The FUTURE IS UPON US!!!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Jordy...
level5
level5

The FUTURE IS UPON US!!!

Postby Jordy... » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:25 pm

A Dutch scientist, of course he's dutch, dutch people are the best, the greatest and the smartest, anyway, has re-created the Majorana particle, what this means, is that quantum computing might be available to us in the near future.

I was wondering however, if he's really the first person to re-create this particle and some secret government agency hasn't already (I wonder if they spied on this scientist seeing how important this will be) what the implications will be for the world. I imagine super-powers will start working on quantum computers asap, no doubt fighting the race against cooperate investors.
With the computing power this will unlock contemporary codes will be laughable easy to break, will the banking industry be under attack? Also, data-mining will become even cheaper and more all-encompassing.

Also interesting to note, this might shift the whole way of doing research, I believe there is an up-and-coming field of research that tries to find discoveries by building simulation-models and running many different variables until something turns out close to what is observed in real life, essentially trial and error, with more computing power this way of research will gain an enormous boost.

So yea, what do you think about?!
Cuz fuck logic
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:32 pm

Just think of all the funny cat videos I could watch with a rig like that...
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:40 pm

You could both watch videos with cats in and out of the sack at once, isn't that amazing?!
Cuz fuck logic
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:00 pm

Pretty cool, and your comment on government agencies already being able to do that sort of thing might not be wrong actually!

The majority of scientific/academic research is not public (in the US at any rate), so there's a lot of science that we might never hear about!
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:27 am

Yea, I mean, I find it hard to believe a single scientist can beat interests backed with billions and top-talents from the united states, this will be very crucial for the NSA, which is, by far, the largest and most important, known, intelligence provider for the US government.

However, I can remember that the US army showed interest and was closely following other scientific research with particles aimed at making invisible suites, so perhaps some public scientific research is really on-par with that of secret government agencies.
Cuz fuck logic
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:54 am

Oh yeah, the military pours money into science like nobody's business, and we rarely see the really interesting stuff. . . .

AARPA (before it became DARPA) almost funded the largest sociology project in the world, until people got wind of it and accused the project of including spies and what-not. It was already pretty sinister though, seeing as they were wanting to study most (if not all) of the populations of South America, during the Cold War, ostensibly to find out how each nation's peoples ticked, for the purposes of domination!

Go USA! :roll:
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:49 pm

Definitely some sinister stuff has happened, and probably still happens..
Cuz fuck logic
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:45 am

Jordy... wrote:Yea, I mean, I find it hard to believe a single scientist can beat interests backed with billions and top-talents from the united states, this will be very crucial for the NSA, which is, by far, the largest and most important, known, intelligence provider for the US government.

However, I can remember that the US army showed interest and was closely following other scientific research with particles aimed at making invisible suites, so perhaps some public scientific research is really on-par with that of secret government agencies.

I've herd from a few people that nano suits are operational. But like everyone has said here, we (as a public) will never know until it's as common as the microwave.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:54 am

Xarlaxas wrote:Oh yeah, the military pours money into science like nobody's business, and we rarely see the really interesting stuff. . . .

AARPA (before it became DARPA) almost funded the largest sociology project in the world, until people got wind of it and accused the project of including spies and what-not. It was already pretty sinister though, seeing as they were wanting to study most (if not all) of the populations of South America, during the Cold War, ostensibly to find out how each nation's peoples ticked, for the purposes of domination!

Go USA! :roll:

Why does this post seem so very familiar?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:11 am

I've probably mentioned it before and forgotten! :P

Return to “Introversion Lounge”