Defcon Modern Warfare (yeah, sue me)

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Bgieer
level1
level1

Postby Bgieer » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:15 pm

Thanks my friend!!Great!
Last update of this?Will be version 6.0??
david@djlprinting.com
level1
level1

Hi

Postby david@djlprinting.com » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:41 pm

How do I download this wod? Can I play as all sides?
TOM BUSCH-US
level2
level2

Re: Defcon Modern Warfare (yeah, sue me)

Postby TOM BUSCH-US » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:48 am

Synapse wrote:I'm working on a mod that takes defcon out of the cold war and firmly into the current international climate. I understand that there are similar mods out there but I am working on something that stylistically brings the player into modern times by ditching all the retro elements of the game.

I am going with the tagline of something along the lines of Defcon who said war was fair? I think this reflects my sentiment well as the makers of realistic mods such as insurgency who were slammed by critics for making an unfair game but carried on anyway and created a great product for the sake of it.

I am currently working on:

Factions, the factions are the USA and Israel, the Middle East, China & North Korea, Russia and The European Union so far. I'm not sure what to do with the final faction yet. But the basics are:
-The US can place one facility in israel which will obviously be radar this reflects the strategic advantage point of israel.
- There is a lot more empty space (SA, most of Africa, eastern europe, india) which reflects a lot more neutral countries and expect to have conventional warfare over more grey territories.
- Russia loses access to some territories reflecting it's demise (areas like Chechnya are clearly not under USSR control any more)
- The Middle East faction incorporates Islamic nations that are seen to oppose western ideals (Saudi, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq, Syria etc) From quick game trials it is one of the strongest factions at present.
- China gets access to North but not south korea. Japan remains neutral.
- A new map reflecting earth curvature
- The USA now doesnt incorporate canada.
The European Union will not include all EU countries only those with active military histories (GB, France, Germany, Sweden, Italy etc)

I am also working on:
New units keeping a simplistic approach but modernising the entire affair. No more migs and b2 bombers I have replaced the bomber with a tu-95 model and also the fighters. I have changed the 'blur' bmps using contrast tool to create a mirage type image which is a lot more obscure and in the heat of battle could confuse you (to reflect the panic of losing radar sight of an object)
New interface and GUI themed on middle eastern fonts. Totally updated 'facts' no more cold war nuclear radiation facts it is all replaced with facts about Iraq, Russia-Georgia conflict, Palestine-Israel conflict etc. I will include a font for each faction (a bold military one for the US, arabic script font for the middle east, etc to allow players to customise their game)
New soundtrack based off the Black Hawk Down 'Hunger' track. (once again, sue me)

I have done several trials with CPU based on purely the territories so far with some interesting results. The USA is very strong as the pacific is larger on my map and there is no SA. But the middle east has been ranking a close second and I guess that players would form alliances to take down the US. Europe is as on defcon pretty weak but I Have moved the sea spawning locations to remove Russias quick strike ability on Europe with subs.
Now All naval spawn points are based around docks there isnt a huge wave of sea that you can spawn in but several smaller bubbles reflecting ports.

Screenshots will be coming shortly however if you want to help out in anyway (any skill is useful, even getting facts off wikipedia relating to the iraq war) the manpower would be useful.

I am available to contact at synapsethereturn@hotmail.co.uk
If you want to get realistic does the US get to keep it's global web of allies? It's several hundred global military bases? It's global Blue water Navy that is larger then the next 12 combined which includes the navies of Russia and China with 13 Super carriers compared to China's one? Just curious. What about the Sunni gulf states that prefer the US as allies and fear Iran? China is surrounded by forward bases and allies of the US while they have no real forward bases near the US unless you count possibly Cuba or Venezuala which would be quickly dispatched if war came! What about the 20 year average in technological differences between the US and China, like Stealth technology etc...
Bgieer
level1
level1

Postby Bgieer » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:01 pm

Exper,Will be update?
mvm900
level0

Postby mvm900 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:26 pm

If you want to get realistic does the US get to keep it's global web of allies? It's several hundred global military bases? It's global Blue water Navy that is larger then the next 12 combined which includes the navies of Russia and China with 13 Super carriers compared to China's one? Just curious. What about the Sunni gulf states that prefer the US as allies and fear Iran? China is surrounded by forward bases and allies of the US while they have no real forward bases near the US unless you count possibly Cuba or Venezuala which would be quickly dispatched if war came! What about the 20 year average in technological differences between the US and China, like Stealth technology etc...

