Map Mods

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Experiment632
level2
level2

Map Mods

Postby Experiment632 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:51 am

I am working on several new maps which can be used to create new scenarios, including alternate endings to various conflicts that occurred (or could have) in real life. Here is a list of some of the maps I am working on and will post when ready:

1: Cuban Missile War -- Soviet Union is aligned with Cuba.
2: 1967 Six Day War -- Soviet Union is aligned with Arab states while United States is aligned with Israel.
3: 1988 Crisis in Berlin -- NATO versus Warsaw Pact.
4: 1999 Kosovo War -- Russia is aligned with Serbia. United States is aligned with Germany and Albania.
5: 2003 Iraq War -- Russia and France are aligned with Iraq.
6: China-Taiwan Crisis -- United States is aligned with Taiwan.
7: 2011 Second Korean War -- China is aligned with North Korea. United States is aligned with South Korea.
8: 2011 Pakistan War -- China is aligned with Pakistan, United States is aligned with India.

Feel free to add any other map ideas. Also does anyone know how to split Berlin into West Berlin and East Berlin? That is like the only thing keeping me from successfully completing the Cold War configuration.
Lok1nho
level0

Postby Lok1nho » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:11 pm

What about Iron Curtain? USSR with its satellites: CSSR, Poland, Ukraine, Baltish countries etc.
Experiment632
level2
level2

Postby Experiment632 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:48 pm

Lok1nho wrote:What about Iron Curtain? USSR with its satellites: CSSR, Poland, Ukraine, Baltish countries etc.
I am almost done. The only snag I hit was the issue with Berlin however I am guessing that that is a problem with no solution, so I will just have it marked as totally Soviet. The Soviet faction includes: USSR, Warsaw Pact, and Cuba.

Also I found two Cold War mods with Warsaw Pact.

Counterstrike: http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon ... nterstrike

1961: http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon ... php?t=6741
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:55 pm

Experiment632 wrote:
Lok1nho wrote:What about Iron Curtain? USSR with its satellites: CSSR, Poland, Ukraine, Baltish countries etc.
I am almost done. The only snag I hit was the issue with Berlin however I am guessing that that is a problem with no solution, so I will just have it marked as totally Soviet.

Just out of curiosity, what is the problem that prevents Germany from being divided (assuming that's the issue)?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Experiment632
level2
level2

Postby Experiment632 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:58 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:Just out of curiosity, what is the problem that prevents Germany from being divided (assuming that's the issue)?
Actually I have no problem in dividing Germany as a country, especially since the game places the border between W. and E. Germany. My problem was trying to find a way to divide West & East Berlin. So far any attempt to divide the city between the west and east only results in Berlin not being on the map at all.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:13 pm

There is a very easy solution:

You've seen how cities can be nearly on top of one another, simply alter the cites.dat file to REMOVE Berlin and add East Berlin and West Berlin as seperate cities. You'll have to have their map coordinates slightly different of course, but this should work just fine.

Edit: Obivously, you'd need to put each new city (E. Berlin, W. Berlin) in the proper territory. A side effect of having them on the map would be you would have to be very very careful when nuking the enemy city or risk collateral. :P (offset nuke targeting)
Experiment632
level2
level2

Postby Experiment632 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:17 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:There is a very easy solution:

You've seen how cities can be nearly on top of one another, simply alter the cites.(txt?) file to REMOVE Berlin and add East Berlin and West Berlin as seperate cities. You'll have to have their map coordinates slightly different of course, but this should work just fine.
Hmm... never thought about that one. I better make sure I have the original file back up in case something goes wrong. I have never edited a city before let alone added a new city.

Since you seem to be an expert on maps, perhaps you could help me out with another problem. I tried to add Hawaii to the North America faction: I very carefully adjusted northamerica.bmp, coastlines.bmp, sailable.bmp, and map.bmp. However when i attempted to start the game, it immediately stopped me indicating a fatal error. Even when I totally reversed all the changes, it still gave me the same error message. I ended up having to uninstall and re-install the game.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:27 pm

Do you remember the error message? It's been a very long time since I modded Defcon, however this sounds like...

Montyphy wrote:Node Mismatch - You need to check your travel_nodes file. Chances are you accidently placed a node in an area defined as land in sailable.bmp.

If it wasn't that, I could have been a problem with one of the image files. Defcon is very particular.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:46 pm

Experiment632 wrote:
Ace Rimmer wrote:There is a very easy solution:

You've seen how cities can be nearly on top of one another, simply alter the cites.(txt?) file to REMOVE Berlin and add East Berlin and West Berlin as seperate cities. You'll have to have their map coordinates slightly different of course, but this should work just fine.
Hmm... never thought about that one. I better make sure I have the original file back up in case something goes wrong. I have never edited a city before let alone added a new city.

Soooo, did you get Berlin split?
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:27 pm

Got them on the map, but backwards (well, wrong territories). Defcon maps are very finicky.

:P :P
Experiment632
level2
level2

Postby Experiment632 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:34 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:Image

Got them on the map, but backwards (well, wrong territories). Defcon maps are very finicky.

:P :P
Ah, well that is easily solved. Simply switch city names but leave coordinates as they are. Too bad there don't seem to be a way to have one city name listed below the city to prevent title overlapping but oh well.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:57 pm

Yay! You wouldn't believe what trouble one little pixel can cause.

Code: Select all

East Berlin                              German Democratic Republic               13.516700     52.433298     1879225       1
West Berlin                              Germany                                  13.050700     52.151298     1879225       1

Edit: You may or may not have to remove some cities for East Berlin to show up. Not sure how Defcon decides which ones get placed on the map.
Edit2: It is possible to nuke the enemy Berlin without collateral, but you must be very careful. (I tried it).
Edit3: For the Falkland Islands and Hawaii, the best way to get them on the map would be to put a block of pixels for the territory (no fading) where cities could be, then use the city placer to work out where they should be, then remove extra land pixels.

Note: You can place land units even if only one pixel of color is used for land.
Experiment632
level2
level2

Postby Experiment632 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:16 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:Edit3: For the Falkland Islands and Hawaii, the best way to get them on the map would be to put a block of pixels for the territory (no fading) where cities could be, then use the city placer to work out where they should be, then remove extra land pixels.

Note: You can place land units even if only one pixel of color is used for land.

Hmm... I did mark Hawaii and Falkland Islands with unfaded white and yet for some reason, it still conciders it water: no buildings can be placed.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:17 pm

You forgot to mark the Sailable as land.
Experiment632
level2
level2

Postby Experiment632 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Ah, but when I marked sailable as land, that's when the crash occured. Even reversing all changes didn't get rid of the problem so I had to uninstall and reinstall the game. Good thing I kept my authentication code.

Return to “Mod Projects”