[QUESTION] Sub-Forums

Discussion about Mods for Prison Architect

Moderator: NBJeff

Pruvan
level2
level2

[QUESTION] Sub-Forums

Postby Pruvan » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:09 am

This modding forum is getting pretty messy, pretty fast. Could we get some sub-forums for Releases, WIPs, Requests and Questions added? This is usually the way most modding forums have their topics divided, and would help make this place look a tad more orderly.
koshensky
level3
level3

Re: Sub-Forums

Postby koshensky » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:29 pm

I agree that it's going to get a bit messy in here, although I imagine it would be fairly arbitrary to determine when a mod was actually "done" at this stage as everybody is just releasing their first attempts and then continuing to improve on them. More forums will just add more confusion as to where the boundaries lie. Where does a WIP with a heavy how-to section belong?

If anything we just need a couple of stickies that answer the majority of people's questions, a how-to do the basics (once we've worked out the best and most efficient ways of making mods) and a requests thread. We're lucky we're not still talking about modding in the development forum - that would have gotten confusing.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:54 pm

First off, koshensky! Where've you been?!

koshensky wrote:If anything we just need a couple of stickies that answer the majority of people's questions, a how-to do the basics (once we've worked out the best and most efficient ways of making mods)...

Or we could try to keep the wiki up-to-date. The forums (I think) are not meant to be the be-all and end-all of Prison Architect information. The Steam workshop is a decent place to publish mods (though it does restrict publication to those with the Steam version, but that is free with the retail version, so not a big deal), and the wiki is a good place for answering common questions. More esoteric questions and discussions can easily be had on the forums.

xander
koshensky
level3
level3

Postby koshensky » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:06 pm

xander wrote:First off, koshensky! Where've you been?!

Aha, I've been kicking around in the background. Just finished my masters so now I've got time to come back, just in time for the latest alpha :D

Or we could try to keep the wiki up-to-date. The forums (I think) are not meant to be the be-all and end-all of Prison Architect information. The Steam workshop is a decent place to publish mods (though it does restrict publication to those with the Steam version, but that is free with the retail version, so not a big deal), and the wiki is a good place for answering common questions. More esoteric questions and discussions can easily be had on the forums.

That's fair, although I think things like that there other topic I just done made allow us to more easily keep the wiki updated without getting lost in the abyss.

Steam Workshop are brilliant to publish things on, but to find them that way would be crazy. There are currently over 5000 entries, that's far too many to be reasonably managed, even with a rating system, that's why people need "100 best mods in Prison Architect" articles otherwise everything just falls through the cracks and nobody sees it.

Largely I'm just agreeing with you though, so... good job... :P
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:13 pm

koshensky wrote:Aha, I've been kicking around in the background. Just finished my masters so now I've got time to come back, just in time for the latest alpha :D

Congrats! What was your topic, if I may ask?

koshensky wrote:Steam Workshop are brilliant to publish things on, but to find them that way would be crazy. There are currently over 5000 entries, that's far too many to be reasonably managed, even with a rating system, that's why people need "100 best mods in Prison Architect" articles otherwise everything just falls through the cracks and nobody sees it.

Yeah, keeping things organized is a PITA. Perhaps we should endeavor to create a "Top Mods" wiki page?

xander

Return to “Modding”