Suggestions For Future Patch

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

TGM
level0

Suggestions For Future Patch

Postby TGM » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:07 am

Alrighty, now that I have played a few games I have a few suggestions (as with everyone else, but maybe mine are better ?):

- A way to make all same ship types, or silos, in a group switch to a specific mode. So lets say a fleet of 6 subs (or silos), be able to make them all switch to Nuke Mode in one shot. However, still maintain single unit management. Maybe Click + Drag or Ctrl + Click to select multiple units ?

- Able to select multiple units and attack with them. So be able to select all nuke silos (or units) and it would subtract from the sum of all the nukes. Maybe Click + Drag or Ctrl + Click to select multiple units ?

- In windowed mode maybe have it lock the mouse in the window while playing (for scrolling perposes), and have it unlock the mouse with a key command. So something like VMware, it uses Ctrl+Alt to unlock the mouse, and to lock it all you have to do is click in the window. Also include Esc, Esc in this function.

- Have bombers return to an airbase as long as it has nukes. So it would automaticaly re-route in flight bombers to airbase's with nukes. So lets say 3 bombers heading to Airbase A and it only has 2 nukes so Bomber 3 heads to Airbase B.

- In the Styles Editor, it would be nice to change the alpha of nukes and radiation.

Well those are my thoughts, what do you guys think ?

Now as for praise . . . AWESOME GAME ! Maybe a little too good ? I may get fired over this :oP
TheHappyFriar
level2
level2

Postby TheHappyFriar » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:23 am

i don't know if selecting multiple units at a time to attack would help since things take so long. I like that bombers return to their home by default. :)

I would like it though so that if you cancel an order it resumes the previous one. I don't know how many times I'd select a group of moving subs & then click luanch to see if anything is in range, then hit spacebar & have the subs stop cold. :)
Zarkow
level4
level4

Re: Suggestions For Future Patch

Postby Zarkow » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:27 am

TGM wrote:Alrighty, now that I have played a few games I have a few suggestions (as with everyone else, but maybe mine are better ?):

Doubtfull :D

TGM wrote:- A way to make all same ship types, or silos, in a group switch to a specific mode. So lets say a fleet of 6 subs (or silos), be able to make them all switch to Nuke Mode in one shot. However, still maintain single unit management. Maybe Click + Drag or Ctrl + Click to select multiple units ?

- Able to select multiple units and attack with them. So be able to select all nuke silos (or units) and it would subtract from the sum of all the nukes. Maybe Click + Drag or Ctrl + Click to select multiple units ?

Not going to happend afaik. Attacking with/using a lot of units should require handing out a lot of orders - and carefully timing each order is actually cruical in the attacks success.

You might not think it is now, but simultaniusly targeting a large group of units, that is spread out, is a very, very, bad idea, from a tactics point of view.

TGM wrote:- Have bombers return to an airbase as long as it has nukes. So it would automaticaly re-route in flight bombers to airbase's with nukes. So lets say 3 bombers heading to Airbase A and it only has 2 nukes so Bomber 3 heads to Airbase B.

Good idea going down the 'drunk AI-route' - see: Westwoods C&C and harvesters.

Since the AI cannot validate threat exactly like you it cannot validate if the airport with remaining nukes are a good target to fly to or not.

Not bashing that you have ideas, since ideas are good. I just don't agree. =)
TGM
level0

Postby TGM » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:28 am

I would like it though so that if you cancel an order it resumes the previous one. I don't know how many times I'd select a group of moving subs & then click luanch to see if anything is in range, then hit spacebar & have the subs stop cold.

Ya maybe add Resume Orders in the drop down menu.

Since the AI cannot validate threat exactly like you it cannot validate if the airport with remaining nukes are a good target to fly to or not.

I did not mean while they are on the offence. I meant once they drop their payload they return to an airbase that is able to restock them.

