Missiles of Mysterious Nationality?

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

kentuckyfried
level2
level2

Missiles of Mysterious Nationality?

Postby kentuckyfried » Thu May 17, 2007 4:51 pm

Just throwing it out there without much thought, I'll let you smarter people think about it.

What if there were an option to turn off missile's nationality/colour?
Seeing an incoming missile rain come in on the radar and not knowing exactly who it came from in a hectic multiplayer game could be pretty neat, on the surface at least.

Of course the launch detection could be a give away.....but if it were a busy, explosive period in defcon 1.............
Gen. Ripper
level3
level3

Postby Gen. Ripper » Thu May 17, 2007 4:53 pm

mmm you can try using the /name funtion (although I doubt many people will fall for it), but I agree, non-named ICBMs (and sub fire) would be cool unnamed, you could potentially pull of sneak attacks and get away with it
kentuckyfried
level2
level2

Postby kentuckyfried » Thu May 17, 2007 5:14 pm

I was thinking that an unknown bombing could be blamed on anyone other than the actual perpetrator, causing some excited fingerpointing and misplaced all-out retaliations too.
Last edited by kentuckyfried on Thu May 17, 2007 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smiling Buddha
level3
level3

Postby Smiling Buddha » Thu May 17, 2007 7:04 pm

Would be excellent in Diplo. Just like taking out your allies' ships with subs.
Koba
level1
level1

Postby Koba » Thu May 17, 2007 10:46 pm

Maybe once a player looses radar contact with a missile, the identity goes with it.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu May 17, 2007 11:16 pm

Koba wrote:Maybe once a player looses radar contact with a missile, the identity goes with it.

Well, once they lose radar contact they do kind of lose the identitiy, since they cannot see it. Or do you mean that once they lose radar contact they lose the ID even if they regain contact?

While this would be cool, the problem I see with it is it would mean you couldn't ceasefire with an opponent. Since you (and by extension, you silos) don't know who's they are, they will shoot at anyhting, which makes teaming up almost counter productive.
kentuckyfried
level2
level2

Postby kentuckyfried » Thu May 17, 2007 11:43 pm

Feud wrote:
Koba wrote:While this would be cool, the problem I see with it is it would mean you couldn't ceasefire with an opponent. Since you (and by extension, you silos) don't know who's they are, they will shoot at anyhting, which makes teaming up almost counter productive.

You would be able to identify your allies nukes, though it's true that the ceasefire function would be useless if the option were enabled.

Return to “Think Tank”