Defcon for Wii

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

skull13
level3
level3

Postby skull13 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:33 am

And he walks in and says:

"Hi, I'm new here. I think I'll resurrect a topic or two, and then people will love me!"

We don't like it when people resurrect dead topics, other than that, welcome.
All American Mobster
level4
level4

Postby All American Mobster » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:26 am

C/Airman_Curtis wrote:I would love to play DEFCON on a wii, the only problem would be getting the whole Nuclear War thing past Nintendo...

Yea, the whole nuclear war thing Nintendo may dislike, but its cool to play games like Reident evil and Manhunt 2 on it :lol:

-$tanley
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:12 am

skull13 wrote:And he walks in and says:

"Hi, I'm new here. I think I'll resurrect a topic or two, and then people will love me!"

We don't like it when people resurrect dead topics, other than that, welcome.

C/Airman_Curtis has been here for about a year. He seems to have taken a hiatus from the forums for a while, though. He used to make the odd post in the Defcon section, and I remember him because he had an unusual name. :P

EDIT: wait, this IS the Defcon section. :oops:
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
canadakid2
level0

Postby canadakid2 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:08 am

Here our the wii's spec's, right from wikipedia.
CPU:729 MHz PowerPC based IBM "Broadway" (Not PPC based but SOI based)
Memory:24 MB "internal" 1T-SRAM integrated into graphics package
64 MB "external" GDDR3 SDRAM
3 MB GPU frame buffer memory
GPU:243 MHz ATI "Hollywood"
Heres the URL:[/url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_(seventh_generation)#Comparison[url]
Could Defcon work on the Wii? Probably. Would it be good? It depends on the controls. You dont want to accidently launch a nuke and the controlls would have to be good. [/url]
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:23 am

Wait... you give those specs, then claim that Defcon would run on that system? You crazy, man...

xander
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:22 am

Well, according to the official minimal specs for DEFCON, CPU and GPU would be powerful enough. The CPU just barely, of course, assuming it performs a bit better than a P3 per clock cycle. Those restrictions are tough, but manageable. The lack of raw speed is somewhat compensated by the fact that you have less layers of abstraction between your code and the hardware.

But the memory? No chance without serious optimization.

And the "pointer device" that is the Wiimote? Not nearly comparable with the precision and speed of even a cheap mouse. Won't work without UI changes, those mode change menus would be way too fiddly.

Not to mention that the lack of HD video really hurts in a game with hundreds and thousands of units.

Yes, I have one. I'd port DedCon to Wii homebrew, but it's quite pointless because configuring a server would be hell and experiments have shown networking is sort of broken right now anyway.
Blackbeard
level4
level4

Postby Blackbeard » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:35 am

bert_the_turtle wrote:And the "pointer device" that is the Wiimote? Not nearly comparable with the precision and speed of even a cheap mouse. Won't work without UI changes, those mode change menus would be way too fiddly.

The Wii MotionPlus "will provide a true 1:1 response" :? (Apparently it's a widget that will plug into the end of your waggly stick thingy) :D
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:53 am

I doubt it will be useful for increasing the accuracy of pointing at stuff :) That's still handled by the IR sensor at the front of the wiimote, simply because it's the only part that can actually measure the position and direction of the thing.
MikeTheWookiee
level4
level4

Postby MikeTheWookiee » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:01 pm

If a good defcon game can last up to 2 hours (more when, er, mor is involved), your arm would get rather tired with all the micro-adjustments needed with the wiimote. I know mine does after just 10 minutes of playing Red Steel, pointing at the screen constantly. Not to mention the lack of a keyboard for those long diplomacy games.
capehill
level0

Postby capehill » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:44 pm

xander wrote:Wait... you give those specs, then claim that Defcon would run on that system? You crazy, man...

xander

Of course Defcon could run on Wii. But not directly ported, it would need certainly modifications and optimization. I saw the drawing procedure listed somewhere and it didn't seem very efficient.

A couple of points:

a) PPC can not be directly compared to x86 on MHz basis (PPCs are often faster at the same speed)
b) Wii doesn't run bloated Windows/Linux OS (you probably won't need 128 MB of memory)

But OTOH, there were some good point made here, like getting tired by using 'mote for a long time.

Return to “Think Tank”