Caprica Mod v1.2

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Unionjackson
level0

Caprica Mod v1.2

Postby Unionjackson » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:12 pm

Hey! First attempt at modding, tried to create a Caprica-based mod from the 2003 Battlestar Galactica series using graphics and terminology from the show. Cities are named after characters from the show :)

All credit for the Caprica Map used goes to SixU: http://sixu.deviantart.com/art/Caprica- ... -132716294

I suck at working out the travel_node stuff, so you can move your ships around a fair bit, but you'll have to navigate corners and such yourself, unless someone can fix it up nicely or I get round to learning it properly.

Here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/?7378ks5u634d4al

Any feedback/thoughts would be great :)

Thanks!
Unionjackson
level0

Screenshots

Postby Unionjackson » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:20 am

Thought i'd post a few screenshots to show you what it's all about :) sorry if they're huge!

A look at the layout.

Some of the units.

When the nukes start flying.

The bigger picture.

trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:30 pm

The map looks quiet good, even thought I still can recognize its actually an earth map (specially Africa is very obvious).
The missing travel notes sucks and there too few cities per territory. Any chance you can name at least 25 city per territory, so if somebody wants to fix the map, he would not need to dive into the Battlestar franchise?

sorry if they're huge!

You suck, saying sorry in advanced and then doing whatever shit you don't wanna care about! Stubborn!

Look! Thats all screen I have:
Unionjackson
level0

Postby Unionjackson » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:02 am

First off, the designer of this map used whatever glimpes of Caprica were seen during the show's run, and drew his own assumptions on how these continents were actually sculpted. He himself commented on how interesting it was that they almost mirrored Earth's own continents. He then used NASA images of Earth to estimate the terrain for each region. During BSG's tv-movie The Plan, Europe can clearly be seen on "Caprica", but the map designer felt this was a pretty ghastly feature and ommited it.

Also, i've played many mods with blank travel-nodes and having ships that can't move at all seems to take some of the fun out of it, whereas mine is simply a little bit twitchy. As i said, if i have time, i'll try and get the travel-nodes fixed up, unless you feel like you could fix it yourself.

And adding more cities is just a matter of having the free time to do it, anyone is welcome to it.

Please don't take my "i'm pretty busy doing other things and this was only my first try" attitude as being "stubborn", but i'm new at this and thought the fun nature of the mod would outweigh all the little bugs that come with first attempts. Saying I suck because I apologised for being shit at posting in forums though? Cheers.
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:18 am

My apologies, my tone was wrong, and its not my usual style.

Let me try again.

I like the mod because the map looks interesting to play. (I can see earth map as origin, but aside from having fun recognizing this, I dont care about). I dont care about unit icons and yours make no exception, but thats only because I think about how this map would play, and use my standard icons anyway.

But without travel-notes the CPU-Player wont move anything, boring. But I now how troublesome it is to make those notes. I see, I misunderstood you here, as there are some travel-notes.
Without 20-25 cites per territory its to easy to level everything to zero, boring. I could and probably would add cites in 15min, but I dont know Battlestar enough to come up with 300 names for cities. And using non-Battlestar names would defeat the whole Idea of a Caprica mod.

And about you sucking: Your Screenshots! Why they have to be so fucking huge. I have to scroll up-down, left-right for every one, only be able to look at them in 4 slices, composing the whole picture in my head. But even worse, I have to side scroll for every fucking sentence written. On top of this you already knew(!) this could cause problems for some people. You said sorry, but that doesnt help me at all. (contradictory: it angered me the most)

You are not the only one who does this, so you got my collected anger about it, but somebody has to get it.
Also why should I look at your mod if its causing pain for me?

Return to “Mod Projects”