sub blind nuke firing!

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

zkl
level2
level2
Location: (zkl aka bonsai), Doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

sub blind nuke firing!

Postby zkl » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:45 pm

hi,

one thing i would like to be changed since i started nuking fleets is the opportunity to nuke ships with subs. thats already possible, but unfortunately u only can fire at ships u see, u cant fire blindly, why?

perhaps in the next patch :)?
Gen. Ripper
level3
level3

Postby Gen. Ripper » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:17 pm

mmm this is a little pointless too, since the only effective option to nuke fleets is to use bombers and adjust your aim forward of a fleet, if you ue subs, they only fire on a current ship location, meaning if that ship moves (as often the case) then you would have wasted a nuke....

.....mmmm just thinking, blind fire would of course mean you could target empty land/sea so I guess it would work, although bear in mind that sub's are rather exposed once they fire, and the best use of their ICBMs would be against Silo's (imho)
zkl
level2
level2

Postby zkl » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:51 pm

Gen. Ripper wrote:mmm this is a little pointless too, since the only effective option to nuke fleets is to use bombers and adjust your aim forward of a fleet, if you ue subs, they only fire on a current ship location, meaning if that ship moves (as often the case) then you would have wasted a nuke....

i must disagree, when i know where the enemy fleet is, and its in a relatively small area (eg russian starting position or the passage between england and iceland), i carpet bomb the area with like 10-15 bombs
u loose lets say 10 bombs with the chance to it him really hard - i risk it :twisted: ! and even in case u dont hit anything, normally the opponent battle formation is broken after the rain, and if u push forward swiftly u waste him

Gen. Ripper wrote:.....mmmm just thinking, blind fire would of course mean you could target empty land/sea so I guess it would work, although bear in mind that sub's are rather exposed once they fire, and the best use of their ICBMs would be against Silo's (imho)

i must disagree ur evaluation of the situation again ;). when they are surfaced they are vulnerable, thats true, but this unit is the artillery of defcon. if i use them in naval fights (as nuking unit) i put them far behind the frontline and let them fire their nuke from a save distance
Gen. Ripper
level3
level3

Postby Gen. Ripper » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:23 pm

zkl wrote:i must disagree, when i know where the enemy fleet is, and its in a relatively small area (eg russian starting position or the passage between england and iceland), i carpet bomb the area with like 10-15 bombs
u loose lets say 10 bombs with the chance to it him really hard - i risk it :twisted: ! and even in case u dont hit anything, normally the opponent battle formation is broken after the rain, and if u push forward swiftly u waste him

mm, but you would only be able to target visable ships, and not just target unscouted sea as you would with bombers.
using your method you would need existing radar coverage, or a swam of fighters in the area, or a carrier group within range, the point is you need radar over the ships to target them. Bombers are the only units which can complete a bombing mission without existing radar coverage (of giving away postions such as a silo strike)

zkl" wrote:i must disagree ur evaluation of the situation again ;). when they are surfaced they are vulnerable, thats true, but this unit is the artillery of defcon. if i use them in naval fights (as nuking unit) i put them far behind the frontline and let them fire their nuke from a save distance

this would only work if again you had radar coverage over the targeted units, without a target the subs cannot fire "blind", once again the bomber lends itself to this task well. also, the subs would expose their postion, but thats your own choice of course.
zkl
level2
level2

Postby zkl » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:48 pm

yeah at the moment u still have to scout which frankly sux, as stated the subs should be able to shoot at whatever they want in their range

Return to “Think Tank”