Aircraft for Each Continent

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:05 pm

You already can, after a fashion, give each country its own units. Most of the sprites in the game are white with a black background. The black background is transparent, while anything in white shows in the team color. The team color is created by subtracting other colors from the sprite. For instance, if you want the unit to be red, you have to subtract teal (which is a combination of blue and green) from the sprite. When you subtract the appropriate colors, white areas will change color, and black areas will stay black.

Now, here is where it gets interesting. What happens if you put colors in your sprite? For instance, what happens if you put yellow in your sprite?

Remember, the sprites are colored by subtracting non-team colors. So, if you have yellow in your sprite, it will appear or disappear, depending upon which team it is on. If you subtract green from it, you will be left with a red unit (so it will look red on the red team, and the magenta team); if you subtract red, you will be left with a green unit (so it will look green on the green or teal teams); if you subtract blue, it will still be yellow (so it will look yellow on the yellow team); and if you subtract both red and green (yellow), it will be transparent. If you put blue in your sprite, it will only show up on the teal, blue, and magenta teams. &c.

This method is not perfect, but it can add some variability.

xander
blackwhitehawk
level2
level2

Postby blackwhitehawk » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:22 am

i thoght you could only have 1 models total like if you add a f14 model it would be gobal for all countrys. I guess i need to look more into it.
djdemo
level1
level1

Postby djdemo » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:47 pm

="Kuth
My examples above are what I WOULD NOT LIKE TO SEE if continent-specific icons are created. However, how likely do you think it will be that somoene raises this arguement...especially from folks wanting to turn Defcon into a sim?

Yes, but those examples are what I want to see... so why stand in the way of something that you won't even have to play?

No one is changing the copy you have - but many of us would like specific US vs USSR units, with their own capabilities. I understand that is not what you want, but why rain on our parade?

Return to “Think Tank”