Modding Materials - Materials (Tileset)

Discussion about Mods for Prison Architect

Moderator: NBJeff

jordyarm
level0

Modding Materials - Materials (Tileset)

Postby jordyarm » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:13 am

When creating a new mod for objects you'd create a blank "sprite.png", but if you were creating a mod for materials then you'd have to copy the "tileset.png" from the base game and use the limited 'spare' tiles available.

There are several issues arising from this:

- Introversion utilising spare tiles, that have been used by mods, causes a conflict for modders to resolve
- The game allows mods to take priority over the "tileset.png" distributed with the game putting the onus on modders to update their tilesets, at every update, to ensure any fixes are available to their subscribers
- Multiple mods utilising the same spare tiles will conflict

What can we expect from Introversion to address these conflicts/issues in the future? and are there any workarounds to minimise the chances of such occurrences?
HookerHeels
level1
level1

Re: Modding Materials - Materials (Tileset)

Postby HookerHeels » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:18 am

Been wondering myself. They pissed me off when they added multiple sprites support, but nothing for materials. Look at my CURB mod. All objects, because there just isn't enough spare material spaces. I'm hoping in A27, we get this fixed.
nekjjw
level1
level1

Postby nekjjw » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:41 pm

I used 150ish spare tiles for my Deployment Lines mod and merged in the Road Materials mod - there aren't many spare spaces left!

I haven't tested it yet but it may well be possible to use a larger tileset.png (beyond 2048/2048) for compatibility between groups of mods where all the tiletsets are merged together. However, this still doesn't address compatibility/conflict as a whole for every mod out there.

Really need more support/development in this area...
Last edited by nekjjw on Thu May 21, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HookerHeels
level1
level1

Postby HookerHeels » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:15 am

Sadly, larger tileset.pngs arnt possible. Nor are sprites.PNG that are larger than 1024x1024. Any larger and all objects show as black. Yes, more support is STRONGLY needed in the
ways of sprites and tilesets.

Return to “Modding”