Defcon Modern Warfare (yeah, sue me)

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Synapse
level2
level2

Defcon Modern Warfare (yeah, sue me)

Postby Synapse » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:06 pm

I'm working on a mod that takes defcon out of the cold war and firmly into the current international climate. I understand that there are similar mods out there but I am working on something that stylistically brings the player into modern times by ditching all the retro elements of the game.

I am going with the tagline of something along the lines of Defcon who said war was fair? I think this reflects my sentiment well as the makers of realistic mods such as insurgency who were slammed by critics for making an unfair game but carried on anyway and created a great product for the sake of it.

I am currently working on:

Factions, the factions are the USA and Israel, the Middle East, China & North Korea, Russia and The European Union so far. I'm not sure what to do with the final faction yet. But the basics are:
-The US can place one facility in israel which will obviously be radar this reflects the strategic advantage point of israel.
- There is a lot more empty space (SA, most of Africa, eastern europe, india) which reflects a lot more neutral countries and expect to have conventional warfare over more grey territories.
- Russia loses access to some territories reflecting it's demise (areas like Chechnya are clearly not under USSR control any more)
- The Middle East faction incorporates Islamic nations that are seen to oppose western ideals (Saudi, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq, Syria etc) From quick game trials it is one of the strongest factions at present.
- China gets access to North but not south korea. Japan remains neutral.
- A new map reflecting earth curvature
- The USA now doesnt incorporate canada.
The European Union will not include all EU countries only those with active military histories (GB, France, Germany, Sweden, Italy etc)

I am also working on:
New units keeping a simplistic approach but modernising the entire affair. No more migs and b2 bombers I have replaced the bomber with a tu-95 model and also the fighters. I have changed the 'blur' bmps using contrast tool to create a mirage type image which is a lot more obscure and in the heat of battle could confuse you (to reflect the panic of losing radar sight of an object)
New interface and GUI themed on middle eastern fonts. Totally updated 'facts' no more cold war nuclear radiation facts it is all replaced with facts about Iraq, Russia-Georgia conflict, Palestine-Israel conflict etc. I will include a font for each faction (a bold military one for the US, arabic script font for the middle east, etc to allow players to customise their game)
New soundtrack based off the Black Hawk Down 'Hunger' track. (once again, sue me)

I have done several trials with CPU based on purely the territories so far with some interesting results. The USA is very strong as the pacific is larger on my map and there is no SA. But the middle east has been ranking a close second and I guess that players would form alliances to take down the US. Europe is as on defcon pretty weak but I Have moved the sea spawning locations to remove Russias quick strike ability on Europe with subs.
Now All naval spawn points are based around docks there isnt a huge wave of sea that you can spawn in but several smaller bubbles reflecting ports.

Screenshots will be coming shortly however if you want to help out in anyway (any skill is useful, even getting facts off wikipedia relating to the iraq war) the manpower would be useful.

I am available to contact at synapsethereturn@hotmail.co.uk
Synapse
level2
level2

Postby Synapse » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:13 pm

More screenshots coming today
here is a quick look at the layout of the teams

Synapse
level2
level2

Postby Synapse » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:23 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFyUPRPMvcE

this is the soundtrack i was talking about, in case you havent heard it
Blackice45
level0

Postby Blackice45 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:58 am

I really like the look of what you are doing.

However I would just like to point out one thing, Pakistan should NOT be sided with the 'Islamic nations that are seen to oppose western ideals' as this is incorrect.

Pakistan is a member of 'The Commonwealth' as well as a major player in the United Nations.

If anything it would side with the west in any conflict that where to occur. (Hence the reason the USA has airbases currently IN Pakistan that it launches aircraft out of into Afghanistan.

So probably a good idea to change it (Would also help that imbalance problem you mentioned).
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:31 am

Blackice45 wrote:If anything it would side with the west in any conflict that where to occur. (Hence the reason the USA has airbases currently IN Pakistan that it launches aircraft out of into Afghanistan.

Maybe, maybe not. I agree that Pakistan does not belong in with the other Middle Eastern Islamic states, but it is not much more than a fair weather ally of the west.

xander
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:38 am

Pakistan's definitely trending away from alliance with the Commonwealth of Nations and the USA, and towards a more pro-Islamic faction. Though where it'll end up in the power structure of the Middle East is anyone's guess at this point. Pakistani's aren't exactly the biggest fans of either the Saudis or Iranians, and there's always India to worry about.
Synapse
level2
level2

Postby Synapse » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:12 am

been away, but still working on, new units

'small fighter' etc icons have been replaced with profile aircraft rather than topdown. fighters do not 'blur' when out of radar range, they disappear to reflect manoevrability.
Synapse
level2
level2

Postby Synapse » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:49 am

Other changes:

'Battleships' replaced by destroyers.
silo 'air defence' replaced by deployment of mobile SAM

SAM site in northern china:

Synapse
level2
level2

Postby Synapse » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:34 pm

sub strike

Admiral Yoshi
level3
level3

Postby Admiral Yoshi » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:46 pm

That was VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!
nuclear cocaine
level4
level4

VERRY

Postby nuclear cocaine » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:04 pm

Ya Im buyen it when do you expect a playable version ?
Synapse
level2
level2

Re: VERRY

Postby Synapse » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:18 pm

nuclear cocaine wrote:Ya Im buyen it when do you expect a playable version ?

well the gfx are pretty much complete.. mapping is slow cos i work full time as an accountant.. and then id like to actually do lots of minor work on it like the sounds and gfx and all the side info that scrolls on the menu screen..but i'll release a 'beta' if you will in like a week. cause I need to see how the factions work in real life not with AI anyway

thanks for the feedback by the way
Synapse
level2
level2

Postby Synapse » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:26 pm

this is the map im currently working on however im wondering if its accurate in terms of dimensions or whether i should work with the defcon map? i really wanted something showing all the borders accurately.

nuclear cocaine
level4
level4

Postby nuclear cocaine » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:50 am

Is this gonna be a mod everyone has to be using? Or does it play over the normal game?
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:48 pm

Synapse wrote:this is the map im currently working on however im wondering if its accurate in terms of dimensions or whether i should work with the defcon map? i really wanted something showing all the borders accurately.

I think the projection type is not the right one. Australia and Southamerica bow into the middle. No mattter how you fiddle with the scale, the borders and cities will never fit. I forgot the name, but u need a projektion where all longitude/latitude cut each other in right angle and all longitude/latitude have same distance to each neighbour. Its means every pixel represents the same fraktion of a degree. Once you found such a map, u need to add 10 degrees in north and south. The map should be in a 16:10 format then. Defcon uses 512:285 map or so, but it should work with other scales as well.

Edit: see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equirectangular_projection

Return to “Mod Projects”