Instant launching?

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

BMN
level2
level2

Instant launching?

Postby BMN » Tue May 29, 2012 8:59 pm

I read somewhere on the forum about some kind of mod or alteration that would allow one to launch all nukes at the same time without cooldown in between nukes. How can I get it? or where can I find enough information to replicate it myself?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue May 29, 2012 10:49 pm

That is not possible with regular mods, you need modified binaries, and don't even think about using those in online matches, you'll just desync.

(Minicom lets you adjust all timers via mods, I don't know whether you can get them down to 0, though. One second between launches should be quite enough, though.)
BMN
level2
level2

Postby BMN » Wed May 30, 2012 1:30 am

Good enough for me! so which file would I have to modify? (it would make my life easier if someone just told me where exactly the change is necessary).
But thank you very much, Ô wise Bert!
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed May 30, 2012 6:28 am

That would be data/worldoptions.txt. You just need to include a file in your mod with your changes. You want those:

Code: Select all

SiloICBMPrepareTime 1
SiloICBMReloadTime 1
BomberSRBMPrepareTime 1
SubMRBMPrepareTime 1
SubMRBMReloadTime 1

(Or 0 if that doesn't crash)
BMN
level2
level2

Postby BMN » Wed May 30, 2012 6:54 pm

0 works for all of them except for subs reload time. the prepare time is always what I set it to ( zero works) but then it always takes the normal amount of time to launch the second - fifth nukes. How can I fix this?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed May 30, 2012 9:50 pm

Well, leave the reload times at 1, then. That worked for me. 0 may be taken as 'use the default value'.
BMN
level2
level2

Postby BMN » Wed May 30, 2012 9:54 pm

I mean, it doesn't matter what I set the reload timer to, 0, 1, 2, etc. They don't work ( I tried them)
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:47 am

Odd. Can you send me your zipped mod?
SpitJock
level1
level1

Postby SpitJock » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:41 pm

May I add my own alternate solution to the mix?

Using minicom and modding timers works well if you're happy enough to accept that all players (including CPU) have the same rapid launch capability. If on the other hand, what you want is to re-stack the deck in your favour (some call it cheating - I like to think of it as "playing with the game engine" rather than "playing the game") You can use Cheat Engine (avail here: http://www.cheatengine.org/ ) to hack only your own timers. This will definitely NOT work for online play (as far as I can tell, though tbh I've never tried) but will allow you to beat the CPU in a 1v5 setup if you're trying to take out your frustrations... ;)

If you understand how programs work, RTFM and play around, you'll figure out how to change all sorts of parameters (timers, nukes and planes available, etc.) Bear in mind that the game may crash, lag, or go buggy if you hack it around, but CheatEngine won't damage the installation of Defcon or Minicom unless you find some feature I never have....

If you want it, I can give rough and ready tutorials on how to do this. Either here in the thread, or in PM if such talk is not welcome on the public forum. I'm not on every day though, so patience will be needed.... If anyone's interested, I found the cheat techniques quite useful in playtesting my (still unfinished) mod.

SpitJock
BMN
level2
level2

Postby BMN » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:11 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:Odd. Can you send me your zipped mod?

I haven't figured out how to turn it into a zip file, in the meantime...
The mod is based on your minicom "core" mod, with everything removed from the worldoptions.txt. the mod.txt was changed so the name would be differentt and screenshot was left alone. Then I copied your code into the worldoptions.txt just as it appears in the above post. Then I played around with it, testing it every time.
right now the only modification to normal minicom is this code:

Code: Select all

SiloICBMPrepareTime 0
SiloICBMReloadTime 0
BomberSRBMPrepareTime 0
SubMRBMPrepareTime 0
SubMRBMReloadTime 2

silos prepare time is 0, reload time between nukes is 0, yet the subs prepare time is 0 but reload time between nukes always default (120)
BMN
level2
level2

Postby BMN » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:25 am

now it works... sub reload time fixed... on a computer that isn't mine... -_-

It doesn't work on only MY computer... bad luck?

Return to “Mod Projects”