Help Test Linux Version

Anything and everything about our LIDAR cave explorer.
John
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Help Test Linux Version

Postby John » Wed May 17, 2017 12:58 pm

Hello,

I have put up a Linux build of the game on the 'beta' branch in Steam. To access it please:

1. Right click on Scanner Sombre in your Steam LIbrary.
2. Select Properties.
3. Select the Betas tab.
4. Select the beta you'd like to test 'beta'. If 'beta' does not show up for you, try logging out of the Steam client and then in again.

Then you should be able to install Scanner Sombre Linux on your computer.

Please reply on this thread to let us know your experience.

Thanks

John
_allo_
level1
level1

Re: Help Test Linux Version

Postby _allo_ » Fri May 19, 2017 7:40 pm

Will there be a version without steam?
Mr.Hales
level0

Postby Mr.Hales » Thu May 25, 2017 3:46 pm

I'd also like a non-Steam version, but I think I might install Steam just to try this out.
Mr.Hales
level0

Postby Mr.Hales » Fri May 26, 2017 4:56 pm

So far, mostly good. There have been a couple small issues and one big one that I sent an email about as not to spoil anything. In this game it seems like atmosphere is everything, so I don't want to give anything away. It is very much a game that needs to be experienced.

I only played for a good hour and am deeply impressed. I look forward to continuing my adventure later.
Mr.Hales
level0

Postby Mr.Hales » Sat May 27, 2017 10:18 pm

My son noticed some lag on forward movement when he tried it. Strafing and backward movement responded instantly, but there was a slight delay on forward. I didn't notice any delay, so this may be exclusive to his playthrough.
dr.phees
level0

Postby dr.phees » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:06 pm

I would have bought the Linux version (and will as far as it shows up on GOG). I would be happy to help test the beta, though.
ramma
level0

Postby ramma » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:42 pm

Guess I forgot to hit submit on my post. I played for about an hour with very few issues. I think the movement issue above is just the way the walking sort of simulates accelerating which took a little getting used to. The biggest issue I'm having is menus cause the mouse to flicker constantly, even when tabbed out of the game. I've seen it happening in a few games made with Unity.

edit - Well I say everythings good, then the game crashes. Happened after opening and closing the steam overlay a few times.
ghostDancer
level2
level2

Postby ghostDancer » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:24 pm

Ok, just fast 20 minutes. For now looks like no problem , i'll keep trying to break it :twisted: tomorrow . Debian Stretch with NVidia propietary drivers 375.66.
Now let's see if in the future there's anon steam version. :)
km3k
level0

Postby km3k » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:58 am

I bought the game for Linux. I'm playing on Arch Linux with a Nvidia GTX 960. I found two issues so far.

I have two 1920x1080 monitors, but prefer to play on the left one. This left monitor is set as the primary monitor. When setting my resolution in game to 1920x1080 fullscreen, it puts the game on the second monitor. At any lower resolution, it correctly puts it on the left (primary) monitor. I've worked around this by playing at 1680x1050 for now.

The second issue is bigger. I tried playing this with a PS4 controller. The movement and look controls work great and I can jump, but once I get the scanner, it says to hold RT to scan, but it doesn't work. Since the game has no button remapping, I can't change the controls to fix this either.

Please fix these issues or at least allow controller button remapping. I'm happy to test new builds of the game if needed. Thanks.
km3k
level0

Postby km3k » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:45 am

Hi again, I switched to playing with mouse and keyboard so I could progress. In the process of going through the game I found two more issues.

First, the invert y axis setting doesn't take effect at startup. The settings screen shows it is on, but it doesn't work. I have to toggle it off and back on again at each start of the game to get it to work.

Second, since I got the scanner resolution upgrade, the "sensor upgrade" pop up message has been stuck on screen. Even saving, closing, restarting and reloading the game didn't get it to go away. I was able to work around this by getting to the next area (the mine) and then using the level select menu to reload from the beginning of the mine.
ramma
level0

Postby ramma » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:09 am

km3k wrote:Second, since I got the scanner resolution upgrade, the "sensor upgrade" pop up message has been stuck on screen. Even saving, closing, restarting and reloading the game didn't get it to go away. I was able to work around this by getting to the next area (the mine) and then using the level select menu to reload from the beginning of the mine.

Just got to this point and I'm having the same thing. Reloading through level select in the next area got rid of it for me. Without doing that, it didn't even show the message for what you pick up at the start of the mines.
TMM
level0

Postby TMM » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:51 am

I just bought the game once I saw this topic! Everything seems to work but on my xbox 360 controller the right trigger doesn't seem to register. The game works when I play with mouse though.

I'm on Fedora 26 with Steam, using the normal 'xpad' kernel driver.
Geoff Riley
level0

Postby Geoff Riley » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:00 am

ramma wrote:
km3k wrote:Second, since I got the scanner resolution upgrade, the "sensor upgrade" pop up message has been stuck on screen. Even saving, closing, restarting and reloading the game didn't get it to go away. I was able to work around this by getting to the next area (the mine) and then using the level select menu to reload from the beginning of the mine.

Just got to this point and I'm having the same thing. Reloading through level select in the next area got rid of it for me. Without doing that, it didn't even show the message for what you pick up at the start of the mines.

Am I to take it that this has not been fixed? I've just got to this point tonight… erm this morning… and I was coming to report it as a bug, but it seems to have been around for quite a while.

Any work around for it? the dialogue box is very annoying. [haha]

Return to “Scanner Sombre”