Empire

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

- Tobias -
level3
level3

Empire

Postby - Tobias - » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:29 pm

While I have been led to understand that a Defcon upgrade in unlikely, I would nevertheless wish to place the following on the forum record.

In the 80's there was a PC game called Empire that had many interesting features, most of which I believe could easily be incorporated into any defcon upgrade.

1. Variable territory geographies. You could set the game to generate random territories. Not always the same map.

2. Land units. It had both infantry and armor units, in addition to fighters, bombers, nukes, subs, battleships, and carriers. It also had Transport ships to move land units. Amphibious landings anyone?

3. You could set production priorities for replenishment of units. So, for example, you could choose to make bombers at airbases rather than fighters (taking much longer to produce). What's a good war without a Ministry of War Production?

4. You could set rally points for the units you created. (March 'em right onto the transports for example.)

5. You could set patrol paths for units. Very handy to have a battleship patrol a path automatically.

There were some other features that were nice but these stand out the most i think. And BTW, I am King of Empire as well. Now where's that floppy?
microchip08
level5
level5

Re: Empire

Postby microchip08 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:49 pm

- Tobias - wrote:While I have been led to understand that a Defcon upgrade in unlikely,

True.
- Tobias - wrote:I would nevertheless wish to place the following on the forum record.

In the 80's there was a PC game called Empire that had many interesting features, most of which I believe could easily be incorporated into any defcon upgrade.

- Tobias - wrote:
1. Variable territory geographies. You could set the game to generate random territories. Not always the same map.

You can download different maps. I personally like the idea of nuking real continents.
- Tobias - wrote:
2. Land units. It had both infantry and armor units, in addition to fighters, bombers, nukes, subs, battleships, and carriers. It also had Transport ships to move land units. Amphibious landings anyone?

Kuth wrote:No. Why? Europe for one reason. How can you cram some 20 units worth of land material in there and hope to select and move them. I'd imagine Europe would be nearly one entire landmass of YOUR COLOR at that point.

And if we introduce land based units, then we have to introduce means of defenses to, like fortresses or something. Else what's to stop these land units from strolling up to an unguarded city and blowing it away? Sea units can't do this because, well, they're costal only, and aircraft can only do damage to ground facilities if they're carrying nukes.

- Tobias - wrote:3. You could set production priorities for replenishment of units. So, for example, you could choose to make bombers at airbases rather than fighters (taking much longer to produce). What's a good war without a Ministry of War Production?

4. You could set rally points for the units you created. (March 'em right onto the transports for example.)

Meh, I like only having a set amount of bombers. It makes me think more.
- Tobias - wrote:5. You could set patrol paths for units. Very handy to have a battleship patrol a path automatically.

Yes! I like that idea! ...but already dismissed.
- Tobias - wrote:There were some other features that were nice but these stand out the most i think. And BTW, I am King of Empire as well. Now where's that floppy?

:-)
sfericz
level5
level5

Re: Empire

Postby sfericz » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:37 am

- Tobias - wrote:....... most of which I believe could easily be incorporated into any defcon upgrade.........

Most of, or any of these implemented into Defcon would create a whole new game, It wouldn't be a Defcon upgrade.

Granted its a great idea for 'another' game. But I would cry like a baby the day they put all of that into Defcon.
Forrest Krunk
level3
level3

Postby Forrest Krunk » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:33 am

Tobias is a dimwit, why pay attenton to his small ideas, put his helmet on him and feed him his applesauce, help him train for next years special olympics, he is a 'no-nothing' that poor poor fool, it's ok buddy read 'Flowers for Algernon' and get some hope...
Rus Mike owned you
Battletron would too, but we have yet to see you accept that challenge...your a coward with a big mouth, back it up publicly or shut your mouth....
much love,
FK

Tobias here is your theme song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QDk4geVSdA
:roll:
microchip08
level5
level5

Postby microchip08 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:28 pm

Forrest Krunk wrote:Tobias is a dimwit, why pay attenton to his small ideas, put his helmet on him and feed him his applesauce, help him train for next years special olympics, he is a 'no-nothing' that poor poor fool, it's ok buddy read 'Flowers for Algernon' and get some hope...
Rus Mike owned you
Battletron would too, but we have yet to see you accept that challenge...your a coward with a big mouth, back it up publicly or shut your mouth....
much love,
FK

Tobias here is your theme song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QDk4geVSdA
:roll:

Stop with the fighting. Anyone is entitled to their own ideas & beliefs. Please don't throw insults around; we're all here to enjoy Introversion's games -- we all have rights and responsibilities. Put simply, you have the responsibility to treat others the way you would want to be treated, in order to gain the right of being treated the same way.

Cool down, OK?

Amnesty UK wrote:Everyone has frontiersthe right to freedom of opinion and expression, and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

Everyone has the right to freely to participate in the cultural life of the community, to enjoy the arts and benefits of scientific advancement, and to have their moral and material interests protected for their own creative work.

No governments, groups or individuals should destroy any of these rights and freedoms.

Return to “Think Tank”