Prison Architect is now in Alpha

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:08 pm

Discussion aside - digital immorto-criminalisation is tempting, but $250?

Still. Digital immorto-criminalisation.

EDIT: How vain am I to even consider that option?

EDIT2: I went with the $30 ... for now.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:53 pm

For $250, you TOO can have the whole world know what a rabid Prison Architect fanatic looks like!

(Self-awareness sold separately)
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:31 pm

Yes, name in game, bought, happy Rkiver.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
mibias
level5
level5

Postby mibias » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:40 am

I was 13 when I made this account, back in the defcon beta. I had pirated all of the Introversion games because I didn't have the cash to buy all the games I wanted.
Of course, I own them all legally now thanks to humble bundles, steam sales and so on. Still, I am very happy to finally be able to throw some money at Introversion. $100 well spent.
Adam Black
level4
level4

Postby Adam Black » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:52 pm

Allow us to purchase all the Kickstarter-style perks if we want, but for goodness' sake make the alpha free for testing! Doesn't this impair the bug-finding process? This is not how it was done when we were beta-testing Darwinia.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:20 pm

Adam Black wrote:Allow us to purchase all the Kickstarter-style perks if we want, but for goodness' sake make the alpha free for testing! Doesn't this impair the bug-finding process? This is not how it was done when we were beta-testing Darwinia.

Times change. Now get offa mah lawn!

xander
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:31 pm

Adam Black wrote:Allow us to purchase all the Kickstarter-style perks if we want, but for goodness' sake make the alpha free for testing! Doesn't this impair the bug-finding process? This is not how it was done when we were beta-testing Darwinia.

I'm guessing, but I reckon the alpha is more about generating revenue and buzz rather than bug hunting.
Masochist
level1
level1

Postby Masochist » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:33 pm

Not really...the idea is to help it.

It also prevents flaky people from buying it (for cheap) or simply playing the alpha for free, then bitching all over the internet that its a buggy piece of crap. It also helps lower the number of duplicate bug reports and generally has the effect of more focused feedback than masses of people demanding compensation or some dumb crap that they think they are entitled too (like I see so many times with other games in the early stages).
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:38 pm

jelco wrote:
Masochist wrote:It also helps lower the number of duplicate bug reports and generally has the effect of more focused feedback

Ha. Ahaha. Hahahahahaha! *ahem*

(Seriously, have you even looked at the alpha forum?)
There's something frightening about an admin shitposting about a forum (except Defcon).

Masochist wrote:It also prevents flaky people from buying it (for cheap) or simply playing the alpha for free, then bitching all over the internet that its a buggy piece of crap.
All the paid-for part has really done is stop people from posting in the Developer section; anyone can just torrent the alpha (no DRM) and whine about it regardless.
Last edited by Mas Tnega on Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Radiobuzz
level2
level2

Postby Radiobuzz » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:00 pm

Masochist wrote:

Not really...the idea is to help it.

It also prevents flaky people from buying it (for cheap) or simply playing the alpha for free, then bitching all over the internet that its a buggy piece of crap. It also helps lower the number of duplicate bug reports and generally has the effect of more focused feedback than masses of people demanding compensation or some dumb crap that they think they are entitled too (like I see so many times with other games in the early stages).

To be perfectly honest, the arguments you're giving sounds more like they belong to the opposite point (to pay for a product which does not function as it should).
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:14 am

If there is one thing to be learned from kickstarter, it's that there are a lot of people out there with more money than sense and that simply making it "reasonably expensive compared to other products of a similar scale" is certainly not going to result in a more focused group of testers.

Seriously, go on kickstarter and look at a list of backers for anything. A disturbing number of them will have something like "78 other projects backed" and you will question their sanity. (But not their ability to pay $30.)
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:00 pm

Hey, I'm only backing 8 projects and I've only spent around $800 on them altogether, oh god. . . .
Golgothar
level0

Postby Golgothar » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:42 pm

Awesome project.

When several years ago i got my UPLINK game directly from a guy that had apparently made it (Chris), in a nice UK package, i knew there was something different in this company.
The first package was lost in the mail and Chris even sent me another one without even asking questions. 10 years ago that wasn't so common and it made a damn nice impression back then.

Ever since i've been following Introversion games, and this is no exception.
I'll try to help with my feedback, and hope you get the game out soon.

Thanks for building it,
Miguel
Adam Black
level4
level4

Postby Adam Black » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:44 am

Awww :)
Zarkow
level4
level4

Postby Zarkow » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:13 am

jelco wrote:That's some selective reading you're doing. I don't have anything against asking people to pay increasingly more for increasing bonuses, but there is a limit. This is a ridiculous max price point. Plus, where Kickstarter bonuses generally involve receiving extra, in this case you're only gaining the option to give extra. That's very different. And I still believe it's wrong to not give community members (that is, proven testers) an option to enter the alpha without payment, considering the past testing sessions.

If someone feels generous enough to do a 1000 dollar donation, I'm not going to stop them. But I'm not going to consider that person sane either.

Not sure if you wrote before all info was up, but I can most absolutely see that something is given back at $1000, in the same way that all kickstarter projects do. Your own warden - i.e. a character based on your likeness, bio etc, at your wish.

Return to “Introversion Blog”