Player Colors

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

FiveDollarYoBet
level1
level1

Player Colors

Postby FiveDollarYoBet » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:05 am

Any other color blind people having trouble telling the difference between the green, yellow and orange teams in the game? It seems like I'm constantly checking people's names and the alliance screen to try to figure out what belongs to who.

-J
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:10 am

While I believe that you are the first to actually be color blind, we did discuss this earlier. I don't think that IV has made any comments on it one way or another. However, you could probably mod the units to be a bit more distinguishable. The unit colors are created using subtraction. For instance, blue is created by removing red and green from the image. You can make different teams more easily identifiable by putting a green, red, and blue dot on each unit. Then, when the unit, for instance, belongs to the teal team, the blue and green dots will be bright, and the red dimmer. It is not perfect, but it does help. If I get motivated, I might package something up in a mod, but I don't have time right now.

xander
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:41 am

As xander pointed out, this has been brought up before in this thread.

Personally, I think it would be great if such a mod were created. I'm not color blind, but I think that having the option included would be a fantastic idea.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:37 pm

I don't know if this will help or not, but, not being color blind myself, it is the best I can do. I have placed a flag on each unit. This flag is red on the top, green in the middle, and blue on the bottom. If a unit is on the, for instance, red team, then the blue and green bars should fade, and be less bright. On the blue team, the red and green bars should fade. Thus, by looking at which bars on the flag are brightest, you should be able to distinguish teams. The two biggest problems are that non-team colors do not fade completely, and that the orange and yellow teams are basically identical in terms of flags. However, given the limitations of the engine, I think that is the best I can do. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Linky.
Drop it in your Mods/ folder, and activate the mod.

xander

Return to “Think Tank”