Discussion about Mods for Prison Architect

Moderator: NBJeff

officerc
level1
level1

Re: [Mod] Chad's Drink Mod

Postby officerc » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:05 pm

Something I can do manually?

I just have 7 prisoners, so that would not be a problem. But that way I don't have to build all that basic stuff and do all the research.
Chad
level3
level3

Postby Chad » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:11 pm

officerc wrote:Something I can do manually?

I just have 7 prisoners, so that would not be a problem. But that way I don't have to build all that basic stuff and do all the research.

You have to add the thirst need to every prisoner in your savegame. Be careful with the IDs (those: [i 123]). Take a look on how they increase. And make a backup before messing around ;)

good luck
officerc
level1
level1

Postby officerc » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:13 pm

Thanks for that, those savegamefiles are actually interesting. Could come in handy when I have a broken savegame file again...

But in this case all the prisoners had the thirst need already but it is not shown ingame because I started this game with your Mod. Later I deactivated it for my running game. Now I activated it again for the new version. So I guess it is nothing you can do about it. guess I should start a new game again...
Chad
level3
level3

Postby Chad » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:43 am

officerc wrote:Thanks for that, those savegamefiles are actually interesting. Could come in handy when I have a broken savegame file again...

But in this case all the prisoners had the thirst need already but it is not shown ingame because I started this game with your Mod. Later I deactivated it for my running game. Now I activated it again for the new version. So I guess it is nothing you can do about it. guess I should start a new game again...

Thanks for your feedback. I've tried that with one prisoner and he showed the thirst need after modifying the savegame. I'll check that out again, I've something in mind for that issue!
officerc
level1
level1

Postby officerc » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:18 pm

Hey Chad,

I gave it another try in a new test game and I encountered a few issues you might want to have a look at:

• The water fountains really need A LOT of cleaning. Maybe this could be balanced a bit.
  • I have prisoners that are totally thirsty but don't drink a bit. Others are drinking fine.
  • I put a water cooler in the yard but nobody was drinking there.
  • The water racks get a little misaligned if you are putting them down (looking up)

Please keep up the good work. I really like the mod and the mechanics of it. If you need a savegame or something else, just let me know.
Chad
level3
level3

Postby Chad » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:54 pm

I've refined some behaviors und fixed some bugs in the current update. Next I think about a new object to fulfill the thirst need.

Changelog:

Code: Select all

v0.4
=======================

==== Changes ====

- prisoners now don't start riots if thirsty
- vending machine now acts like the watercooler (WVM is disabled if no bottles)
- puddles now combine to bigger puddles if near enough

==== Fixes ====

- now Alpha29 compatible
- fixed some crash bugs
muahaa_the_french
level1
level1

Postby muahaa_the_french » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:07 am

I get crashes using the water vending machine .. if I manage to look at it in the error reporting window that shows up, it's something about a nil value for entity/value/I forget "thePrisoner" in the relevant lua script. Other times, it locks up entirely.

If the cold room is to be really useful, maybe it should store boxes of small water bottles as well, and maybe create a custom shelving item that can store many stacks of ingredients. It'd be cool to see workers move ingredients off the truck into deliveries and then to cold storage, where they could be picked up by chefs.

I also think that it would be nice to find a way for janitors to use their default swarming behavior, or at least respond to multiple spills at once, as they do when clean up mud and blood and shower grime -- it's really strange to watch three or four janitors running back or forth to clean individual puddles.

I like the idea of the service mechanic. I actually think it would be cool to add the servicing job to workshop machines, x-rays, etc. and have the engineer be a permanent member of staff, perhaps as expensive as a doctor and who takes some time between each job. (Maybe instead of a workman installing advanced devices like cameras, surveillance / control equipment, remote doors and servos, this fellow could do the job.) I realize that would essentially be a different mod, just speculating.
Chad
level3
level3

Postby Chad » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:49 am

Thanks for your feedback!

muahaa_the_french wrote:I get crashes using the water vending machine .. if I manage to look at it in the error reporting window that shows up, it's something about a nil value for entity/value/I forget "thePrisoner" in the relevant lua script. Other times, it locks up entirely.

