Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

JESUS
level2
level2

Index finger of a ninety year old ?

Postby JESUS » Fri May 11, 2007 6:54 am

Suggestion . . . .

would it be possible to have an extra function where you can switch ALL your carriers, subs , air bases and silo in one hit ?

for instance, when def 3 hits generally i switch my fleet and bases to bombers rather than fighters. A lot of frantic mouse clicking and scrolling could be avoided if you had an option to control all fleet .

same could be done with subs - between passive and active sonar.
silo could go into launch mode at the same time to save the time delay you sometimes get etc :)

I think it could take away some of the real time game play experienced , making the game more fluid.

Obviously I wouldn't want to see any of the features we have already taken away, but perhaps these as extra options.

It could also prevent my right index finger being worn down to the knuckle. . .

Any thoughts ?

keep swearing to a minimum please !! :wink:
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Fri May 11, 2007 9:27 am

If you hold Shift when issuing the command, I think, it should apply to the whole fleet. Although, admittedly not much use if you put everything in fleets of 1.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Fri May 11, 2007 3:46 pm

Montyphy wrote:If you hold Shift when issuing the command, I think, it should apply to the whole fleet. Although, admittedly not much use if you put everything in fleets of 1.

Yup, 100% correct. ideal for bomber mode changes...not advised for surfacing all your subs at once :roll:
xander
level5
level5

Re: Index finger of a ninety year old ?

Postby xander » Fri May 11, 2007 3:57 pm

JESUS wrote:would it be possible to have an extra function where you can switch ALL your carriers, subs , air bases and silo in one hit ?

If you create large fleets of one type of unit, you can switch them all with shift. You don't have a lot of individual control, but you can switch all of your units at once. If you want fine control, you sacrifice some of that gross control. It is one of many trade offs in the game. As to airbases and silos, why? It doesn't help to switch them all at once, and it isn't like there are that many to switch around, anyway.

xander
Smiling Buddha
level3
level3

Postby Smiling Buddha » Fri May 11, 2007 5:06 pm

Perhaps the shift mechanism could be applied to installations - selecting a silo, and shift-clicking on ICMB Launch would flip all your silos open, whilst shift clicking on Bomber Launch would do the same for all of your airbases?

Also, I think JESUS' point about reducing real time action and making the game more fluid is very valid.
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Fri May 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Smiling Buddha wrote:Perhaps the shift mechanism could be applied to installations - selecting a silo, and shift-clicking on ICMB Launch would flip all your silos open, whilst shift clicking on Bomber Launch would do the same for all of your airbases?

Also, I think JESUS' point about reducing real time action and making the game more fluid is very valid.

Won't this take away some of the skill involved in playing the game? not to mention the 'art' (use the word loosely) of micro management and perfect timing?
Smiling Buddha
level3
level3

Postby Smiling Buddha » Fri May 11, 2007 9:00 pm

Hyperion wrote:
Smiling Buddha wrote:Perhaps the shift mechanism could be applied to installations - selecting a silo, and shift-clicking on ICMB Launch would flip all your silos open, whilst shift clicking on Bomber Launch would do the same for all of your airbases?

Won't this take away some of the skill involved in playing the game? not to mention the 'art' (use the word loosely) of micro management and perfect timing?

This could be said about carriers and subs, surely?

On t'other hand, I expect that many players will open their silos in order of furthest-away-from-target, in order to group nukes more closely. So it wouldn't really be that useful.
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Fri May 11, 2007 9:05 pm

True but if unless you intend for an orgazmo launch, surfacing all subs at once means they could be lost all at once, i open one sub first, one in the back, if it comes under fire i dont surface the other subs in that group, i move them. hence the hazard of group surfacing (silo emptying) but then again...as i said before i guess it has both pro's and con's and just depends how you use this :) so yeah, im all for it, anything i think i can turn as an advantage to my game :twisted:
Smiling Buddha
level3
level3

Postby Smiling Buddha » Fri May 11, 2007 9:12 pm

Hyperion wrote: i open one sub first, one in the back, if it comes under fire i dont surface the other subs in that group, i move them.

*steals*

Not sure how I didn't think of that...

I conclude that shift-clicking is the easy option, whilst micromanaging is tactically advantageous; and that since this follows the trend of every other facet of Defcon, the option to shift click on airbases and silos should be included (even if I don't intend to use it).

Return to “Think Tank”