Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Ace Starfire
level1
level1

Postby Ace Starfire » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:45 pm

xander wrote:
Ace Starfire wrote:Stay on topic please :x

We are on topic. The topic of conversation changed, or evolved, from the original seed that you gave us. If you want to bring things back onto the original topic, the best was to do that is to simply make a post that is within that topic. If you demand that people get back on topic, some pedantic asshole is likely to inform you that this is a conversation, and topics evolve and change. That will bring things further off-topic. Now, really, don't lay out bait for pedantic assholes. We have enough of those as it is. ;)

xander

I must dissagree sir. Here's an example. Let's say your at a mattress convention. You attend a pannel discussion on air cussion mattresses and one of the promoters says, "It'll be like your floating in mid air" No body randomly blurts out. "Hmm floating in mid air ehy? OMG GUYS YOU KNOW WHAT WOULD BE AWESOME TO FLOAT IN MID AIR WITH?! JETPACKS!" Suddenly everybody is talking about jetpacks and how awesome they are. Now nothing gets accomplished because the conversation has gone so far off topic that it is compleatly irrelivent to getting anything done that these people know about.

Same principle applies here. A topic is started to discuss that specific topic it's not a casual conversation. If you want a casual conversation then take that conversation to a thread that is relevent to what your talking about or make your own thread with those paramaters. Thats why they make it so easy to make new threads

ON TOPIC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another interesting sound effect might be some more voice overs. Someone praying or maybe even a little commotion with a collective group murmmering at what is showing on the screen.

Men saying
"God save us...", "Damage Report!", or "...Madness..."

Perhaps regional specific comments such as saying "Ay Dios Miyo" for South America or "Death to the Infidel" for African controlled territories.

Even commenting on successful hits on enemeys.

"Take THAT you Sons of Bitches!", "Confirmed! Direct Hit, Sir" or maybe even a sympathetic comment like "God have mercy on their souls" or "What have we done? :cry: "
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:56 pm

Ace Starfire wrote:I must dissagree sir. Here's an example. Let's say your at a mattress convention. You attend a pannel discussion on air cussion mattresses and one of the promoters says, "It'll be like your floating in mid air" No body randomly blurts out. "Hmm floating in mid air ehy? OMG GUYS YOU KNOW WHAT WOULD BE AWESOME TO FLOAT IN MID AIR WITH?! JETPACKS!" Suddenly everybody is talking about jetpacks and how awesome they are. Now nothing gets accomplished because the conversation has gone so far off topic that it is compleatly irrelivent to getting anything done that these people know about.

Same principle applies here. A topic is started to discuss that specific topic it's not a casual conversation. If you want a casual conversation then take that conversation to a thread that is relevent to what your talking about or make your own thread with those paramaters. Thats why they make it so easy to make new threads

You do realize that, by responding with further counter-arguments, you are giving those same pedantic assholes more opportunities to carry the thread further off-topic, right? As I said before, the way to get a thread back on topic is not to yell at people to do so, but to simply post on-topic.

Furthermore, while other forums that you inhabit may have rules about staying on topic, and never straying, this one does not. This is not a mattress convention. This is the bar next to the mattress convention, where all the mattress sales people and manufacturers go in the evening. The culture here is very informal. Topics wander around all the time. Read through the archives. Pretty much any topic over a page or so will have wandered. I am not trying to be argumentative. I am trying to inform you, a relative newbie to these forums, about how things tend to work here. I am not telling you what the rules are, and I am not telling you what you have to do. I am trying to help you understand the culture of this particular forum, and what you can do to avoid giving yourself an ulcer.

If you had simply continued to post on-topic, without requesting that other people not post off-topic, this whole tangent would never have occurred. ;)

xander
Weps
level3
level3

Postby Weps » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:09 pm

Ace Starfire wrote:Stay on topic please :x

This thread is about the promotion of a "Nuclear Shockwave" in-game effect not.

I figured two posts beyond yours it already ended...

