My 3 Defcon Improvements.

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

KingAl
level5
level5

Re: Nuclear accidents do happen..(WHOOPS!)

Postby KingAl » Wed May 30, 2007 5:45 am

Tucsoncoyote wrote:and that's my point.. What if all of a sudden you side up on someone and you have accidentally launched an MIRV, there's another reason for the MIRV, but eh, Like I said, I'll let it drop.. but Xander is suggesting that the 'Disarm nuke' function is totally pointless just like the MIRV idea, so then why have them It's just as moot.

PS. you accidentally launched it, you can't turn it off, so then you'll have to explain why you did it.. (Shoot Responibly)

Tucsoncoyote--

I don't follow. You could use disarm nuke in a situation where you have 'accidentally launched' or you've just recently formed an alliance - that is how it is useful. In contrast, inherent in the concept of a 'dummy nuke' is that it serves as some kind of distraction. xander's point was that the 'distraction' might as well pose a real threat if it is in all other ways identical to 'real nukes'.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
xander
level5
level5

Re: Then the "Disarm Nuke Function" has to go, end

Postby xander » Wed May 30, 2007 3:03 pm

Tucsoncoyote wrote:--==<snip>==--

The obvious reason is this: when you ally someone, all of your inflight nukes that target them are disarmed. It can also be useful if you cease-fire against someone in the game after you launch nukes at them. May I also point out that, while you can order SRBMs or MRBMs to be disarmed, they will almost certainly not be disarmed before they hit their target. So, the disarm feature, in the game, as it is, is nearly useless. Finally, disarmed nukes do not continue to fly. They simply disappear from the screen.

xander
zkl
level2
level2
Location: (zkl aka bonsai), Doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby zkl » Wed May 30, 2007 3:26 pm

i used the disarm function already on different occasions, its imho uselful....
"tbh I always knew bonsai played like the devious brother of Nicholai Machiavelli!" :mgreen:
Radiant Caligula
level5
level5

Postby Radiant Caligula » Wed May 30, 2007 3:30 pm

xander wrote:The obvious reason is this: when you ally someone, all of your inflight nukes that target them are disarmed. It can also be useful if you cease-fire against someone in the game after you launch nukes at them. May I also point out that, while you can order SRBMs or MRBMs to be disarmed, they will almost certainly not be disarmed before they hit their target. So, the disarm feature, in the game, as it is, is nearly useless. Finally, disarmed nukes do not continue to fly. They simply disappear from the screen.

xander

maximum flight time for a bomber nuke is 4 mins and 7 1/2 mins for a sub.

Disarming time is the same 100secs for I/M/SRBMs. Disarming a max range bomber nuke is a tight one, but it is still doable. F.ex when nuking myself by accident the disarming mode is very useful.
-First you wanna kill me. Now you wanna kiss me?? BLOW!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed May 30, 2007 3:44 pm

Radiant Caligula wrote:maximum flight time for a bomber nuke is 4 mins and 7 1/2 mins for a sub.

Disarming time is the same 100secs for I/M/SRBMs. Disarming a max range bomber nuke is a tight one, but it is still doable. F.ex when nuking myself by accident the disarming mode is very useful.

Did I post anything that contradicted this statement? I said that it was unlikely that you would be able to disarm such a nuke before it hit. Many bomber nukes don't get launched from maximum range, and most people don't launch their subs from maximum range. Also, the point at which you decide to disarm the nukes is not, necessarily, the second you launch them.

xander
Radiant Caligula
level5
level5

Postby Radiant Caligula » Wed May 30, 2007 3:54 pm

xander wrote:
Radiant Caligula wrote:maximum flight time for a bomber nuke is 4 mins and 7 1/2 mins for a sub.

Did I post anything that contradicted this statement? I said that it was unlikely that you would be able to disarm such a nuke before it hit. Many bomber nukes don't get launched from maximum range, and most people don't launch their subs from maximum range. Also, the point at which you decide to disarm the nukes is not, necessarily, the second you launch them.

xander

I didn't say you did. I just gave some reasons why the disarming feature is more useful than you made it seem. I believe most bomber nukes are sent off at max range. Mostly advanced players retarget when closer to the drop zone. And I believe more sub launches are made further away than closer. I don't have any stats to back that up, but from what I see when playing most subs get launched off-shore instead of right next to big cities.
-First you wanna kill me. Now you wanna kiss me?? BLOW!

Return to “Think Tank”