Chat Protection

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:44 pm

hobophobe wrote:
Feud wrote: explain why it is a neccesary feature, and not just a personal desire.

Eat_The_Path wrote:to prevent malicious persons from ruining a game.

Malicious persons are ruining the game. Defcon needs a spam/flood filter. End of discussion.

I would have to disagree with that argument. I've played Defcon almost since launch day (L-Day +2), and it is easily the game that I play most. I would venture to say that I play it at least four to five days a week (my somewhat transient college life makes a game that can be carried on a USB very appealing). In that time, I've encountered this spam flood about three times (four at most).

I would hardly say it is "ruining the game", and it is certainly not as bad as the fleet clipping fiasco a little bit ago. Further, IV has provided solutions to this problem. They have bent over backwards to support the Dedcon servers, helping with code and adapting the Metaserver to support it. They have provided a way to turn off the chat box, which solved the problem every time I ran into it. As one fourm mentioned earlier, the host can block the person's IP, effectivly kicking the player from the server. You can turn off spec chat, which effectivly blocks the person (unless they are a player).

Granted, not every server out there is running Dedcon, but when you join someone elses game in the first place you are accepting that they are going to be setting the rules of play. As xander asked, why are you so opposed to using the tools we have been given to solve it?

Is it an annoying problem? Yes. Have I seen the same problem? Yes. Has IV provided ways to solve the problem? Yes.
Eat_The_Path
level1
level1

Postby Eat_The_Path » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:51 pm

Truthfully, if IV is supporting Dedcon as much as you say, that does make a difference to me. I stand by my opinion that the game probably should have at least had an ignore feature from the beginning. I have been investigating Dedcon as an option for future games.

Thanks for your time, though I would suggest that you try to avoid the pile on effect when it comes to new people post... I have found myself slipping into an unhealthily defense stance more than once in this conversation because of it. Just food for thought.

Return to “Think Tank”