Defcon Modern Warfare (yeah, sue me)

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Zorotama
level5
level5

Postby Zorotama » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:08 am

Hahahaha...nice the Malvina's sea!!

But Africa? If I look around it seems chinese right now..
skyray
level1
level1

Postby skyray » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:51 pm

Hmmmh... The naval battles in the western pacific will be horrendous. And yes, it might suck to be India. However, the UK homeland might have an easy time of it depending on how things go diplomatically. In fact, diplomacy becomes really important in a set up like this. Thing is, a lot of diplomatic tools simply aren't in the box. Trade, economics, limited military support and such. I'm looking forward to trying this one out.
Experiment632
level2
level2

Postby Experiment632 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:47 pm

skyray wrote:Hmmmh... The naval battles in the western pacific will be horrendous. And yes, it might suck to be India. However, the UK homeland might have an easy time of it depending on how things go diplomatically. In fact, diplomacy becomes really important in a set up like this. Thing is, a lot of diplomatic tools simply aren't in the box. Trade, economics, limited military support and such. I'm looking forward to trying this one out.
I agree Skyray. Below is the ideal diplomatic/alliance setup for this mode:

Western Allies: United States, United Kingdom, and European Union.
Eastern Allies: Russia, China, and Islamic Alliance

If the US places a radar center in Israel and another in South Korea while the UK places radar centers in India, almost all if not absolutely all land territory of China and the Islamic Alliance would be revealed to the Western Allies. But at the same time, India, Israel, Japan, and South Korea would be uncovered as well. And nuking India, South Korea, & Japan would gain lots and lots of points to the player nuking them.
skyray
level1
level1

Postby skyray » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:25 pm

I believe that those sort of circumstances were part of NATO's plan during the "cold war" when Jupiter C and other types of missle bases were planned to be placed in Greece, parts of western Europe and perhaps Viet Nam if things had gone differently. I'm also curious about the effect placing a missle base in areas close to the Chinese/Islamic border might have during the launch phase. I think the game is set up to only have silos on defense mode respond to where incoming warheads are targeted, not those in close proximity during the boost phase. It might be interesting to see what would happen if boost phase intercepts by silos on defense were possible.

The radar coverage by the Western Alliance is a real problem for the Eastern alliance.....for a little while at least. So also would airbases be, given their potential proximity. As a counter, if the West were to rely too heavily on having those coverages, it could result in a disaster if/when they lose that coverage and have to face something like a "Dense Pack" placement strategy by the East. This mod makes placement strategies critical for ALL players. Time On Target coordination between different players in the Western Alliance would turn into a nightmare lol. :twisted: Another alternative would be to also use the reduced radar coverage mod (if it's still working). What do you think that would actually do in the mod you're developing? Hope the Western players are all on Ventrillo or Scype or something for their sakes. I can hardly way to see this come up.
Experiment632
level2
level2

Postby Experiment632 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:59 pm

Trust me, Skyray; my test runs of the game shows that despite the obvious disadvantage at the beginning, when playing as the eastern powers, me and my allies suffered roughly 40% losses each while the western powers suffered over 75% losses themselves. My next test, I played as the US using variable units. I did well at first. I managed to drive back the Russian naval attack near Hawaii shortly before the nukes started flying. In the end, the Eastern Alliance won with the Islamic Alliance coming out on top with Russia a few points behind. I lost over 75% of my people. My last attempt, I decided to mix things up a bit by playing as the United States with Russia as my ally versus Red China and the Islamic Alliance. I won that round with China in 2nd place.

