Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

warmshock
level1
level1

Reveal ALL Maps mod?

Postby warmshock » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:58 pm

Reveal ALL Maps mod?
Last edited by warmshock on Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:10 pm

While I'm not sure it would be possible, I am sure it would cause you to be out of sync with the rest of the players, thus rendering such a cheat unusable.

Just ghost as a spectator if you want to see everything. :wink:

(and then get banned from every dedcon)
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
warmshock
level1
level1

Postby warmshock » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:11 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:While I'm not sure it would be possible, I am sure it would cause you to be out of sync with the rest of the players, thus rendering such a cheat unusable.

Just ghost as a spectator if you want to see everything. :wink:

(and then get banned from every dedcon)

Why would it cause me to be out of sync? I'm planning on using this more in singleplayer and in terms of private lan games than online multiplayer... I wanna know if a mod like this is possible... doesn't the network already send all the data? and on singple player of course your own computer has the data!!!1

What do you mean by ghosting? Yes spectator can see all but can't play! Are you saying I can launch two copies of the same game? Would that cause network key duplication error?
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:13 pm

Well, perhaps you want to enable the team switching option in the advanced setting. Then, you can see and be the other players.
warmshock
level1
level1

Postby warmshock » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:15 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:Well, perhaps you want to enable the team sharing option in the advanced setting. Then, you can see and be the other players.

No , I just want to play CHINA VS USA (two players, each one team) with me being CHINA and opponent USA. Doesn't matter if single player, lan, or online...

But I would love a mod that opens up and reveals ENTIRE map (and hence make opponent silo, nukes, targets, airports, TARGETABLE..) without him knowning I can see everything..

Ghosting will not allow me to do this..
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:17 pm

warmshock wrote:Ghosting will not allow me to do this..

Why wouldn't it?

And yes, you can have multiple clients open with the same key. If connected to the metaserver, one will simply change to a Demo restricted client.
warmshock
level1
level1

Postby warmshock » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:18 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:
warmshock wrote:Ghosting will not allow me to do this..

Why wouldn't it?

And yes, you can have multiple clients open with the same key. If connected to the metaserver, one will simply change to a Demo restricted client.

But that's the point. people will SEE that I'm ghosting.. If I only play 1vs1 it will be obvious!
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:28 pm

warmshock wrote:But that's the point. people will SEE that I'm ghosting.. If I only play 1vs1 it will be obvious!

Excuse me? Are you seriously saying that you want to be able to cheat without people finding out?

I thought you said you wanted to do this against the AI. I doubt the AI would mind you ghosting.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:30 pm

And the problem with that, if you're intending to use it for single player or consenting LAN play, would be? (Edit: darn Xocraninja.)

And no, it's not possible to make such a mod. Yes, your game client has all the information. However, if you somehow make the enemy units and installation visible to you in a way that lets you directly target them, your units also will automatically open fire on them. And they'll only do that in your clients version of the game history, not in any other. Hence, you fall out of sync. You would need to completely hack the display and UI code to pay no attention to the 'should be visible' property. Certainly possible, but nobody here will do that for you.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:33 pm

I was actually right for once. :P
warmshock
level1
level1

Postby warmshock » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:36 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:And the problem with that, if you're intending to use it for single player or consenting LAN play, would be? (Edit: darn Xocraninja.)

And no, it's not possible to make such a mod. Yes, your game client has all the information. However, if you somehow make the enemy units and installation visible to you in a way that lets you directly target them, your units also will automatically open fire on them. And they'll only do that in your clients version of the game history, not in any other. Hence, you fall out of sync. You would need to completely hack the display and UI code to pay no attention to the 'should be visible' property. Certainly possible, but nobody here will do that for you.

What about not making them 'targetable' but just disabling "fog of war" so I can see where the strategic units are located?! In fact each client (server or not, online or not) already sees everything.. so the "fog of war" is really superimposed.. and not a default "limitation"..

I want to play against personal friends (not broader online people) in LAN or directip, and "cheat" without them knowing that I cheated.. which makes ghosting not so attractive option... and I also want to do this in pure offline singleplayer as well....
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:46 pm

warmshock wrote:What about not making them 'targetable' but just disabling "fog of war" so I can see where the strategic units are located?! In fact each client (server or not, online or not) already sees everything.. so the "fog of war" is really superimposed.. and not a default "limitation"..
Same issue: if they are targetable by you, they are valid target for automatic fire.

warmshock wrote:I want to play against personal friends (not broader online people) in LAN or directip, and "cheat" without them knowing that I cheated..
Even if it were possible, nobody here would help you with that goal. Well, maybe Jordy, but he certainly can't help.
Schubdüse
level5
level5

Postby Schubdüse » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:42 am

warmshock wrote:I want to play against personal friends (not broader online people) in LAN or directip, and "cheat" without them knowing that I cheated.

I'm curious. WHY exactly do you want to do this? Because you can't bear to lose? Or do you want to make your friends not to play with you anymore?

BTW: I don't answer any pms, if the writer is unkown to me AND he doesn't bother to be polite AND he already has posted the pm's issue.
Vorsprung durch Kraft - Triebwerke saugen - Präzisionsarbeit... Schubdüse.

Return to “Mod Projects”