And as xander pointed out, there is already a site for it, and you got one of the largest companies feeding money into it. What more promotion do you want?
Ace Starfire
level1
level1

Postby Ace Starfire » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:28 am

xander wrote:
Ace Starfire wrote:I must dissagree sir. Here's an example. Let's say your at a mattress convention. You attend a pannel discussion on air cussion mattresses and one of the promoters says, "It'll be like your floating in mid air" No body randomly blurts out. "Hmm floating in mid air ehy? OMG GUYS YOU KNOW WHAT WOULD BE AWESOME TO FLOAT IN MID AIR WITH?! JETPACKS!" Suddenly everybody is talking about jetpacks and how awesome they are. Now nothing gets accomplished because the conversation has gone so far off topic that it is compleatly irrelivent to getting anything done that these people know about.

You do realize that, by responding with further counter-arguments, you are giving those same pedantic assholes more opportunities to carry the thread further off-topic, right? As I said before, the way to get a thread back on topic is not to yell at people to do so, but to simply post on-topic.

Furthermore, while other forums that you inhabit may have rules about staying on topic, and never straying, this one does not. This is not a mattress convention. This is the bar next to the mattress convention, where all the mattress sales people and manufacturers go in the evening. The culture here is very informal. Topics wander around all the time. Read through the archives. Pretty much any topic over a page or so will have wandered. I am not trying to be argumentative. I am trying to inform you, a relative newbie to these forums, about how things tend to work here. I am not telling you what the rules are, and I am not telling you what you have to do. I am trying to help you understand the culture of this particular forum, and what you can do to avoid giving yourself an ulcer.

If you had simply continued to post on-topic, without requesting that other people not post off-topic, this whole tangent would never have occurred. ;)

xander

Xander you are indeed a fine example of a gentleman. Most would have flooded this topic with flames. I appreciate the lesson on how this forum works. As you pointed out, I am indeed used to forums with a stricter policy of staying on topic and am quite new to not only these forums but DEFCON itself. Hence my sudden demand for posts relative to the opening subject. I am now much more open to posts wavering off-topic and not relative to the original post. I'm not trying to sound condescending or sarcastic. In fact, I quite appreciate and in fact respect that you would actually take the time to educate a newbie, such as myself, on the operations of these forums and not simply tell me to piss off.

As I stated before xander you are indeed a gentleman and a scholar.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To all others posting here. My apologies for disrupting your conversation. It was out of place and unneeded hostility. Feel free to to continue.

As a matter of fact... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar_Bomba

Thought that might be relevent ;)
PsychicKid
level2
level2

Postby PsychicKid » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:35 am

I rather like the idea of optional voiceovers. Would be fun.
Most
level0

Postby Most » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:30 am

Ace Starfire wrote:Most would have flooded this topic with flames.

Fuck you, man. Fuck you.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:36 am

Ace Starfire wrote:--==<snip>==--

No worries. And don't worry about interrupting conversations. Most of us really don't care.

Now, back to the topic of ambiance. I have always thought that some artful screen flickers would be kind of nifty. Plaster falling from the ceiling, too, but that would be a bit harder to pull off.

I also like the idea of distant rumbles. The sound for explosions in Defcon are pretty neat, but they would be really cool if they had some major bass. Although I am not sure that .ogg (or .mp3, or really any digital format) can reproduce that level of bass. I'm talking real low bass, like a 32 foot organ pipe. The kind of bass that you don't hear at all, because it is too low, but that you feel. I've got a sub-woofer that can pull off bass nearly that well, and would love to employ it. That being said, I don't think that distant rumbles would be all that realistic. If a bomb hits LA, and you are several hundred miles away in Cheyenne Mountain, you wouldn't feel or hear it. Still, that doesn't mean that they wouldn't be cool.

xander
PsychicKid
level2
level2

Postby PsychicKid » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:36 am

Most wrote:

Fuck you, man. Fuck you.

