Suggestions For Future Patch

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Cunny Funt
level1
level1

Postby Cunny Funt » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:42 pm

I would like to have three different symbols for ICBMs (launched via silos), SRBM (launched via sub) and for nukes dropped by bombers. :)
VolatileLife
level0

Postby VolatileLife » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:43 pm

*Bug in the Chat if you type "a" (same Key as for scrolling left) too fast (repeat rate to high to trigger "move" than "type") you instantly lose chat focus and your world is scrolled to the left.

*Scroll speed should be variable from options menu (to increase the speed)- it's too slow in closer zoom stages
idolminds
level0

Postby idolminds » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:54 pm

When you attempt to connect to a server via IP, if the server has a password, the connect will fail without giving you a chance to enter a password. So adding a place to do this would be great.

A feature I like in other games is the ability to record a game session to a file so you can play it back later. You can watch what your enemy does after the fact, maybe learn some things.
XF Clohvn
level1
level1

Postby XF Clohvn » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:20 pm

I'd like to echo all the server browser suggestions. So far finding a game has been the most difficult part of the game for me :P

Also, I'd like to see some way of seeing your nukes' trajectory beforehand. Something as simple as showing a transparent flight path from your silo to your target on mouse over would be awesome.

Otherwise, the game has been great so far :)
Sydney CDN
level1
level1

VOIP

Postby Sydney CDN » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:45 pm

How about VOIP for alliances a la BF2. Makes co-ordination much easier. Or perhaps I just don't type swiftly.
hellcatv
level2
level2

Postby hellcatv » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:00 pm

Everything is wonderful--but i would probably pay another $5 if you folks made the rolling demo wait for 20 seconds, then start a new rolling demo :-)
With that, the potential for putting it on some of the machines around the office for giggles would be huge ;-)
ARRG
level1
level1

Postby ARRG » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:40 am

A thing about diplomacy. When a vote is started, the vote timer should be 5x faster if the game is at 5x speed. Otherwise people set speed to realtime until the vote comes to an end. This can be pretty boring.
Am I the only one who thinks more of the Eiffel Tower, the Kremlin or the Coliseum than of people when nuking cities ?

(PS: excuse my possibly-bad english ^^')
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:12 am

Bas wrote:- Get some uberleet hax to make it easier to join games. I remember reading Skype using techniques that allowed it to ignore firewalls. How about some of this for Defcon?

This is called NAT Holepunching, and Defcon already does it. Basically if your router doesn't allow NAT Holepunching or direct connections, then it won't work. Skype gets around the problem of stubborn NATs by also trying port 80 over TCP and 443 over TCP, but Defcon is full UDP, and thus those won't work with Defcon.

VolatileLife wrote:Bug in the Chat if you type "a" (same Key as for scrolling left) too fast (repeat rate to high to trigger "move" than "type") you instantly lose chat focus and your world is scrolled to the left.

This was changed to make it so that if you still had chat window focus, it didn't get in the way of rapid or hurried attempts to scroll.

Sydney CDN wrote:How about VOIP for alliances a la BF2. Makes co-ordination much easier. Or perhaps I just don't type swiftly.

This would raise the bandwidth requirements of both the client and the server to silly levels. The game can currently be played on a 56k, adding VoIP would kill that ability.

NeoThermic
Hojo
level0

Postby Hojo » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:08 am

I think a way to change the Power of Units...make them slower or faster... put more Nukes on a Silo ... oder create complet new Units/Buildings would be cool...
Then can the modding really start...^^
wmdzeek
level0

Postby wmdzeek » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:26 am

I'd like to see some commands (dont know if there is any) like for when u know your screwed so you type /nuke all or something like that. Also some edit gametype support would be nice, like set up a realistic game NATO vs COMMIES, America vs World... at the ending of war games all those scenarios play out.
jokeyrhyme
level1
level1

Postby jokeyrhyme » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:28 am

I like the option to have nuke counters, especially so you can see at a glance how many you still have. Maybe several options set in the game type (regarding enemy nuke counts) would be cool:
Option 1: Counters disabled. You have to manually count your nukes.
Option 2: Self Counters on. You have a number next to your score telling you how many you still have.
Option 3: Self & World Counters on. You can tell how many you have, and you can see the total number of nukes left on the world.
Option 4: Self & Enemy Counters on. A number next to each player's score tells everyone how many nukes each player still has.

Obviously, because it's an option, people still can play the way we play now, if they want to. While I understand the mystery of enemy intelligence and how "not knowing" is part of the game, sometimes I'd like to know how far away the Victory Timer is.
feanix
level0

Postby feanix » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:45 am

some things i'd like to see in the future:

- a world death toll counter
- a counter showing your kills and deaths (for example: 17.3 medakills, 4.5 megadeaths)
- waypoints for all units
- and eta on each waypoint and the final destination to help with synchronising
- the ability to scale the defcon level change rate. for example, i would love to have an uber long, drawn out game where the defcon only changes ever 24 hours. on a real time server. week long game, anyone?
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:51 am

feanix wrote: - a counter showing your kills and deaths (for example: 17.3 medakills, 4.5 megadeaths)

Already in the game. Hover the mouse just under the scores and then click the button that appears.

feanix wrote: - the ability to scale the defcon level change rate. for example, i would love to have an uber long, drawn out game where the defcon only changes ever 24 hours. on a real time server. week long game, anyone?

The longest a game can go would be a real-time game where people hold out on firing nukes. Even if they didn't, a real-time game can last about 8 hours, so you never know :)

NeoThermic
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:52 am

feanix wrote: - a counter showing your kills and deaths (for example: 17.3 medakills, 4.5 megadeaths)

Have you tried moving the cursor over the scores in the top right? The window should open up and reveal sound extra level of detail on your score.

EDIT: Too slow
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
fivre
level1
level1

Postby fivre » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:17 am

- Allow players to change the nuke explosion color. That bright white doesn't fit in well with the surrounding blue (or red, in my case.)
- An option for healthbars, preferrably by-unit. Sure, the tension of wondering whether one's nuke is going to hit Leningrad is great, but it's kind of annoying for silos and ships.
- ETA display.

Return to “Think Tank”