I am just about done with the mod. I did some minor touchups on the map plus I switched out the main music playing in the background. The theme from the 1995 movie Crimson Tide will be played during gameplay. I also made tweaks to the seventh tutorial mission to describe a conflict in Korea instead of boring advice that even an idiot would know.
skyray
level1
level1

Postby skyray » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:48 am

Nice choice in music 632. One of my favorite soundtracks. As for the test run you described, I'm not really surprised. If I previously made it sound as though I thought the Western Alliance had the advantage, I guess I wasn't clear. I feel that one of the dominant factors would actually be trying to coordinate an effective Western attack against a fairly concentrated Eastern set-up. I'd be interested in hearing what specific problems you encountered playing either side and if the test was multiplayer. Congrats on winning the sea battle. I'm a noob so the AI keeps handing me my head in naval battles, especially as the US. I do better with Russia or China but overall, I think it's because I spread my forces out too thinly trying to cover too many possibilities. When defending the US, I usually do well if I decide to pretty much sacrifice the west coast. I need to read up on some tactics here in the forum obviously lol.
Experiment632
level2
level2

Postby Experiment632 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:14 am

Well it seems to be a mixed blessing of sorts. While the radar setup can reveal all if not most of China and the Islamic Alliance, the setup can also make the Western powers a bit overconfident. As for the test, so far it is only AI's since this version is pretty new. Hopefully it will become public by tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for the compliment regarding winning the skirmish despite losing the war. I have been practicing various naval tactics. The radar and airfield in Hawaii definitely aids greatly in the naval battle and allows me to see them coming ahead of time. Though the strategy is not perfect; waiting until Defcon 1 then sending in bombers from carriers outside of radar range is definitely one way. In one battle, I was unlucky to shoot an enemy fighter down right above the radar in South Korea.

Here is a more recent battle. This time the enemy was smart enough not to advance on Hawaii so no major naval battle occurred in the Pacific. And even though I committed only 1/4 of my surface fleet to the Atlantic, they were able to overpower the Russian fleet after it was softened by the joint UK-Euro fleet. The game ended after nearly 3 hours. Despite having lost more people then most of the others (except my UK ally), the United States still came out on top. Somehow Russia lost all their silos while the Chinese and Muslims still had silos left. Ironic concidering the game started with Russia having all but one of their silos hidden while the Chinese and Muslims had all theirs exposed to Western Radar.

Here is a link showing the end results of the battle: http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/1962 ... ictory.png
Experiment632
level2
level2

Postby Experiment632 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:40 pm

DMWv4.0 has now been posted online.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/defcon-modern ... re-mod-v40

Also here is a list of Scenarios that can reflect the current faction arrangement.

1: United Kingdom Versus Islamic Alliance
-Kashmir conflict between India & Pakistan
-Conflict escalates as the UK and Islamic Alliance take opposing sides
-India invades Pakistan
-Pakistani conventional forces defeated
-Pakistan stops Indian advance with low kiloton nukes
-Nuclear Exchange between United Kingdom and the Islamic Alliance

2: China Versus the United States
-North Korea invades South Korea
-United States defends South Korea
-China vetos UN condemnation of North Korean invasion
-China joins war on side of North Korea
-US & South Korean forces halts North Korean advance
-North Korea uses low kiloton nukes on US & South Korean forces
-US uses tactical nukes on North Korean and Chinese forces
-Nuclear Exchange between China and the United States

3: Russia (CSTO) versus United States
-Russia invades former Soviet republic of Georgia
-United States deploys troops to defend Georgia
-Regional Tactical Nuclear Exchange between US and Russian forces
-Nuclear Exchange between Russia and the United States

4: Islamic Alliance versus United States
-Israel bombs Iranian nuclear weapons sites
-Iran bombs Israeli cities and blockades the Strait of Hormuz
-United States sides with Israel and moves to clear the Strait of Hormuz
-Conflict escalates as Islamic Alliance sides with Iran
-Nuclear Exchange between the Islamic Alliance and the United States

5: United Kingdom versus United States
-Argentina invades the Falkland Islands
-United Kingdom sends troops to defend Falklands
-Argentina miraculously defeats British conventional forces
-United Kingdom nukes Argentina
-The United States cuts all diplomatic ties with the UK and declares war
-Naval War between USA and UK ensues
-Nuclear Exchange between the United Kingdom and the United States