And a friendly warm hello to you too!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:29 am

Most wrote:

Fuck you, man. Fuck you.

I believe that was an attempt at humour. You fail it. On a scale from one to fail, you have scored a fail to the power of fail. If you were a race horse, you would be call Man o' Fail. The oder of fail that you give off is so powerful that dogs 200 miles away hide their faces to avoid the stench. If fail were a sound, it would be so powerful that it could be heard through the vacuum of space. YOU. FAIL. IT.

Oh, and welcome to the boards.

xander
Radiant Caligula
level5
level5

Postby Radiant Caligula » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:07 am

xander wrote:
Ace Starfire wrote:--==<snip>==--

No worries. And don't worry about interrupting conversations. Most of us really don't care.

Now, back to the topic of ambiance. I have always thought that some artful screen flickers would be kind of nifty. Plaster falling from the ceiling, too, but that would be a bit harder to pull off.

I also like the idea of distant rumbles. The sound for explosions in Defcon are pretty neat, but they would be really cool if they had some major bass. Although I am not sure that .ogg (or .mp3, or really any digital format) can reproduce that level of bass. I'm talking real low bass, like a 32 foot organ pipe. The kind of bass that you don't hear at all, because it is too low, but that you feel. I've got a sub-woofer that can pull off bass nearly that well, and would love to employ it. That being said, I don't think that distant rumbles would be all that realistic. If a bomb hits LA, and you are several hundred miles away in Cheyenne Mountain, you wouldn't feel or hear it. Still, that doesn't mean that they wouldn't be cool.

xander

I sort of thought Defcon would have the same bass sound as WarGames had when a nuke detonated on the NORAD screens. I was a bit disappointed about that.

Is there a mod somewhere that replaces the existing SFX with the low bass WG thumping?
Weps
level3
level3

Postby Weps » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:19 am

Radiant Caligula wrote:I sort of thought Defcon would have the same bass sound as WarGames had when a nuke detonated on the NORAD screens. I was a bit disappointed about that.

Is there a mod somewhere that replaces the existing SFX with the low bass WG thumping?

I have been looking for a simular sound, but could not find anything. Also, I do have the wargames movie, but ripping the sound from it isnt worth it (you'll hear part of the music). I figure anyone with a decent synthesizer could make it in a few seconds. So who has one and wants to?

See the wargames mod for the only sound I could get from wargames =]
diomedes
level2
level2

Postby diomedes » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:26 am

uhm, i have a subwoofer and it rumbles pretty damn loud, and you can feel it in your chest pretty easily, if its at the right volume of course.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:10 am

diomedes wrote:uhm, i have a subwoofer and it rumbles pretty damn loud, and you can feel it in your chest pretty easily, if its at the right volume of course.

It is not a question of rumbling loud. It is a question of rumbling low. I am not sure that you understand quite how low I am talking. Have you ever heard a really good organ played, live? Most of the really nice organs have a rank of 32' pipes. The lowest note in this rank is a C natural, and is a little more than 16 Hz. Compare this to the lowest note on a piano, which is around 70 Hz. That 16 Hz note is below human perception, but can still be felt. Then, very rarely, you will come across an organ with another rank of pipes an octave below that. Those pipes can produce an 8 or 9 Hz rumble that you cannot hear, but that you will feel. Can your subwoofer do that? I know that mine can't...

xander

EDIT: Doing a quick jaunt around the internets, the best subwoofers that I am seeing will go down to about 30 Hz, or about an octave above the lowest of the 32' pipes. That would be close, but doesn't quite cut the mustard.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:39 am

And a lot of modern pipe organs are entirely electronic. Move over amBX.
(Of course, that would lead to obligatory bad jokes about 'pulling out all stops' while playing.)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:14 pm

KingAl wrote:And a lot of modern pipe organs are entirely electronic. Move over amBX.
(Of course, that would lead to obligatory bad jokes about 'pulling out all stops' while playing.)

Not the good ones. ;)

xander

Return to “Think Tank”