Multiple independently targetable reentry vehicle ( M.I.R.V)

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

phishybongwaters
level1
level1

Multiple independently targetable reentry vehicle ( M.I.R.V)

Postby phishybongwaters » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:40 pm

Code: Select all

hxxp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIRV

I don't know if it's been mentioned before, it didn't come up in my search, but I think it would be interesting to see a MIRV thrown into the defcon mix.

Maybe a specially assigned sub that instead of having several independant nukes, it has 1 MIRV containing the normal amount of nukes per sub. Maybe an option to convert the nukes in a silo or bomber or sub to a MIRV. 1 launch detected, but there can be several targets.

It could drastically change some gameplay aspects, which I guess makes it a really bad idea. Also, would you specify the targets for the MIRV (I'd prefer that) or maybe you specify 1 target and it has a radius as if you placed a sub at that location, allowing you to select the target for each warhead. The nuke would travel much like a bomber, when it reaches it's seperation threshold, where the bomber would turn back, it breaks up into multiple warheads.

Since it acts like a ICBM you can theoretically launch a tatical strike similar to having a well placed sub almost anywheres on the map. Aswell since alot of targets and cities require more than 1 nuke for total destruction, this allows you to take them out with 1 strike, air defenses willing.

You could also give notification that a MIRV launch/seperation has taken place. It could literally allow someone down to 1 sub and 1 silo launch a plausable last ditch attack.

Obviously since a MIRV changes some playing dynamics you'd probably want to limit the amount of MIRVs a player can have. Maybe a nuke threshold. If you've already fired 20% of your nukes you can not create a MIRV.

You can also go down the road of automation, create and target the MIRV but instead of targetting each warhead, you simply have a radius around the central taget that the nukes will randomly strike, could be water, could be cities, could be blank space.

The pros and cons are pretty much the same, it changes some dynamics. In essence you can look at it as a really good bomber that fires all it's nukes at once. This is why maybe 1 per player would be best.

I love defcon and don't think anything really needs changing, but since this is the think tank I didn't think it would be taken the wrong way :)

Feel free to trash my idea.
torq
level3
level3

Re: Multiple independently targetable reentry vehicle ( M.I.

Postby torq » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:50 pm

phishybongwaters wrote:I don't know if it's been mentioned before

It has. Thousands of times. If you'd bothered to use the search tool on this forum you wouldn't even ask. The general answer is no, it means there would be no MIRVs in Defcon.
NMO
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Re: Multiple independently targetable reentry vehicle ( M.I.

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:58 pm

torq wrote:
phishybongwaters wrote:I don't know if it's been mentioned before

It has. Thousands of times. If you'd bothered to use the search tool on this forum you wouldn't even ask. The general answer is no, it means there would be no MIRVs in Defcon.

xander?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
phishybongwaters
level1
level1

Postby phishybongwaters » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:53 pm

I don't know if it's been mentioned before, it didn't come up in my search, but I think it would be interesting to see a MIRV thrown into the defcon mix.

You should have CUT a little more before you pasted, but whatever apparently I didn't search long enough, way to be a welcoming member to the board.

And for the record, after 4 more searches of the Think Tank section only reveals 2 MIRV threads, mine, and 1 other that I didn't see.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:06 pm

Took me one search to pull it up. Never mind. I don't think it's a good idea anyway.

Oh, and this board isn't welcoming.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:22 pm

Oh, g-d, not this again!

xander
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:25 pm

xander wrote:Oh, g-d, not this again!

xander

Seconded.
Though I don't particularly like being "unwelcoming" to newer people here, I'm quite fed up with this idea too ;)

P.S. xander, you let bert call your G4 slow without retaliation ?!
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:45 pm

xander wrote:Oh, g-d, not this again!

xander

Stab him xander, stab him!
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:47 pm

torig wrote:P.S. xander, you let bert call your G4 slow without retaliation ?!
No. a) it was his G3, and b) I boasted that my server was slower :)
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:50 pm

phishybongwaters wrote:

You should have CUT a little more before you pasted, but whatever apparently I didn't search long enough, way to be a welcoming member to the board.

And for the record, after 4 more searches of the Think Tank section only reveals 2 MIRV threads, mine, and 1 other that I didn't see.

A search of the word "MIRV" brings back four other topics with it just in thier name. There are at least six more that discuss it, but do not mention it in the title, and I didn't even bother to look at the other nine matches.
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:54 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:
No. a) it was his G3, and b) I boasted that my server was slower :)

That's not what bug ID #34 says (from heart, so if I'm off by one or two numbers don't lynch me). 8)
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:03 pm

Ah, you mean this really old one: http://dedcon.homelinux.net:8000/dedcon/ticket/15
I thought you were talking about the IRC conversation a day or so back.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:09 pm

It is a PowerBook. The GPU isn't the best ever, so it has trouble keeping up with the rendering.

xander
torq
level3
level3

Postby torq » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:35 pm

You know, if I remember correctly MIRVs figured in my second post I wrote after I joined. But then this idea was fresh at least ;)

http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon ... php?t=2361
Original post dated Oct 04, 2006
NMO
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:50 am

Lol, i just saw this title on the threads and laughed :roll: ...second time lucky? :wink:

Return to “Think Tank”