Spore (Will Wright)

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
GeneralSamov
level1
level1

Postby GeneralSamov » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:05 am

Oh crap... from a strategy game to a scientifical debate... now my day is done :lol:
Anyway, I agree with the passive multiplayer discussion.. just that the ping isn't 50 ms but it could be 2 months... and not everyone playing might get involved with what you've done... nor would there be a precise chronological succession of events. Bah who cares anyway.
Phydaux
level5
level5

Postby Phydaux » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:01 pm

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:You can play against other players civilizations in Spore (at least that was shown in the video). . .

And I would argue there is an action-reaction element to Spore. You will build your creature and civilizations as a reaction to the environment in your game which will be a product of what other people have done in their games. Your actions will propegate back to the players who helped influence your actions and the cycle will be complete. It's actually like Chaos Theory (a butterfly flaps its wings in Africa and a week later you're pulling out your umbrella, which then causes a drought back in Africa). This is certainly not traditional multiplayer, but multiple players are interacting while playing.
I see what you mean, this could be like the butterfly effect, but you have no way to tell if there ever will be a cycle. Or if your creations ever get loaded onto another's computer. It's also not your actions that will be affecting another person. It's your creations, the computer will decide their placement, movement, actions...etc.
If I use The Sims as a comparison again: If someone created something that helps my sim's mood, is that multiplayer? What if I use that as inspiration for my own 'thing' that helps/hinder's that other person, is that multiplayer?
Mr_Magic1163
level0

Postby Mr_Magic1163 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:15 pm

i is NOT multiplayer, it's just using other peoples content to fill your world, its' just that you will have thousands of different creatures in your game, and every time you play the gam again it will be different, the replayabality is superb for this game
but its' not multiplayer, and it's better that way, I wouldn't like it if some other players would destroy my entire world or cities or so :)
overall it's gonne be one of the best games ever made, at least for me, I love the thing that it makes almost completely random (the content, the textures, the way you can creat your own creature)
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:01 pm

Mr_Magic1163 wrote:i is NOT multiplayer, it's just using other peoples content to fill your world, its' just that you will have thousands of different creatures in your game, and every time you play the gam again it will be different, the replayabality is superb for this game
but its' not multiplayer, and it's better that way, I wouldn't like it if some other players would destroy my entire world or cities or so :)
overall it's gonne be one of the best games ever made, at least for me, I love the thing that it makes almost completely random (the content, the textures, the way you can creat your own creature)
I agree, it isn't multiplayer unless there is more than one player in the same "world".
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:03 am

It's not multiplayer in the way that Quake 3 or UT is multiplayer. Or Donky Konga.

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
Endeva
level1
level1

Postby Endeva » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:23 pm

Games appeal, depends on the player.

Simple statement, but very true, when so much information/technology is available on so many levels.

Looking back over the years of playing I have done, I have seen amazing breakthroughs in gaming. Doom for example broke a mold and remold's of it can still be found today in the most basic forms, like battlefield 2. Monkey Island leaped forward in it's understanding of geekness bringing the genre to multitudes of new players and again in it's most basic form is still seen in games like wow, swg quests etc.

Will's success in Sim's, and his love for games in general, gives him a birds eye view on what players would like to see from his own gaming prespective. Sim's gave us a 2d world with many functions and ablities, yet Spore brings a 3d aspect with more options and different gaming styles. Whilst "some" functions of the sim's games can be repitious, the options available in Spore, should create change within the game your playing, whilst having the stability of known factors you may have come to love or loath, depending on the player you are.

Geekness was laughed at when I was one of those geeks. Many scorned and laughed as I sat and puzzled out text adventures, instead of sitting there racing around a boring track day after day. Nowadays, millions sit down and work out quests on a daily basis, thanks to those with a small insight into whats different. WoW would never be the game it is (boring IMHO) for many people if we did not expand our understanding of what is new and now loved.

Spore is a culmination of many gaming styles, something which many gaming companies would never dream of doing because they forgotten how things got to where they are now.

I, for one, support the Will Wright's of the world and hope they will make changes for the betterment of gaming, rather than dragging themselves along the stagnant known and successful paths, cashing in on known money spinners. Without change we stagenate.... and if the gaming/computer industry did not change so many years ago, where would we be today ? Pac-man expansion 347436 "more obnoxious levels".
DOUF
level0

Postby DOUF » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:28 pm

i didnt read much about the game but i know previous works he done like psychonauts ... his games rocks though.

we should be thankfull for people risking their careers just to delever new type of games that they mostly suck at distributing them.. bad luck for them anyways ...

we should wait till the game is released then judge it.... i remember pariah people kept saying it will be cool and all then it came out total nothingness.
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:30 pm

Will Wright isn't exactly risking his career with Spore. Aside from the fact that it's already massively anticipated by most of the gaming world, and EA would never be stupid enough to fire him, theres not a studio on the planet that wouldn't hire him in a second given the chance.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:31 pm

Icepick wrote:theres not a studio on the planet that wouldn't hire him in a second given the chance.

IV included?

NeoThermic
Mef
level2
level2

Postby Mef » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:03 am

Yeah ommiting whole conversation and stuff and returning to the actual thread... - don't You think, that this game actually sucks a LOT !? You know, when I saw the first minutes of video I was really inspired, willing to play RIGHT NOW and all, but... After the 'evolutin phase' it just went far out controll - the whole thing seems highly exagorated (or sth like that - shit, I'll never learn how to spell this one...) it looks like it turns to just another civilisation clone first (crap for me), than it brakes into some more crap, really... The game seems like constantly loosing scope on previous achievements, when You 'Leve up' - its just hmm chopped (?)... I Loved the 'evolution phase' and its mechanics (not the sole idea since its quite old), but after that... duh :? Like some Frankenstein monster build up from various pieces that fit together and yet, do not fit at all (confused?) I mean it looks like - "We'll make a game that everybody loves - we'll simply put every type of good selling game in there" shit...

What about You people ? Yer feelings ?
READY:
MEF

?SYNTAX ERROR
ArrowLance
level1
level1

Postby ArrowLance » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:11 am

wow that looks stupid
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:44 am

NeoThermic wrote:
Icepick wrote:theres not a studio on the planet that wouldn't hire him in a second given the chance.

IV included?

NeoThermic

IV isnt a studio :P
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:46 pm

ArrowLance wrote:wow that looks stupid

What, exactly? Spore? This thread? ScareyedHawk?

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”