Suggestions For Future Patch

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

andygrunt
level0

Postby andygrunt » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:40 am

This is pretty superficial but I'd like the option to play using a 3D spherical globe (i.e. like the one in the title screen).
Freyar
level2
level2

Postby Freyar » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:47 am

The 3D Sphere would be fun to play on, but I think it wouldn't be exactly the same feeling as the opened map.
kikinchaz
level2
level2

Postby kikinchaz » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:16 pm

Add scaleable AI difficulty. It sucks when you can easily beat the AI with a couple of friends =[ Fix the windowed no type bug that ive randomly had a few times....errr annndd fix the bug where the game is still running when closed from the X on windowed mode.

Cheers :)
ChaZ
Hegemon Hog
level2
level2

Re: Suggestions For Future Patch

Postby Hegemon Hog » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:20 pm

TGM wrote:- A way to make all same ship types, or silos, in a group switch to a specific mode. So lets say a fleet of 6 subs (or silos), be able to make them all switch to Nuke Mode in one shot.

You can do this. When left-clicking the order to switch modes, hold SHIFT.

TheHappyFriar wrote:I would like it though so that if you cancel an order it resumes the previous one. I don't know how many times I'd select a group of moving subs & then click luanch to see if anything is in range, then hit spacebar & have the subs stop cold.

You can hover over the MRBM missile order to see the range without actually clicking the order.
Last edited by Hegemon Hog on Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bas
level2
level2

Postby Bas » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:21 pm

- When you fire nukes at a teammate, and they hit while you're still in the same team, your score degrades, the victim's rises. This shouldn't be so. The moment you fire a nuke at an ally, cease fire should be automatically halted. It's makes the game more simple.

- It would be nice if sea battles could be made more surveyable. Perhaps by being telling boats what to do in advance. For example, a "launch X number of fighters at enemy when in range" command.

- Get some uberleet hax to make it easier to join games. I remember reading Skype using techniques that allowed it to ignore firewalls. How about some of this for Defcon?
flatrick
level2
level2

Postby flatrick » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:59 pm

I agree with the fact that you need some kind of unit grouping...for instance, in the BigWorld scenario you get 33 units of each kind. Now try moving 99 units separately...and now imagine that you need to reroute them every 2 minutes.

See? Grouping units is needed in some cases, although it's obvious that it may not be very strategical in some usages.
I think you should maybe unable to group nuke-launches, but let grouping and moving units together be possible.
Daxx
level2
level2

Postby Daxx » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:05 pm

flatrick wrote:I agree with the fact that you need some kind of unit grouping...for instance, in the BigWorld scenario you get 33 units of each kind. Now try moving 99 units separately...and now imagine that you need to reroute them every 2 minutes.

See? Grouping units is needed in some cases, although it's obvious that it may not be very strategical in some usages.
I think you should maybe unable to group nuke-launches, but let grouping and moving units together be possible.

If you're making 99 individual units, that's your own problem. Grouping is already covered by fleet creation (and working this way is more realistic - it's supposed to be easier to give orders to predesignated fleets).
Strange game. The only winning move is not to play.
andygrunt
level0

Postby andygrunt » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:47 pm

Two more suggestions...

1 - Make shaking the mouse left and right de-select units (like in 'Black & White') i.e. same functionality as pressing the spacebar.

2 - Be able to change opacity of player names on the map as I find they often get in the way, stopping me seeing what's under them. I'm surprised it's not already an option but I can't find it - maybe someone can correct me.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:05 pm

andygrunt wrote:2 - Be able to change opacity of player names on the map as I find they often get in the way, stopping me seeing what's under them. I'm surprised it's not already an option but I can't find it - maybe someone can correct me.

Just toggle the territory view option off.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
andygrunt
level0

Postby andygrunt » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:11 pm

Montyphy wrote:Just toggle the territory view option off.

Fair point but I like having the territory displayed. I just wish the player names were about 50% transparent - not difficult to do.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:56 pm

andygrunt wrote:
Montyphy wrote:Just toggle the territory view option off.

Fair point but I like having the territory displayed. I just wish the player names were about 50% transparent - not difficult to do.

Its not hard to toggle it off and on as required. :wink:
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
flatrick
level2
level2

Postby flatrick » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:28 pm

Daxx wrote:
flatrick wrote:I agree with the fact that you need some kind of unit grouping...for instance, in the BigWorld scenario you get 33 units of each kind. Now try moving 99 units separately...and now imagine that you need to reroute them every 2 minutes.

If you're making 99 individual units, that's your own problem. Grouping is already covered by fleet creation (and working this way is more realistic - it's supposed to be easier to give orders to predesignated fleets).

I did group them...that still makes at least 17 groups to move. Try clicking 17 times from one point to another (especially if they are grouped in a tight formation) while trying to nuke with your silos + sending your scouts from every carrier.
Gynsu2000
level0

Postby Gynsu2000 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:53 pm

Browser needs improvement:
- possibility to sort by each column (name, version, players, spectators)
- possibility of filters (very important imho)!
    - populated servers
    - empty servers
    - full servers
    - spectator slots only
    - and filter for Game mode and score mode

- make the mouse well work in the server list!
- latency indicator would also be nice
ARRG
level1
level1

Postby ARRG » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:26 pm

For multiplayers game, it'd be nice to have a speed setting to set the speed on the average of all players choices.
Am I the only one who thinks more of the Eiffel Tower, the Kremlin or the Coliseum than of people when nuking cities ?

(PS: excuse my possibly-bad english ^^')
Imitation
level1
level1

Postby Imitation » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:34 pm

MrBunsy wrote:Would radiation kill you that fast though? I don't know very much about it, but I was thought that depending on what type it was it killed you slowly rather than instantly.

On that note, naval units can't realisticly sail from side to side of the map in 1 hr (I've never taken much notice how fast they are but they are at least 10x faster than RL) play time either. So some allowances have been and can be made for the sake of game play.

Return to “Think Tank”