New feature: remove units

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

torig
level5
level5

New feature: remove units

Postby torig » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:56 am

The search didn't turn up anything relevant (and seems a bit b0rked).

It would actually not be too bad if you could remove units you've already placed, to place them somewhere else.
Sometimes it happens you misclick (who would want an airfield _on_ London, eh Ice Cream :D :P ) and then this feature would come in handy.
It should be only allowed before defcon 4, as when radar comes into play and you can make out installations, it shouldn't be the point that the other party can just go about moving them (or those radars!! :shock: :shock: ).

Flame me gently :lol:
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:46 pm

I can agree with this, I change my mind often in Defcon 5 and in going back and forth between different units sometimes I place something, like a single battleship, on the complete opposite side of my territory I intended because I'm distracted by settling on a strategy.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:28 pm

I disagree with this. I think that were it put in place you would have everyone puting their carriers at their outer limit of placement to recon, then pulling them back to redeploy back by theri mainland based on what they saw.
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:34 pm

Not a lot of people place fleets before anything else, unless we're talking subs specifically.
Given the choice to place units -AND relocate them before defcon 4 hits- or do the same with your fleets, what choice would you make?

I see where you're coming from though.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:45 pm

This might be okay in Defcon 5, before your RADAR kicks in, but would be bad after that. If it were possible to place your units, then see your enemy's units and realize that your setup sucks for what your opponent has done, that would ruin some of the dynamics of the game.

xander
torq
level3
level3

Postby torq » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:00 pm

Once I've downloaded a new gfx mod with absolutely different icons representing radars and silos and deployed a cluster of radars instead of silos in the middle of USA. I was swearing a lot as I remember.

I think it would be great if it were possible to re-deploy your units before Defcon 4.
NMO
PSBirch
level2
level2

Postby PSBirch » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:05 pm

Personally, I'd like a completely different set up system, one with ::server-config:: min of realtime that allows you to drag-and-drop *all* your units, including the fighters, bombers, and nukes. But, failing that, I'll agree with this for two reasons:

1) Sometimes, esp on laggier connections, either a) the "click" won't register or b) only a portions of the packets will go through, resulting in awkward fleet placement.

2) It sometimes happens that you place a unit only to realize you've left no room for some other unit -- like a radar/airfield pair on Iceland or the like.
0mnicide
level1
level1

Postby 0mnicide » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:37 pm

Like xander says, it could only work without cheese before Defcon 4. Maybe you could have a limited (like 4 or 5) number of "do-overs" in case you fuck something up, but otherwise, just pay attention during placement and you'll be alright.
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:40 pm

I always pay attention and not only xander, but I myself, had indicated the change should only occur before defcon 4 :D
The suggestion of a limited number of do-over is perhaps a nice way to prevent some form of abuse though!
MikeTheWookiee
level4
level4

Postby MikeTheWookiee » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:41 pm

Thing is, I don't really place much before defcon 4 anyway except in those 1v1s where we're a long way away from each other. I do still think it's a good idea though, has a lot more legs than 99% of the stuff that gets posted in here.

Because who hasn't decided to place a Feud setup and accidentally put 6 radars around a single silo?
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:44 pm

MikeTheWookiee wrote:Because who hasn't decided to place a Feud setup and accidentally put 6 radars around a single silo?

Heh. Me, for one, but it won't be long now you've mentioned it. :P
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:07 am

shinygerbil wrote:
MikeTheWookiee wrote:Because who hasn't decided to place a Feud setup and accidentally put 6 radars around a single silo?

Heh. Me, for one, but it won't be long now you've mentioned it. :P

Heh. I've actually done it on purpose.
What madness drove me to such a rash action you ask?

Playing bert's "Radar Defense" server against zjoere :D :D :D

Return to “Think Tank”