Darwinia released on Steam!

The forum with all your Introversion News!
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Darwinia released on Steam!

Postby Chris » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:08 pm

At around 11.00pm last night (UK time) Darwinia was successfully launched over the Steam system. All those who preloaded were able to play the game right away. For everyone else this release represents an incredible bargain - Darwinia for $19.99 as an immediate download.

There was a brief last minute problem when the Valve guys ran into the "Cracked by DMA Crew" bootloader and actually thought some hackers had compromised the build they were releasing. You just can't make this stuff up. Reminds me of the reports we used to get of games journalists unplugging their network connections because they were terrified Uplink (our first game) was actually accessing the Internet and connecting to Government systems.

It's actually quite a surreal thrill to see Darwinia on my Steam panel, right next to CounterStrike:Source and Half Life 2. These games are Classics and its a real pleasure for us to be included in the same list.

In other news:
- We've got a new Introversion website coming your way soon, to replace the placeholder at www.introversion.co.uk that has somehow been placeholding for us for over 2 years.
- Our third game will be announced in PC Gamer UK issue 157, on sale December 22nd (Next thursday!)
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:56 pm

The GoldFish has outlined a few things that you might want to consider for the first steam version patch. Other than the valve hiccup and the game hiccup, i give hearty congrats to all involved. Getting onto steam has to give a huge feeling of accomplishment, and the revenue (hopefully large) either means a better development base for you guys or shiney new cars :)

Can't wait for the 3rd games announcement now :)
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:07 pm

YAY NEW GAME! YAYAYAYAYAYAY! Etc!
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:13 pm

Bah. I got really anxious before Darwinia was released that I really really wasn't going to like your new game! Now you've set me off again :(

That said, I hope it'll be at least or maybe even more mod friendly than Darwinia!

All I can say is 'I'm sorry you didn't have anyone to beta test the steam release for you'
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:12 pm

All I can say Is I volunteer to beta the next game :D
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Starfyre
level5
level5

Postby Starfyre » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:21 pm

Hahah. Makes me wonder though, since hardly anyone bothers with pirate bootloaders anymore. Yay for IV!

The only thing that is left now is Multiplayer.
And The Next Game :D
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:38 pm

oh man

it's going to be another race to goddamn #thegamename on uplinkcorp again >_>

plus shouldn't it be thenextnext game or have we already had that discussion before?
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:50 pm

<obligatory whiney Mac bitchism>
So, will <the next next game> run on the Mac?
</obligatory whiney Mac bitchism>

xander
micks
level1
level1

Postby micks » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:04 pm

Yes, support Mac (and Linux, of course). I'd also like a box, but download will do :)
AgentX 24
level4
level4

Postby AgentX 24 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:15 pm

The GoldFish wrote:oh man

it's going to be another race to goddamn #thegamename on uplinkcorp again >_>

plus shouldn't it be thenextnext game or have we already had that discussion before?

<_< >_>
Varsity
level2
level2

Postby Varsity » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:03 pm

I will haunt the magazine racks...
Group C
Tortanick
level3
level3

Postby Tortanick » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:07 pm

Well Well! What happened!

How is Darwinia selling?
More detials on the bootloader incident.
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:53 pm

The GoldFish wrote:plus shouldn't it be thenextnext game or have we already had that discussion before?

From this news article, and I quote:

Chris' news post wrote:Our next game <the third game> is in development, and has been for many months now. In fact, work began on <the third game> on the 2nd of August 2003 - over two years ago, and stopped exactly one week later.

EDIT: Broken tag! ZOMG!
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:55 pm

elDiablo wrote:
The GoldFish wrote:plus shouldn't it be thenextnext game or have we already had that discussion before?

From this news article, and I quote:

Chris' news post wrote:Our next game <the third game> is in development, and has been for many months now. In fact, work began on <the third game> on the 2nd of August 2003 - over two years ago, and stopped exactly one week later.

I thought that <the third game> was going to be released later and that <the next next game> is actually <the fourth game>? Oh, and you need to fix your url tag.

xander

EDIT: Nevermind, you seem to have taken care of it already.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:04 pm

So is <the third game> the one that was originally planned as a B-Side for Darwinia but shelved, and later expanded into a full game? Is this what is going to be announced?

Return to “Introversion News”