Battleships, 2nd mode.

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Nuke this
level1
level1

Battleships, 2nd mode.

Postby Nuke this » Thu May 17, 2007 5:03 am

Capture the enemy. Requires 2 battleships in a low combat range, switch time 240.

Could be used to capture carriers specifically.

Would add a lot of value to the battleships, and add an interesting game element whereby you can gain strength from attacking an enemy.
Sirthomasthegreat
level3
level3

Postby Sirthomasthegreat » Thu May 17, 2007 5:05 am

No. They wont do it. Try something more helpful, like a game lobby and chat.
Deamon
level2
level2

Postby Deamon » Thu May 17, 2007 4:07 pm

Every unit has extraordinary value whether you decide to use them in the right manner to that affect is your gain or loss.

So following up on that, I disagree with 'Capture Units'.
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Thu May 17, 2007 4:12 pm

If you want to waste time capturing my units thats fine by me :wink: you can chase them all over the globe whilst everything else i have rains down on you :twisted:
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Thu May 17, 2007 5:17 pm

Sirthomasthegreat wrote:No. They wont do it. Try something more helpful, like a game lobby and chat.

Mind if I steal this reply and put it on every single crap idea that gets posted in here? ;P
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu May 17, 2007 5:18 pm

shinygerbil wrote:
Ace Rimmer wrote:No. They wont do it. Try something more helpful, like a game lobby and chat.

Mind if I steal this reply and put it on every single crap idea that gets posted in here? ;P

Hey, it's easy, just use Berts hacks....
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
kentuckyfried
level2
level2

Postby kentuckyfried » Thu May 17, 2007 5:23 pm

What's with the animosity?

I'll admit that the idea doesn't sound feasible but no need to act this way.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu May 17, 2007 5:27 pm

Well, my reply was an attempt a humor, not animosity. :wink:
Gen. Ripper
level3
level3

Postby Gen. Ripper » Thu May 17, 2007 5:28 pm

if your "new" or have otherwise posted an idea which doesnt fit our entrenched viewpoint (depending on your position of course) then expect to get brief put downs and the such :shock:

but dont take it personally, its aimed at the Idea, not the person behind, also I would wager that any idea that would change the gameplay would be welcomed in the same way

(unless its the uber idea and proves the rule wrong)
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Fri May 18, 2007 5:55 am

Gen. Ripper wrote:but dont take it personally, its aimed at the Idea, not the person behind, also I would wager that any idea that would change the gameplay would be welcomed in the same way

Pretty much, particularly when they overcomplicate gameplay. This isn't to say that they're irrationally rejected - it seems to me the people who want gameplay changes were generally just expecting a different type of game.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
Smiling Buddha
level3
level3

Postby Smiling Buddha » Fri May 18, 2007 10:36 am

Perhaps the battleship could have two modes - in one mode it could only shoot down aircraft, and in t'other it could only destroy ships?

However, to balance this, they would have to be made slightly more effective against both.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri May 18, 2007 3:49 pm

Smiling Buddha wrote:Perhaps the battleship could have two modes - in one mode it could only shoot down aircraft, and in t'other it could only destroy ships?

However, to balance this, they would have to be made slightly more effective against both.

Now that is an intriguing idea. Battleships are the only unit in the game that do not have multiple modes (other than RADAR, towers, of course), and this has always niggled at me a bit. In the early alphas, they could shoot down nukes, but that ability is just too powerful. But forcing players to choose between AA and anti-ship is an intriguing idea. I am not sure that it is worth it -- it would radically alter the nature of naval engagements, and I am not clear on whether this would be a positive or negative impact to the game -- but it is interesting to think about, none the less.

xander
Smiling Buddha
level3
level3

Postby Smiling Buddha » Fri May 18, 2007 4:18 pm

xander wrote:
Smiling Buddha wrote:Perhaps the battleship could have two modes - in one mode it could only shoot down aircraft, and in t'other it could only destroy ships?

Now that is an intriguing idea. Battleships are the only unit in the game that do not have multiple modes (other than RADAR, towers, of course), and this has always niggled at me a bit. In the early alphas, they could shoot down nukes, but that ability is just too powerful. But forcing players to choose between AA and anti-ship is an intriguing idea. I am not sure that it is worth it -- it would radically alter the nature of naval engagements, and I am not clear on whether this would be a positive or negative impact to the game -- but it is interesting to think about, none the less.

xander

:shock:

I am honoured that you deem my idea at least acceptable. I think that I might have just experienced Nirvana.

Anyway, I don't think it would change naval battles that radically; although I think it would further widen the gap between the top players and their less skillful counterparts.

Also, fighters only have one mode surely? Unless you count combat and recon as separate modes...
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri May 18, 2007 4:30 pm

Smiling Buddha wrote:
xander wrote:

xander

:shock:

I am honored that you deem my idea at least acceptable. I think that I might have just experienced Nirvana.

Anyway, I don't think it would change naval battles that radically; although I think it would further widen the gap between the top players and their less skillful counterparts.

Also, fighters only have one mode surely? Unless you count combat and recon as separate modes...

:shock: as well. ...and you forgot suicide mode for fighters, er wait, thats the only mode for fighters...

I'm not sure if it would radically alter naval engagements. If battleships had anti-plane/anti-ship modes and were more effective at both, then I would simply put all my battleships in anti-plane mode at the start of naval fights instead of having to manually tell them to concentrate fire on fighters. Then, mid fight when the other players fighters are spent, change to anti-ship mode. It would just make my strategy less "manual". (most of the time)

If one of the modes was AA against nukes, now that would be a radical change. You could overpower another players navy and set your battleships at his coast to take out nukes (that you could get in range of) as they were fired!
Smiling Buddha
level3
level3

Postby Smiling Buddha » Fri May 18, 2007 5:15 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:I'm not sure if it would radically alter naval engagements. If battleships had anti-plane/anti-ship modes and were more effective at both, then I would simply put all my battleships in anti-plane mode at the start of naval fights instead of having to manually tell them to concentrate fire on fighters. Then, mid fight when the other players fighters are spent, change to anti-ship mode. It would just make my strategy less "manual". (most of the time)

If one of the modes was AA against nukes, now that would be a radical change. You could overpower another players navy and set your battleships at his coast to take out nukes (that you could get in range of) as they were fired!

I think that allowing battleships to take out nukes would make them pretty overpowered, unless you only gave them a small firing radius in this mode.

Return to “Think Tank”