Scenarios

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Cyan
level0

Scenarios

Postby Cyan » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:36 pm

Something that might add a bit more spice to the game is some pre-set scenarios similar to what was seen in "Wargames." For example, when the WOPR was 'fighting' against itself, you notice a lot of different named nuclear war scenarios such as:

"US First Strike", "USSR First Strike", and then more obscure ones, such as: "Iraq Sovereignty", "Lebanon Interdiction", "Chile Confrontation", "NATO Alternate", etc.

It'd be interesting to have these scenarios as small one-player games (i.e. player vs. the CPU) that would have certain conditions per scenario. For example, in "USSR First Strike", if I were playing the USA, then I wouldn't be allowed to launch anything before the first USSR nuke left its silo. I think these "scenarios" would work rather well for multiplayer games as well.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WarGames , there are over 150 scenarios in total.

I understand that some of them may be difficult to implement, considering that Defcon really has no notion of "individual countries", so trying to run a scenario involving a set country might be difficult or cumbersome on such a huge map. Then again, that might be reason enough to implement different smaller maps depending on the scenario.

-RS.
OutOfAmmo
level1
level1

Postby OutOfAmmo » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:35 pm

Excellent idea. Another possibilty is to focus on a small part of the map, such as breaking up South Asia to fill the whole screen. That way, individual countries could be used without cluttering up the screen.
courier
level0

Postby courier » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:16 pm

The obvious way to do this would be to have certain regions of the map "unlock" different features at different times -- essentially different DEFCON progressions for different areas. For instance, to simulate a North Korea/US conflict, the pacific rim might progress through the DEFCON states normally while other areas would stick at DEFCON 4 until a conventional unit entered their territory or DEFCON 2 until a nuclear unit entered their territory. This would pose a strategic dilemma -- you would want to post silos in the early-unlocking areas so that they can operate early, but not at the risk of having too few to go around. It would also add a layer to diplomacy, as allied sides might look for ways to get their still-locked neighbors unlocked and into the fight, eg via naval provocations.

Lots of possibilities here. A system of scripting DEFCON levels by region would go a very long way.
desktopsimmer
level3
level3

Postby desktopsimmer » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:25 pm

I like that idea of the 'Wargames' Scenarios, but have it based on RL countries (not regions) Numbers and capabilities of Nuclear, naval, and airforce units, i.e. US would have a lot of nukes, north Korea would have only 10. The diplomacy game would be little more interesting with 32 countries/players :).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... ar_weapons

Return to “Think Tank”