Defcon Modern Warfare (yeah, sue me)

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Synapse
level2
level2

Postby Synapse » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:37 pm

Thanks for the input Mike, you seem to know a lot about international affairs (I must admit I am not an expert). If you want to look through my mod so far and tell me about other inaccuracies it would be greatly appreciated. To an extent I can't make the global picture completely realistic but I would like to try as much as possible. I was under the impression that thousands of Islamic jihadi fighters still choose Chechnya as their battleground from all over the world. As far as I am aware, it is Not Safe and it is Not Under Control.
nuclear cocaine
level4
level4

Postby nuclear cocaine » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:22 am

Awsome mod I had to open defcon in my winrar and replace the entire data folder with yours and it works rite over the existing game . However now without canada I cannot defend north sea or northern silos and people without the mod can .
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:34 am

Synapse
It's somewhat safe there, all what was left from islamic fighters moved to a nearby region of Degestan but it's still not like it was in "good old" days (1990s). The number of fighters in Chechnya is estimated 400-500 by Russian federal ministry of internal affairs and ~200 by Chechen administration. International sources don't give exact numbers.

Here's a Wikipedia map to show how tiny Chechnya (red) and Dagestan (right to the east) are. map

Also, I'm not an expert :P
Synapse
level2
level2

Postby Synapse » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:35 am

nuclear cocaine wrote:Awsome mod I had to open defcon in my winrar and replace the entire data folder with yours and it works rite over the existing game . However now without canada I cannot defend north sea or northern silos and people without the mod can .

You should be able to just put the 'DMW' folder into defcon\mods and run it that way.
Synapse
level2
level2

Postby Synapse » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:36 am

rus|Mike wrote:Synapse
It's somewhat safe there, all what was left from islamic fighters moved to a nearby region of Degestan but it's still not like it was in "good old" days (1990s). The number of fighters in Chechnya is estimated 400-500 by Russian federal ministry of internal affairs and ~200 by Chechen administration. International sources don't give exact numbers.

Here's a Wikipedia map to show how tiny Chechnya (red) and Dagestan (right to the east) are. map

Also, I'm not an expert :P

Ok, my bad, I will replace Russian Caucasius for next version release. I am contemplating making Ukraine neutral though.
Synapse
level2
level2

Postby Synapse » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:23 pm

What I am currently working on for v1:

Fixing factions as according to player input
New building icons (dont like BETA ones)
Additional GUI and theme modification
Sounds (struggling with at the moment.)

I am upgrading the map so far by using satellite imagery overlayed onto the blur.bmp which I have scaled up to 1024. By desaturating satellite imagery and placing it over blur.bmp I've found it creates a subtle but sweet looking effect of mountains, desert etc:

In particular I am having trouble deciphering how defcon uses it's sounds. I know what I want which is basically a menuscreen track and a game track, and I've already got tracks working in defcon, but sometimes it plays them quietly other times loudly, and I have no idea how it layers sounds, so if anyone can help with this it would be really appreciated.
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:31 pm

its all done via sound.txt, i dont know the actual options, but thinks like pitching down, raising volume can be influenced here. The more death population a game has, the more sounds will be pitched down, played louder and so on.
nuclear cocaine
level4
level4

Postby nuclear cocaine » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:47 pm

Ive played it several times and I have some input . I loooove the Arabic nation by the way ! also can you make fleet placing territory north of Alaska ? and make more than 6 starting continents to start with and the players choose from 6? because theirs canada's America Australia and northern Africa that don't have start positions on the game . other than that the look feel and overall game play are excellent , I hope you don't mind I replaced the graphics folder permanently using everything but the nukes since the bmp isn't there yet so I can use the new ships and fighters , oh I cant tell if the carriers have it set for bombers or fighters and cant tell if the bombers have dropped their payload , also I cant tell if their loaded or not when in fighter base . I hope this helps . THE MOD IS AWSOME!
Synapse
level2
level2

Postby Synapse » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:15 am

GUI preview
Synapse
level2
level2

Postby Synapse » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:52 am

Synapse
level2
level2

Postby Synapse » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:31 am

-======================-
Version 1 is here
-======================-

Here is version 1 of Defcon: Modern Warfare. It's far from perfect but I am continuing making improvements all the time. Thanks to everyone who has and continues to post in this thread with encouragement and criticism. I wanted to make a good modern Defcon and I think this is a good homage to that. So enjoy and give me feedback for version 2 :)

http://hotfile.com/dl/84119052/769d2c2/DMW.zip.html

Admiral Yoshi
level3
level3

Postby Admiral Yoshi » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:33 am

I wonder...why do you use the Stalin Organs as ICBM launchers?
Synapse
level2
level2

Postby Synapse » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:10 pm

Admiral Yoshi wrote:I wonder...why do you use the Stalin Organs as ICBM launchers?

Until now, I hadn't heard of stalin organs. They are just supposed to be generic mobile SAM launcher vehicles.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:15 pm

I really like the gui, except for the Comms, Territory, and Whiteboard.

Comms: Email for global thermonuclear war? It doesn't really fit. Should be a smart phone or ipad or other modern device.
Territory: A very simplistic flag doesn't fit well with the other detial icons (e.g. Alliances). Why not a mini world map, or globe even?
Whiteboard: It fits visually, but there's something not quite 'right' about it. For example, it's widescreen, which is modern, but still seems like the dimensions are not right. Legs are too tall or something.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
nuclear cocaine
level4
level4

Postby nuclear cocaine » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:52 pm

I love the North American Alaskan navy birth ! I think the mod is incomplete south America and australia should be added into the game ......Cant you make 8 territories that only 6 can be chosen?

Return to “Mod Projects”