Config files

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Thunder175
level0

Config files

Postby Thunder175 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:37 pm

Hello all! long time player, first time poster.

I've been reading the forums and like someone elses idea I was curious if you can open the game up with configuration files, much like a game like the Space Empires series. I love DEFCON the way it is, but sometimes I just wish it could become more of a simulation of nuclear strategy. My idea was if it were possible to make things like unit types and their attributes editable by the end user. I would like to make a mod that we can set things like Air Defense on or off, missile and aircraft speed and range, SLBM and ALCM arc or no arc, radar ranges, ICBM's per missile field and launch rate, and just about everything else that effects gameplay. This would change the balance yes but if done properly by the end user can make it more of a simulation of realworld nuclear strategy.

Like I said I love DEFCON, and please keep up the great work! I'll probably get nuked by you guys for this idea...
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:30 pm

It is possible open the config files. However, that is not what you are asking. You are asking if it is possible to mod DEFCON to do certain things. The answer to that is yes and no. It is possible to mod DEFCON -- all of the moddable files are located in main.dat, sounds.dat, and lanuage.dat (which are all .rar files -- change the extension and extract). However, most of the things you suggest are simply not possible. Keep in mind that DEFCON is a game, not a simulation. It is not set up to simulate the real world, and it is basically impossible to change that.

And, for future reference, please search the forums before posting. A quick perusal of the the Mod Projects sub-forum would have told you everything you wanted to know.

xander
Thunder175
level0

Postby Thunder175 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:02 pm

Maybe I should have been a little more clear. I meant for a future version of the game could everything not be hardcoded in the executable but rather have config files the end user can change. I clearly realize the game in its current state is not capable of doing what my idea was proposing. :roll:
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:32 am

Thunder175 wrote:Maybe I should have been a little more clear. I meant for a future version of the game could everything not be hardcoded in the executable but rather have config files the end user can change. I clearly realize the game in its current state is not capable of doing what my idea was proposing. :roll:

To be blunt: not going to happen. Whether it was released as a patch or a "new" game, Introversion would have no money to make out of it - and it would take longer than you think to implement a fully scalable modding system like that. 2 projects is quite enough for a team their size, I believe. ;)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:04 am

Thunder175 wrote:Maybe I should have been a little more clear. I meant for a future version of the game could everything not be hardcoded in the executable but rather have config files the end user can change. I clearly realize the game in its current state is not capable of doing what my idea was proposing. :roll:

So, you want a sequel that has little to nothing to do with the original, other than the theme of nuclear war?

DEFCON is a very simple game, in that it has few units, and simple rules. In that regard, it is like chess or go. It is not a simulation -- it is a game -- an abstraction, if you will. What you seem to be asking for is a real simulation. This is not what DEFCON is, or is supposed to be. Honestly, given what we know of Subversion, you will probably have a better chance of being able to modify it to be a nuclear war simulator than of getting IV to release a nuclear war simulator with the DEFCON name.

xander

Return to “Think Tank”