6: WORLD WAR III: Western Allies Versus Eastern Allies
-Russia invades Ukraine, not wanting them to join the EU & NATO
-United States and its NATO allies send troops to defend Ukraine
-Russian warships moves into the North Sea to attack Western Europe
-US and NATO ships confronts Russian fleet and a battle ensues
-Russian and Chinese naval forces move to attack USPACOM in Hawaii
-US Pacific Fleet intercepts Russian-Chinese Fleet and a battle ensues
-Russian Spetsnaz team invades Alaska and destroys oil pumping station
-India invades Pakistan with UK support
-Islamic Alliance invades Israel
-United States defends Israel from Islamic Alliance
-Russian troops joins Islamic Alliance in invading Israel
-China and North Korea invades South Korea
-United States defends South Korea
-North Korea uses low kiloton nukes on US & South Korean forces
-US uses tactical nukes on North Korean and Chinese forces
-Tacical Nuclear Exchanges between Western and Eastern forces
-Full Scale Nuclear Exchange between Western Allies and Eastern Allies
skyray
level1
level1

Postby skyray » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:25 pm

At last! I downloaded it and will install shortly. I don't have time today but I should be able to give it a first run tonight and over the next couple of days. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks very much. Been really looking forward to this.
Korean
level2
level2

Postby Korean » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:12 pm

Major flaws:
China/Russian Alliance= Impossible
China intervention Korean war= Improbable
Russian invasion of Ukraine= Improbable
US-UK war= Impossible
UK nuking Argentina= Impossible
Russian invasion of Alaska= Impossible
An Islamic Alliance itself= Improbable
BMN
level2
level2

Postby BMN » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:15 pm

This game isn't about what is probable. Nuclear war is highly improbable yet there are countless games about it -including DEFCON and it's respective mods.
Use your imagination! 8)
Besides, don't these scenarios sound fun? games are about entertainment, not realism.
Experiment632
level2
level2

Postby Experiment632 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:27 pm

Korean wrote:Major flaws:
US-UK war= Impossible
Well anyone who believes in the Multiverse will realize that there is at least one AU in which such a conflict did happen. Also with the invasion of Alaska. I wasn't saying a full scale invasion, just a small elite unit infiltration. Got the idea from the 1982 movie World War III.
k-dawg
level2
level2

Postby k-dawg » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:29 pm

Korean wrote:Major flaws:

why do you think china is communist now? they would pair up if they had a common enemy.

um.... do you watch the news? China is one of the reasons we're NOT getting involved...

Ukraine was under soviet control until 1991.

US-UK war= Impossible

change to improbable.

you sure about that?

they even had plans for it... we're not best friends with Russia right now... Shit is still tense.

im not going to get into this one, but - Shia v Sunni are what are keeping them apart.[/url]
skyray
level1
level1

Postby skyray » Tue May 01, 2012 1:24 pm

I think the scenarios may be improbable or even impossible in some cases but that's not the point IMO. You have scenarios where a varying number of players can try different sides and circumstances. I also agree with BMN, they sound like fun. I enjoyed a first run through with the US vs China scenario last night. I'm gonna switch sides and try it again, then some of the other scenarios before I go live. An interesting note is that I might be playing my first live game on a mod instead of the original. As for the scenarios being "unlikely" I would point out that completely balanced forces like those represented are even more impossible/unlikely but this isn't supposed to be a full blown simulator. Creating or modding that would be much more complex. Most likely need a whole new program. I do know that I enjoyed this mod and that's what t's about....I think.
Bgieer
level1
level1

Postby Bgieer » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:41 pm

Hii.I am new player.I like this mod but I am not install.Activating but throws in the game.Plase helpp.I want play this mod.
Edit;I play 1.43 version.

Return to “Mod Projects”