[Idea]

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

[Idea]

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:57 pm

You know what would be neat? To have a PlayBook Mod. Ever Play Tecmo SuperBowl? Start up a 1v1, see the territories, go to your mod folder and pick the setup you're playing. I started to do a pdf version of this years ago, but a mod might be better.

For example, EU vs RU:

Over in the N. Atlantic you could have a bunch in relative info like; how long it takes to get into the Indian (from both territories) and the aproximate game time. You could have the cities marked (or rather the area they are in) with "subs" or "bombers" as the caption to help you divide up the territory. Different positions and attack angles could be pre-marked. This is done in most high level matches anyway with the WB. The best part is, you might be able to see exactly how an enemy is coming at you once you make contact.

On other thing that could be helpful... Somwhere in the city name, place a number indicating how many nukes it takes to zero it out (default). In really intense games, I would open up a spreadsheet and do a quick list of the most common populations and have it show exactly how many nuke hits it would take to get 0.0, 0.1, 0.2. [mostly against (MOR)]. This made bomber runs much more effective (silos too). :P

(MOR)
level5
level5

Postby (MOR) » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:20 pm

The idea is good, but that make the game easy and all play the same style because of the "copy paste"

It's like you make the others playing with a pre-plan and no one have to think much, but just to follow..

I watched some games last days and I found so much Hyperion, Feud, Hi there, PnL, Ace Rimmer... The style is the same, techniques are the same, just the players aren't the same

Better we need a copy right than a free for all :P :P
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:24 pm

Perhaps, but idealy, everybody could contribute their own methods so you have two or three (or more) different tactics you could copy/paste. :P

Also, the games been out for the better part of a decade now, so not much room to invent new ways of 1v1. :wink: :P :mrgreen:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
(MOR)
level5
level5

Postby (MOR) » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:29 pm

Ok ok, you will never change :P
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:36 am

You might like this game Ace:

http://positech.co.uk/gratuitousspacebattles/

The gameplay is similar to what you describe in your original post
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:10 am

I've actually had the demo of that game for a long time now. I thought it would be a fun game, but after a couple of attempts at playing it, I discovered it didn't have enough depth. Plus, the ships and weapons are too silly for me. I did enjoy the planning part a bunch, but it didn't keep the fun during actual battles (i.e., too easy to win).
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:28 pm

I think it would be cool for an (imaginary) visual refresh of Defcon. When your fleet reaches some position in some formation in some game mode some information comes up. Mainly technobabble (attack vector, loss projections) mixed with some actual tactics and historic info (defcon gameplay and cold war). Kinda like the lobby screen and in the visual style of that strategic chart Ace posted.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:37 pm

That would be possible with a bot. Awesome idea though.

Return to “Mod Projects”