Also, come to think of the multiple units thing it would take away from the game. It is afterall a global scale attack.
- TGM -
Secretpact
level1
level1

Postby Secretpact » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:36 am

- Have bombers return to an airbase as long as it has nukes. So it would automaticaly re-route in flight bombers to airbase's with nukes. So lets say 3 bombers heading to Airbase A and it only has 2 nukes so Bomber 3 heads to Airbase B.

I just finished a game online and my bomber did something like this. It was late in the game and I only had 1 airbase left with no nukes. It had a bomber with a nuke though. So I sent the bomber to attack and after it delevered it's payload, the bomber returned to a far away aircraft carrier which had nukes.
Zarkow
level4
level4

Postby Zarkow » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:39 am

TGM wrote:

I did not mean while they are on the offence. I meant once they drop their payload they return to an airbase that is able to restock them.

Drunk Harvesters in C&C was a case of them returning to the wrong ones, not them attacking.

So my reply clearly was about bombers trying to fly to a airport with nukes, disregarding the threatlevel and chance of getting there alive.
taliosfalcon
level0

Postby taliosfalcon » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:00 am

the onlly thing i see it needing..and badly are a filter and friends list for the server listing, its just hell trying to find a specific game..or even a specific kind of game right now
Secretpact
level1
level1

Postby Secretpact » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:25 am

taliosfalcon wrote:the onlly thing i see it needing..and badly are a filter and friends list for the server listing, its just hell trying to find a specific game..or even a specific kind of game right now

The thing about a friends list is that there is no login for the online play. Your name can be anything and you can change it on the fly. I definitely agree with having a filter system though.
skeuri
level1
level1

Postby skeuri » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:11 am

1) The game doesn't remeber my server/game settings. Being able to save multiple server/game-setting-profiles would be great.
2) Clicking on a friendly unit while another is selected, the selection should switch to the new unit.
3) Being able to unselect a unit by clicking (left or right?) on an empty area.

Grtz, skeuri
Also visit: SKEURI.nl my latest atempts at webdesign and Dutch Peanut Force Holland's friendliest e-sport community.
Freyar
level2
level2

Postby Freyar » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:19 am

1) Possibly have an option to allow for maximum "Combat Zone" for fighter craft to be the fuel limitation. (Round Trip)
Delusion
level0

Postby Delusion » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:55 am

OpenAL based full hardware-enhanced 3D audio (to make ur game under Windows Vista as enjoyable as in Windows XP)
Grayman
level1
level1

Postby Grayman » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:11 am

server sorting and settings memory. i would like a friends list even if it is just based on changable names. Partial matches would be great because then you could do a tag search.

More time settings rules. A majority vote option(to stop one person from real timing) would help. Also being able to set defcon 5's time to be slower(longer) than the others. Building at 5x can be a challenge(or impossible in bigworld) but locking 5x at lowest speed stops someone from forcing the game to take hours.

This one is a weird idea but someone else ingame liked it,
more maps or even a random map function. It may go against the backstory of the game but they would be fun for competition.
Nuclear Launch Detected.
The_Masses
level0

Idea

Postby The_Masses » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:34 am

Feel free to say that this is crap but, how about if you have radiation on, the cities covered by that unearthly green glow slowly lose people, say .1 mil per 5/10 mins?

Just a thought,
-The Masses
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And Monkeys too (if the have a gun).
-Eddie Izzard, Glorious tour
TGM
level0

Re: Idea

Postby TGM » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:35 am

The_Masses wrote:Feel free to say that this is crap but, how about if you have radiation on, the cities covered by that unearthly green glow slowly lose people, say .1 mil per 5/10 mins?

Just a thought,
-The Masses

Makes sense.
- TGM -
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:48 am

Would radiation kill you that fast though? I don't know very much about it, but I was thought that depending on what type it was it killed you slowly rather than instantly.

On the subject of suggestions, could we have the ability to list the servers in accedning / decending order of any of the options? eg, list them with all the full servers at the top, and all the empty ones at the bottom.

Return to “Think Tank”