Is the AI launch hardcoded?

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Feud
level5
level5

Is the AI launch hardcoded?

Postby Feud » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:50 am

I've spectated several games where I set it to six AI's, and I've noticed that every time the AI will wait until 1 hour 30 minutes in game time, and as soon as it hits 1:30 all teh silos of every AI opens and launches everthing they've got. The AI will use bombers and subs before this point, but it always waits until that time to open it's silos. So, I'm guessing this is hardcoded, but I wanted to know, has anyone else has noticed it?
Akatosh
level2
level2

Postby Akatosh » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:06 pm

Hm, I didn't look at the timer, but yes, they *seem* to be launching everything away at once...
djdemo
level1
level1

Postby djdemo » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:04 pm

How disapointing...

Makes it easy to prepare for that time of day!

Feud - nice picture, I loved the fallout series when it came out.
GreatDane
level0

Postby GreatDane » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:09 pm

I thought that this was hardcoded too until last night I played a 2 v 2 v 2 game with me and AI players. One AI team lauched everything pretty much just after defcon 1, which caught me totally by surprise. I came in 3rd place in that game and usually I always win against AI players.

But in standard games it does seem like the AI launches all at the same time.
hellcatv
level2
level2

Postby hellcatv » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:12 pm

I wish the AI would not attack with all its silos if a) you have subs parked off its coast and it can't defend them
or b) there are missiles enroute that will arrive before the AI can switch back to defense mode.

there was one time when I had about 30 warheads incoming (russia-USA...so they were incoming for quite some time now) and right before they're in range for the computer to eliminate with its turrets, suddenly the computer switches into launch mode and ALL the nukes hit...at which point I unload all my subs off his coast (why the CPU didn't nix them with bombers or fighters is beyond me)
result: total destruction for the CPU

I'd much rather have an omniscient AI that performed well than one that didn't know what was going on.

I want the CPU to eliminate my subs and not launch if nukes are enroute... beyond that it's not terrible--just not stellar
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
DueAccident
level3
level3

Postby DueAccident » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:16 pm

I don't like the way the AI just launches everything. It is a terrible tactic, and takes the fun out of it when you know the computer is gonna send everything at you in x minutes, every single game.
Akatosh
level2
level2

Postby Akatosh » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:53 pm

So, I've looked at the timer a bit, and in my default game (1on1), the AI always mass launched between about 1:10 and 1:30, with most launches occuring around 1:15.

Return to “Strategic Air Command”