I'll check that. I think the same counts for the water cooler (as they share essential code parts).
muahaa_the_french wrote:If the cold room is to be really useful, maybe it should store boxes of small water bottles as well, and maybe create a custom shelving item that can store many stacks of ingredients. It'd be cool to see workers move ingredients off the truck into deliveries and then to cold storage, where they could be picked up by chefs.

The idea is: every item has its pros and cons. The for water cooler you can store water bottles in the cooling room (research, service mechanic, etc.), the water vending machine doesn't use that, because then it would be more attractive ;)
Actually they sore the ingredients in the cold storage. Then they can be moved to the fridges for use.
muahaa_the_french wrote:I also think that it would be nice to find a way for janitors to use their default swarming behavior, or at least respond to multiple spills at once, as they do when clean up mud and blood and shower grime -- it's really strange to watch three or four janitors running back or forth to clean individual puddles.

I haven't figured out how to add those dirt/blood/mud to tiles. As puddles are actually objects, every item needs to call an individual job. Unfortunately its not the best solution :( But I could lead to more complex interactions, like slippy floor.
muahaa_the_french wrote:I like the idea of the service mechanic. I actually think it would be cool to add the servicing job to workshop machines, x-rays, etc. and have the engineer be a permanent member of staff, perhaps as expensive as a doctor and who takes some time between each job. (Maybe instead of a workman installing advanced devices like cameras, surveillance / control equipment, remote doors and servos, this fellow could do the job.) I realize that would essentially be a different mod, just speculating.

Sounds like a good idea, but actually could be realized with workmen instead of an new entity. For me I wanted to make something unique and something more "player interactive" (don't forget to call the service mechanic, really, its an bad idea!)
officerc
level1
level1

Postby officerc » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:30 am

How is the service mechanic called? I couldn't figure that out ?! :?: :?: Thought he will come automatically after some time...
Chad
level3
level3

Postby Chad » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:46 pm

officerc wrote:How is the service mechanic called? I couldn't figure that out ?! :?: :?: Thought he will come automatically after some time...

He's called through the Emergencies menu like fire engines or riot police.
There is no way that he comes automatically (it actually is possible, but there is no way to consume funds for this service).
rsdworker
level3
level3

Postby rsdworker » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:04 pm

Chad wrote:
officerc wrote:How is the service mechanic called? I couldn't figure that out ?! :?: :?: Thought he will come automatically after some time...

There is no way that he comes automatically (it actually is possible, but there is no way to consume funds for this service).

if its on delivery bus then its automaticlly taken from funds like foods and stock which goes in truck
Chad
level3
level3

Postby Chad » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:55 pm

rsdworker wrote:
Chad wrote:

if its on delivery bus then its automaticlly taken from funds like foods and stock which goes in truck

But staff or entities can't be bought ;)
muahaa_the_french
level1
level1

Postby muahaa_the_french » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:56 pm

possible workaround:

- create an object with on/off buttons (like the power lever, or the wheel that controls pipes) that toggles auto call for service when needed

- automatically deduct the price of auto-calling the service mechanic from the current prison budget balance whenever auto call is triggered. you could do this independently, i.e. without using the system in place for hiring or firing staff members. there'd be no in-engine recognition that the prison was being charged for the callout, but there would be no difference for the end user.

- set the object to require micromanagement.

for the sprite, why not use a scheduling chalkboard?

muahaa_the_french
level1
level1

Postby muahaa_the_french » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:08 pm

(I think a way to do this automatically is needed, because there's no gameplay value in trying to remember to click a callout every so often. It is mostly just irritating after a while.)
Chad
level3
level3

Postby Chad » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:43 pm

muahaa_the_french wrote:(I think a way to do this automatically is needed, because there's no gameplay value in trying to remember to click a callout every so often. It is mostly just irritating after a while.)

In this case, I could just remove the service, another automatic system is boring. It's something unique and I like it.

Return to “Modding”