snuck a horde of carriers in the area and is launching bombs at you.

What's so odd about that? The Pacific is a nice place to hide an entire battlegroup.
DingerX
level1
level1

Postby DingerX » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:20 am

Yeah, I don't get your problem.

Bombers have a combat radius that is far bigger than their radar radius, or your radar radius. So he sends a swarm of bombers your way, and the first one that makes radar contact with your fleet allows all the others in range to start firing. As your ships sink, you lose radar coverage, and they blink out again. In the screenshot you showed, the "Ghosted" bombers were in the radar field of the surface ships travelling with the subs (why you would group them together is beyond me). When those ships sank, they ghosted.

Your "Should be Red" bomber is actually further away from the BB than the other two bombers nearby. Feel free to measure the distance.
mobius
level2
level2

Postby mobius » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:23 am

yup ive had the same done to me, a player had 1 carrier and 1 battleship greyed out in the middle of my fleet and i couldnt touch them.
Spacemonkey
level4
level4

Postby Spacemonkey » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:48 am

Montyphy wrote:If this occurs around the map joint then its a bug.

That makes sense, the same thing happened in the same place a while back, a fleet of enemy battleships came over the wrap-around line, and they were invisible while they were still in my radar range.

Hopefully IV will fix this, it the mean time i'm going to avoid naval engagements over the "international date line"
NewWorldOrder
level1
level1

Postby NewWorldOrder » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:48 am

its called fog of war!
Spacemonkey
level4
level4

Postby Spacemonkey » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:50 am

DingerX wrote:
Your "Should be Red" bomber is actually further away from the BB than the other two bombers nearby.

Yeah, the picture doesn't show the problem really, at one point the were about 10 bombers which were all grey when they should have been red, I tryed to take a screenshot but pushed 'prt scrn' instead of 'p' lol
grim
level1
level1

Postby grim » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:09 pm

I've seen something similar happen.

As Russia, placing a fleet of six subs in the Pacific, I must have put them on the invisible line joining the map. I could only see four of the six until I moved them away. I thought I'd lost two precious subs!
Spacemonkey
level4
level4

Postby Spacemonkey » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:13 pm

grim wrote:I've seen something similar happen.

As Russia, placing a fleet of six subs in the Pacific, I must have put them on the invisible line joining the map. I could only see four of the six until I moved them away. I thought I'd lost two precious subs!

Yeah, i get that all the time.
mallebrok
level1
level1

Postby mallebrok » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:01 pm

If you just would have turned on your radar view, i dont think we would be having this discussion.

Bombers are very effective i mass and the one grayed out bomber to the south of your destroyers, is just out of your radar range.
Spacemonkey
level4
level4

Postby Spacemonkey » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:07 pm

Actually read what I said as opposed to just looking at the picture, I said there were grayed out bombers in the radar range, the screenshot doesn't show it, but there were.

Anyway other people have already confirm what happened and now I know it's a bug cause by the wrap around line.
MoonHill
level3
level3

Postby MoonHill » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:33 pm

You might want to try to repeat that with the radar range view turned on.

That particular screenshot doesn't seem to have anything out of the ordinary in it. The one bomber that is greyed between the two that are red is slightly further away from the nearest BB than its companions.

There is something odd around the map wrap, though.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:19 am

There is something odd around the map wrap, though.

Strange, I thought the bermuda triangle was in the atlantic...

Yes, please try repeating this issue with your radar tab on...
theworldsend
level1
level1

Postby theworldsend » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:31 am

are you serious !<? (meaning he didnt know that)
Last edited by theworldsend on Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General”