SysReq?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Kid Shenck
level2
level2

SysReq?

Postby Kid Shenck » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:04 am

Has there been any word yet on system requirements for Defcon?

The interface/graphics seem much less demanding than Darwinia, so I would hope that the requirements would lessen a bit. I mean, it is a game of diagrams, after all.

I read the second interview in which Chris said that the graphics system was new. I hope this means they've learned from the two others. I'm just afraid it'll be slow like the world map is in Uplink. Especially with what appears to be much more motion than just the Protovision game server. :)

I'm stuck on a slower computer right now, and that doesn't seem to be changing any time soon, so I was hoping that it would be closer to Uplink than Darwinia. I had to play Darwinia on someone else's computer, so I didn't really get to play mods and things after I finished the game.

I'm just nervous that I'll have to buy a copy of the game and a new computer on my fast food wage to support my Introversion addiction this time.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:33 am

well I doubt Defcon will have too high system requirements. I mean I can't see a way they could even try to take as much graphics as Darwinia.

Btw - nice avatar but it's a little large.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:38 pm

martin wrote:Btw - nice avatar but it's a little large.

Use a better browser!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:49 pm

Darksun wrote:

Use a better browser!

Like, for instance, one that supports CSS properly.

xander
Kid Shenck
level2
level2

Postby Kid Shenck » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:34 pm

martin wrote:well I doubt Defcon will have too high system requirements. I mean I can't see a way they could even try to take as much graphics as Darwinia.

Yeah, well, you would think that it wouldn't be as bad, but you never can tell, so I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything from the boys themselves. When you develop on fairly powerful computers, it's hard to resist taking advantage of that power, without regard to how it'll play on grossly slower machines.

When you sort of develop in a vacuum, it's a difficult thing to consider. I've seen plenty of sequels and sophmore releases without superior graphics that required heftier systems to run.

Not that I don't have faith in IV's coding abilities; it's just that I'm a nervous Nelly when it comes to new releases. :)

I've sized it down by half. Gotta be compatible for the masses. :)
rippedcap
level2
level2

Postby rippedcap » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:46 pm

<gloat>
Feeling a little smug as I bought a new rig just before xmas so I could enjoy battlefield 2 in full glory so should be ok
</gloat>

From the screenshots it looks not too graphics intensive but the AI could be CPU/memory intensive.... I'm sure we'll know soon

-- Rip
Kid Shenck
level2
level2

Postby Kid Shenck » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:49 pm

rippedcap wrote:<gloat>
Feeling a little smug as I bought a new rig just before xmas so I could enjoy battlefield 2 in full glory so should be ok
</gloat>

CURSES!!!!!!
Kid Shenck
Check your local listings.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:47 pm

/me lusts after one of the new MacIntel laptops.

xander
Lord_Doskias
level4
level4

Postby Lord_Doskias » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:23 pm

heheh macbook, now i understand why apple dominated that intel commercial: to get back at intel for the shitty name
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:33 pm

Just a question, why DOES the Uplink map screen take up so much resources?

I don't expect this game to be as bad though, since developing a 3D game shows you that you have to do things optimised to get it to run well, and news of a new graphics engine is good, as it means they hacn't recycled uplinks! ;)

Return to “General”