Yeah... No. The US has military bases... In which most are just meant for security. They aren't armed for war. They aren't ready for war at all. The best they can do is stop armed civilians. And I can't believe people fall for the whole 'US navy is biggar dan erywar else'. Since that's completely wrong /and/ useless since some countries are even landlocked and can't be accessed by toy boats. And supercarriers? Really? Oh boy. I can carry more airplanes out to die! They are just big carriers, man. Not armed to fight. It's just a mobile airbase. China is /not/ surrounded by forward bases either. As they kicked our asses out of North Korea, for example. And you talk about their bases being dispatched...? What about ours? Are ours all of a sudden invincible? And '20 year average in technological differences'... Yeah. That's also wrong. You see. There's a thing called 'Globalization'. It's the sharing of knowledge through everyday things like the phone and internet. Any supposed 'technological difference' can quickly be ironed out by a google search, even. And even if you want to go as far to say 'erythang on the internet isn't true. It doesn't have to be. Let's take Wikipedia, for example. Anyone can change some pages. They can change it back, for one. And you don't need all the info. Just a small amount to get what they need. Also, the Taiwan army, also called the Republic of China army, currently has 290,000 soldiers. That's not too much... But they also have another 5 million ready to fight. Not to mention the PLA's army, which is actually China. Which has a little over 4 million troops, 1 and a half million of which serve the paramilitary. Not to mention the 300 million that are able to join the army. China has the most active personnel in the world. They don't even need tactics at this point. They can just throw troops at the objective, even.
Experiment632
level2
level2

Postby Experiment632 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:46 pm

mvm900 wrote:
China has the most active personnel in the world. They don't even need tactics at this point. They can just throw troops at the objective, even.
Yeah...our troops are much better trained and equipped then the Chinese PLA. The only way they can win in the end is to use nuclear, chemical, and/or biological weapons which will most certainly trigger a US nuclear response. It would take a miracle for the enemy to defeat our troops by conventional means. Oh and miracles are WMDs too and calls for the US to release their "miracle busters" aka tactical nuclear warheads.
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:56 am

mvm900 wrote:Any supposed 'technological difference' can quickly be ironed out by a google search, even.

Technology is about the application of knowledge, not the acquisition of it. Neither you, nor a team of your best engineering friends, will be able to construct a stealth fighter in under 10 years time if you were to start today (and even assuming no interference from any governmental agency, anywhere in the world). You may even understand radar theory better than I do, and you still won't be able to do it. The technology is simply not that ubiquitous yet.

There is a real, quantifiable difference in American vs Chinese military technology today. The 20 year figure may be inflated, but it is a nonzero number. The 20 year number is also, explicitly, not a hard number. What I mean here is that 20 years ago, the Chinese were not 20 years behind the Americans. They were most likely closer to 40 years behind in 1993.
mvm900
level0

Postby mvm900 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:04 pm

Yeah...our troops are much better trained and equipped then the Chinese PLA. The only way they can win in the end is to use nuclear, chemical, and/or biological weapons which will most certainly trigger a US nuclear response. It would take a miracle for the enemy to defeat our troops by conventional means. Oh and miracles are WMDs too and calls for the US to release their "miracle busters" aka tactical nuclear warheads.

Training is good, yes. But do you need it when you have /that many troops/?Of course not. Need I remind you of Korea? When we pushed to the border of China, they essentially /threw troops at us/. And, according to many soldiers of the U.S./U.N., they 'fired hundreds and hundreds of rounds at them but they just kept coming'. And to the globalization thing, of course there may or may not be a difference but you don't need to know everything about something to build it. If you can get a vague idea at the least, with time, you can acquire something more of it. And china has their own scientists and money and people. Not to mention the fact that technology doesn't mean everything, if I were to assassinate somebody important that could potentially end a war right there with nothing but a sniper rifle and a bullet.
International militant consultant.
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:37 am

mvm900 wrote: ...if I were to assassinate somebody important that could potentially end a war right there with nothing but a sniper rifle and a bullet.

When has an assassination ever ended a war? I can think of a few that were started due to assassinations. And one where the war had already ended in which the losers took a final vengeful stab. I'm not as well versed in eastern Asian history as I should be, so perhaps sometime prior to Marco Polo's expedition it happened...but I really can't think of any specific examples.
mvm900
level0

Postby mvm900 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:59 pm

Of course there aren't many, if any, wars that have ended via assassination. There also haven't been that many worldwide/'large' wars comparative to the length of time humanity has had. IE: WWI, WWII. Comparative, mind you. There also haven't been that many high priority assassinations during said wars. IE: A president/leader.
International militant consultant.
Experiment632
level2
level2

Postby Experiment632 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:14 pm

Okay due to a 100% lack of interest, Defcon Modern Warfare Version 6.0 (Korean Escalation) is officially cancelled.
TOM BUSCH-US
level2
level2

Postby TOM BUSCH-US » Thu May 09, 2013 7:33 am

mvm900 wrote:

Training is good, yes. But do you need it when you have /that many troops/?Of course not. Need I remind you of Korea? When we pushed to the border of China, they essentially /threw troops at us/. And, according to many soldiers of the U.S./U.N., they 'fired hundreds and hundreds of rounds at them but they just kept coming'. And to the globalization thing, of course there may or may not be a difference but you don't need to know everything about something to build it. If you can get a vague idea at the least, with time, you can acquire something more of it. And china has their own scientists and money and people. Not to mention the fact that technology doesn't mean everything, if I were to assassinate somebody important that could potentially end a war right there with nothing but a sniper rifle and a bullet.
So with lsss forces in the Korean war the US/UN prevented the North Koreans/Chises from obtaining their over all objective to take over South Korea! I'm sure that's what you meant just forgot! As for China or Russia vs the US. China/ Russia conventionally lose anywhere with the exception of a land war in their own countries, which the US would not do! If you want to talk numbers why did the Vietnamese beat China in their border war????? Vietnam was far outnumbered!

Return to “Mod Projects”