Modding limitation questions

Discussion about Mods for Prison Architect

Moderator: NBJeff

YMS
level1
level1

Modding limitation questions

Postby YMS » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:26 pm

Hi all. I just played around with modding for the first time, I know that there are many limitations in terms of what can be done with mods, and I guess I have read pretty much all modding guides and tried quite some things now. However, I have some questions about certain limitations. Is there really no way to get around them?

1. Name of a prisoner: Can't be set, can't be read, right?
2. Needs of a prisoner: Used to be possible to get/set them before, but is not possible any more in V2.0, or am I just too stupid?
3. Reputation/traits of a prisoner: Can't get them either, right? And I cannot reveal them to the player, like CIs etc. do?
4. Tooltips: Text can be added, but existing text cannot be altered, right?
5. Manned objects (like CCTV Monitor, Door Control System): Cannot be added, right? (a job for guards could be defined in production.txt to turn object a into object b, but that does not fit in my mod idea, nor was I able to actually achieve it)
6. While it is possible to find out what a prisoner is carrying, I cannot find out what he is hiding in his cell, right?
7. Neither can I find out what he is planning to do, e.g. tunnels he is going to dig, or contraband throw-ins he arranged, right?
8. I also cannot access the names (forenames/surnames) defined in biographies.txt?
9. I have no better thing than Game.Time() to initialise math.randomseed(), do I?

Thanks for any answer. Especiallxy I'd like to receive those ones pointing me to things I missed or got wrong. :)
murgh
level2
level2

Re: Modding limitation questions

Postby murgh » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:34 pm

1) Nope
2) Too stupid :)
3) Nope
4) Just set it again? What's the problem? Also see the tooltips topic about setting them with variables inside
5) Depends on what you want to do I guess. Could create a job taking hours to complete.
6) Nope
7) Nope
8) Did I say nope yet?
9) There is also World.TimeIndex
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:26 pm

YMS wrote:9. I have no better thing than Game.Time() to initialise math.randomseed(), do I?

There is always 3.

xander
YMS
level1
level1

Postby YMS » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:35 pm

I published my "Read Mails" mod now (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =762749999), though it's doing much less than I imagined when I started playing around with the modding system. There are some things that I might extended, though. Anyway, thanks for your answers! I guess they saved me quite some time trying to figure things out which are simply not possible.
murgh
level2
level2

Postby murgh » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:10 pm

Did you try to get the name of the prisoner by checking the tooltip of the unopened mail in his cell? Perhaps it can be grabbed that way. Haven't looked at it, but this idea just came into my mind. Would be awesome if that trick works :)

Return to “Modding”