Most desired patch upgrade?

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

What feature would you most like to see implemented?

Better MOD support
12%
An organised Tournament
6%
Player Ranking/Matching system
33%
Map Editor / Scenario Editor
16%
Better AI Opponent
13%
Recording and Playback of games
19%

Total votes: 509
SuVir
level2
level2

Postby SuVir » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:18 pm

I voted for a ranking system, but I actually meant all of the options :wink:
gerph
level1
level1

Postby gerph » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:24 pm

Whilst I applaud the addition of the big features, there are a few little things that I think would help greatly (and if you're not taking such suggestions here then just ignore me; I'll go away :-) )...

1) In the server selection list displaying the type of game and the length of time it has run for would help greatly. Why ? Because some people really like to play Diplomacy (or other types - it just happens that that's been raised on General recently) and the only way to find such games at the moment is for people to put the word 'diplomacy' in the game name. Similarly, if you love watching the game as I do then finding a game that's only just started is vastly preferable to one that's been running for 3 hours - again the only way to find out is to hover over the game at the moment.

2) When playing it's often very handy to have a quick overview of the world. You're micromanaging your fleets or bombers and want to quickly see if you're getting whupped back home. I would suggest that just jumping the scale back to 'the full world' when you press the scroll wheel in (or the 3rd mouse button if you have one), and then return to the current scale and position when released would fulfill this.

3) A way of setting the server name permanently. Many servers just come up with the default name - maybe because people don't know they can change it, but possibly because they're fed up of changing the name every single time... It would at least make it easier to locate a particular game.

4) Faster spectator synchronisation (and presumably this would help in-game rejoins as well). At present it's necessary to wait quite a while for the synchronisation to catch up. This means that trying to spectate any game that's been going for a significant length of time (like more than an hour game-time) means that it can be quite difficult to catch up. Technically I know this is probably the hardest of the things, but it would make it a lot easier to catch up, etc. Because I think this is very close to the way that a recording of the game would be done within the source, I've voted for improved recording system anyhow :-)

5) The ability to target all the subs in a group on a single. I know this has been discussed at length, but it seems logical to me that just as you give movement orders to an entire fleet as a whole you should also be able to do this to all the subs in the group. Ctrl-Click to aim all the subs at a target. Or something.

Ok, I'm done. Only 5) actually affects gameplay; the others are pretty much usability features that don't change the balance of the game.
Rock
level2
level2

Postby Rock » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:39 am

I personally would like to see all of them, but the playback option appealed to me the most. I would love to see my past annihiliation tactics and learn how to win better.
scholt
level1
level1

Postby scholt » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:01 am

I voted for MOD support and have some smaller suggestions:

I think it would be nice to have a Filter option in the Server list, where you could filter games or sort them, for example: only games without password and free slots sorted alphabetically

After a game it would be nice bring all players back to the lobby.

Reading Servername from config file, an perhaps have the possibility to add a small server description (about 250 chars) which pops up on mouseover in the serverlist or something.

Some kind of "speed request", where every player gets a popup like "player X has requested the speed Y, do you want to in/decrease the speed?" ... okay you could simply ask in the chat but as I experienced most players don't respond to it.

... and verry nice would be a linux version and multi-monitor support :wink:
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:03 am

scholt wrote:... and verry nice would be a linux version and multi-monitor support :wink:

Linux is already on the way, and I though Defcon could do multi-monitor already?

NeoThermic
DrFreedom
level1
level1

Postby DrFreedom » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:10 am

I will most likely get my ass kicked for posting this.... but

http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon ... 08&start=0

the global view. i know, completly impossible to consider under any circumstances, right?
Corbeau
level1
level1

Postby Corbeau » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:18 am

Recording and playback of games is the most needed feature in my mind, head and shoulders above the other options.
"Rule #13: do onto others." - The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:25 am

Corbeau wrote:Recording and playback of games is the most needed feature in my mind, head and shoulders above the other options.
agreed
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
Mclucky
level1
level1

Postby Mclucky » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:50 am

In order:

Ladder/Ranking system (voted for). I would like to have a sort of guage to see how good I am against other players. A big factor to replay with. I would like to suggest that there are seperate rankings for the game type selected. along with a special "Tournament" ladder. Would be good to compare how people fare in Default games vs Diplomacy games, BTW.
Demo Recording Whenever I play Go online, half the fun is taking your match apart at the end of it and seeing how each player could have played better, to avoid common pitfalls and see what's going on. This is a feature I would very much like to see.
Tournaments! I know I'm not going to win, people could organise unofficial tournaments as well. But hey! I'm all up for prizes!
MOD Inclusivity Some top notch MODs out there, would love to be able to change them and join games that are Modded as well.
Better AI Even I have a quick blast on my lonesome, the AI is very easy. But low on my priorities, DEFCON is #1 a multiplayer game and everyone I've played against has been a blast.
Map Editor I think there are tools out there already for this. Although not IV supported, I think it'd be nice to have that the fans can say is genuinely "theirs" and a big contribution to the game.

Otherwise, they're ALL features I'd like to see. Do we have an ETA on the next patch yet? :)
cleverivan
level1
level1

Postby cleverivan » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:15 am

To me the Ranking system with accumulated scoring attached to your game name. Otherwise the scores that you obtain or that you win or lose have no meaning at all. Perhaps a permanent Stats Table showing your results for all games played.
ridestowe
level1
level1

Postby ridestowe » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:30 am

mod support first then ranking. or simultaneously since they're both great ideas.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:10 am

Um...

wouldn't mod support and Map editing go together?

Map editing is part of modding the game, so technically in order to encourage the prevalance of Mods, the map editor is essential to mod support.

Unless IV wishes to have that particular weight carried by the community?
Maffyland
level0

Postby Maffyland » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:45 am

Kuth wrote:Um...

wouldn't mod support and Map editing go together?

Map editing is part of modding the game, so technically in order to encourage the prevalance of Mods, the map editor is essential to mod support.

Unless IV wishes to have that particular weight carried by the community?

I thought that. What I think would be good is the ability to assign different graphics to different armies.
Timpe
level0

Postby Timpe » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:14 am

1. Player Ranking / Matching system
2. Better MOD support

\o/
grim
level1
level1

Postby grim » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:25 am

I would have said hotkeys, but failing that I feel a ladder/ranking system would benefit the longterm.

Return to “Think Tank”