Subversion Development - Any Suggestions Etc...

It's all in your head

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, DTNC Vicious

tel niasa
level1
level1

Postby tel niasa » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:53 am

uplink lan hacking!
quickdan
level1
level1

Postby quickdan » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:29 am

tel niasa wrote:uplink lan hacking!

lol, I agree with you
If there were only two games to play in the world, I would choose a text editor and a good C compiler.
tel niasa
level1
level1

Postby tel niasa » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:09 am

quickdan wrote:
tel niasa wrote:uplink lan hacking!

lol, I agree with you

I think subversion should contain elements of all of the previous introversion games.
It'll be the best introversion game ever!
red rouge
level1
level1

Postby red rouge » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:44 pm

i think it would be pretty neat if in the story line there was another co-orparation with its own team of infiltrators that you crossed paths with throughout the game. so say your going to break in to a bank but you leave it to late and this second 'shadow' team have already raided the vault so when you get there you get blamed cause your caught at the scene. so this shadow team would pop up and you could help them or try to compete with them while trying to find out info about there HQ and tech. i think this would lead to and epic final level were you infiltrate there HQ and find there boss or choose to side with them and infiltrate the HQ of your contractors, kindof like the choice faith and revelation in uplink.
another idea ive ogt floating around is the option to pick a sniper in your team. you would place your sniper at a vantage piont on an opisite building and using hotkeys you could switch to him (say ctrl s or summin) and enter a first person sniper view to scout out rooms through windows and take out priority targets. i think snipings a bit to abitious though and probably a bit hard to impliment if there june demo video is anything to go by.
anyway thanks for readin
redrouge
abaddontuned
level0

Counterinsurgency

Postby abaddontuned » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:20 pm

Hi Chris, Hi everybody
did you read this book?

"Counterinsurgency Warfare: Theory and Practice"

the author
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Galula

there are more ideas for subversion warfare

bye
Legion303
level1
level1

Postby Legion303 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:24 am

Some random thoughts:

- "Story vs. arcade": STORY! Darwinia is a fantastic game on sheer gameplay alone, but the storyline really elevates it into something special.

- Complexity sliders for those of us with older systems would be nice, if this is even possible on a procedurally generated city (though Farbrausch's procedural demos run fine on my laptop, so maybe this won't be that big an issue).

- I would love to see more hardcore hacking challenges with bigger risks and bigger payoffs than the easier routes. Read old issues of Phrack. Connecting to a mainframe, seeing the banner, and having to research that OS's security flaws (in an in-game database so players wouldn't have to kill the immersion by tabbing over to google) would be great fun.

-steve
matty406
level0

Postby matty406 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:28 pm

xander wrote:Instead, it would be nifty to see IV really focus on the sandbox aspect of the game. Rather than having synchronous multiplayer game, it might be interesting to have an asynchronous kind of game, perhaps in the model of Spore, where content creation is relatively easy, and content can be shared from one player to another to build a larger, more believable world.

This sounds interesting. Maybe if a player's game creates a really cool city or particular building, they can choose to upload it to a database?
The same can be applied if there is a map editor included.
Shea
level0

Postby Shea » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:59 am

Hullo, another long time lurker.

What I would love to see would be a few puzzle elements, like
buildings rigged with a lot of electronics where explosives or the like
might not quite cut it (dunno, like above a natural methane vent or something),
but having to use the system against itself, example rewiring the system so computers
with knowledge of a password hash are re-networked into other computers that need it,
you can't get the password but you still use it kinda thing.

This obviousally might be a level too deep for a suggestion, and the electronic devices
would need even more interior structers to fool with, but damn could I spend hours
messing with it! Of course, I wont really make a lick of difference as I'll be buying
anyway, but a penny for my thoughts.
iestyn
level0

At the risk of further delaying Subversion...

Postby iestyn » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:12 am

...I just had to share these:

http://www.subblue.com/blog/2011/1/16/surface_detail
http://art.depotvisuals.de/

I <3 procedural geometry.

iestyn
markmsmith
level0

Keep In Circuit Hacking

Postby markmsmith » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:55 am

Long time lurker, I've loved all your games.

I just wanted to say that I really loved the idea of actually manipulating circuits by cutting wires etc to defuse bombs, crack locks & so on in the world. It's something that's truly a unique selling point for the game and gives it an edge over similarly themed games like Syndicate and Frozen Synapse. Please don't bow to any pressure that may exist to take it out in order to 'streamline' the game - it's that depth that totally makes it a must-buy for me and defines Introversion games.

In terms of player immersion, I think it's very important for there to be an engaging plot or back-story coupled to the world to draw the player in, so that I actually have a reason to care and want to complete the missions, rather than them just being a collection of little puzzles to be solved and then forgotten. I think the procedural element is really great for giving lots of detail and adding replayability (the Elite games were the king of this for me), but you have to have something to make people think about that world when they're not playing and look forward to returning.

Lastly, I liked the idea that's been mentioned elsewhere about needing to have a plan B when playing a level - maybe have randomly triggered events that bring a big twist to the situation and force you to rethink things. One example was another team trying to rob the same bank, others could be the escape van being identified as stolen / towed away for illegal parking or there being a powercut :)

It's awesome to have a development team that actually wants ideas from the community and looks for opportunities to incorporate their feedback. Thanks for listening.
ryacko
level1
level1

Postby ryacko » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:17 am

'Nother lurker.

I'd totally like a sandbox mode where I could muck up a system all I want without being caught.
Snall
level1
level1

Postby Snall » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:23 pm

Id like to say I hate minigames..so ffs if they're done please make them skipapable to use character's skill instead.
Jum
level0

...another idea.

Postby Jum » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:24 am

What was great about Uplink was that it made the real-life player feel connected to the fake game world. It plays on the idea that your really doing what your doing in the game, if that makes sense. So maybe in SubVersion it could be the same idea like this:

You play as you. At your computer. And the team members of your group are the agents who do the dirty work. You act as the shadowy figure in the movies giving the orders. You find agents and hire them. Then on your computer you monitor their actions and give orders. In between missions you communicate via email to the members concerning supplies/salary negotiations. This would play very much in the Uplink game style. You would not be doing any hacking like the Uplink game. But you are a character in the game and the agents you hire have their own personalities that interact with yours.

As far as the story goes, I don't know yet. But it would be neat to play the game like a business tycoon/ espionage game. Maybe some agents in your company get arrested and potentially rat you out and you have to move your HQ. If you draw too much attention to your self in a city, they try to find you. But I'm sure that what ever is the case, SubVersion will be great.

I saw a video on the dynamic music. I was impressed.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Re: ...another idea.

Postby NeatNit » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:29 pm

Jum wrote:What was great about Uplink was that it made the real-life player feel connected to the fake game world. It plays on the idea that your really doing what your doing in the game, if that makes sense.
Yep! Every Introversion game is like this. :)
matty406
level0

Re: Keep In Circuit Hacking

Postby matty406 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:14 pm

markmsmith wrote:Lastly, I liked the idea that's been mentioned elsewhere about needing to have a plan B when playing a level - maybe have randomly triggered events that bring a big twist to the situation and force you to rethink things. One example was another team trying to rob the same bank, others could be the escape van being identified as stolen / towed away for illegal parking or there being a powercut :)

ryacko wrote:I'd totally like a sandbox mode where I could muck up a system all I want without being caught.

These would be cool to have. The first because it shows, like the procedural generation, the world is constantly in motion and alive. The second because it would probably be a good idea to have maybe a training complex for you to fiddle about with.

Return to “Subversion”